Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2015 12:06:45 PM EDT
Thinking abt a possible move to Omaha for a career change.  Have a few questions:

1. Moving by myself and prob not bringing much.  Looking for extremely cheap housing (600/month or less). roommate?  Possibly even renting a room type of situation (family will be staying behind for a while).  ideas?
2. How are the gun ranges (indoor and outdoor)?
3. Any ARFcom gatherings (meet, greet, eat, shoot events, etc)?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm on my phone, so I'll keep it short.... Omaha sucks as it pertains to gun laws. Live in a suburb if possible. Good luck with the search!

Not really any arf get together but the NFOA has monthly breakfasts and an annual meeting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thinking abt a possible move to Omaha for a career change.  Have a few questions:

1. Moving by myself and prob not bringing much.  Looking for extremely cheap housing (600/month or less). roommate?  Possibly even renting a room type of situation (family will be staying behind for a while).  ideas?
2. How are the gun ranges (indoor and outdoor)?
3. Any ARFcom gatherings (meet, greet, eat, shoot events, etc)?
View Quote

Occasionally people get together, but it hasn't happened as a group for a while.  There's a couple indoor ranges, a third being built, a fourth was planned but I haven't heard anything about it for a while.  Outdoor, for an organized range Eastern Nebraska Gun Club is probably your best bet.  For land, make friends with shooters, they'll usually know of private land to go shoot on.

Omaha gun laws suck UNTIL you get a NE CCW.  Get that ASAP.

Before you buy/rent, ask about areas.  PM me if you need to, I'll respond.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't buy a house in Douglas County unless you want to live under the Omaha regime or be conquered by it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Really looking for an extremely cheap place for just me, for 6-10 months.  After that, a transfer could happen or the family would end up joining me. I would be on nights, so if I had a roommate or was somebodies roommate, who worked days, I'd prob never see them.

Does Neb recognizes carry permits from other states?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I drive 25 miles into Omaha to go to work for a reason.
If a bit of a commute doesn't bother you, look at outlying areas, stay out of Douglas county.
Fremont, Blair etc. depending on what part of Omaha your working in can be as quick of a drive as across the city. I drive 27 minutes, people that I work with spend more time in their car than I do.
Rent can sometimes be stupid cheap in some of these small towns.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
What abt some of the downtown lofts.  Craigslist listed some, one was 500 ish with all utilities. These seem ok?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What abt some of the downtown lofts.  Craigslist listed some, one was 500 ish with all utilities. These seem ok?
View Quote

Link?  That's way to f'in cheap for downtown.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Scott, welcome potentially to Nebr.  I retired and moved back here from MO.  I guess that was not too long after you went to Ark.

We'd love to have you up here.  I haven't lived in Omaha for dozen years, so I can't help much, but stay western Omaha or Sarpy county, it's south.

For shooting get togethers its nothing like MO.  No cmmg or other ad hoc get togethers.  I however will be 3 hr west of you and I still have all my toys.  Feel free to get together to shoot.  I've even added more belt Feds and lots of siuppressors.  I'd probably have plenty of turkeys for you.  Here, they're like shooting a cow.  Just shoot off my porch.  None of that camo, decoys etc stuff my MO step kids do to shoot turkeys.

Hope it works out for you!,
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't find it now. Most were 600-800 for 600 square feet. This one was only 440sq feet and might have been only one avai or I might have messed up the location. It stayed it was close to crieghton?

V188, it would be great to see you again. I don't have any beltfeds but my MG collection has grown a bit. Not sure if they will be joining me or staying behind for a while.

Edited--  the 500.00 place was Bellevue..  https://omaha.craigslist.org/apa/5116869561.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't buy a house in Douglas County unless you want to live under the Omaha regime or be conquered by it.
View Quote

Plus the taxes suck. Of course if you're looking short term that may not matter as much.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Sarpy County is OK as well.  Commute to Omaha from there is quick.  Bellevue is the 3rd largest city in NE behind Omaha and Lincoln.  West of HWY75 is a little nicer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Douglas county will rape you on taxes, and sarpy police/sherrifs are dickheads (in my experience). However, my apartment is 630 a month for around 800 sqft. Have to pay electric and cable.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can't find it now. Most were 600-800 for 600 square feet. This one was only 440sq feet and might have been only one avai or I might have messed up the location. It stayed it was close to crieghton?

V188, it would be great to see you again. I don't have any beltfeds but my MG collection has grown a bit. Not sure if they will be joining me or staying behind for a while.

Edited--  the 500.00 place was Bellevue..  https://omaha.craigslist.org/apa/5116869561.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah.  Downtown Bellevue.  That makes much more sense.

That's not a bad part of town at all.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]
When you guys say Omaha gun laws suck, does that mean there's no state preemption law?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When you guys say Omaha gun laws suck, does that mean there's no state preemption law?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That's correct.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Bullet hole is a decent indoor range. They've had a couple rental suicides there, so it's a little creepy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top