Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2014 9:00:33 PM EDT
I drove through Nebraska today and noticed about a dozen (or more) locations on I-80 stating I-80 was closed if the lights were flashing, and actual gates on either side of the highway to shut it down.

What kind of secret-squirrel stuff you guys up to?

Took these pics heading west towards Cheyenne. Crazy storm. This is the last frame of the video before the flash white washes the screen.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Winter time they will shut down the interstate when conditions are unsafe. Main purpose is to shut down sections when needed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool pics OP!

I was one of the last cars they let through once when they were shutting it down for a Blizzard that lasted two days.  I should have gotten off right then and there.  It was pure hell white knuckle driving.  If something would have happened I'd have been in a life or death situation for sure.  I finally made it to Kearney.  Spent two nights stuck at the Holiday Inn.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the answer.. I saw the gates all the way across Wyoming too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top