Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2014 10:31:44 AM EDT
I know this is on  the NFOA forum but I figured since this is the home of the black rifle it should be posted up here also! I am planning on going to the April 6th date. I am happy to see that the Ike's is opening up to more completive shooting and I am planning on doing my best to help support it. Match Info

From one of the match organizers

Shooters,

The Lincoln Izaak Walton is hosting an event to knock the dust off your AR-15s and shoot some targets at 200 and 300 yards.  It is a short 30-round course being held April 6th & May 25th.  The cost is $10 each time.  You will be shooting at both Metal Silhouettes and Paper targets from the Bench, Sitting, and Prone.  The course is designed to be easy enough for beginners to have fun and challenging enough for experienced shooters to try for perfection.  

One of the main intents is to gather the multitude of beginning shooters who bought or built an AR-15 and get them comfortable with the idea of "match" shooting.  We experienced shooters will be around to offer guidance, talk guns, and rope new shooters into the fold.  

You should see this event pop up on Lincoln Ikes website sometime after Tuesday, the 11th.   I'm getting a jump on advertising and drumming up excitement. Mike, Chris, and I will be testing targets and working the details of how many shooters we can run at a time.  The match should take 1 or 2  hours to shoot for each shooter.  If there is great interest we will possibly extend the Challenge through the summer.  Share the flyer with anyone you know who ought to be out shooting!

Watch for more information about the match in the March Ike's news letter.

Ben Jochum

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Also I have spoken with Ben several times about this match. They are not throwing out many limitations on the match... The main thing is no ammo to crater the steel, be safe, and have fun!

This might be a little bit of a filler for a HTF shoot for now...
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also I have spoken with Ben several times about this match. They are not throwing out many limitations on the match... The main thing is no ammo to crater the steel, be safe, and have fun!

This might be a little bit of a filler for a HTF shoot for now...
View Quote

SomeGuy will be there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
My events coordinator said i can go, so i will welcome last place with open arms.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My events coordinator said i can go, so i will welcome last place with open arms.
View Quote

You'll have to beat me for that place.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Well guys looks like your all going to bave to bear me out for it! I went and shot at the ikes yesterday. It was a perfect day! The temp was perfect the wind was dead and i was attempting to sight in my scope... i never made it to the big boys range before it was time to gobut had a grate time! I need to get some powder and heavier bullets  and start working up target loads this summer. Any hints on what bullet to try? 14.5" barrel 1:7 twist. 300 yd max
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#6]
bumping this up!  24 or so hours from now Ike's will be over run with scary assault rifles... and it will be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Good time today! Rob and I were duking it out for last place in the Optics division. I had Rob beat after the last stage! First time I have ever really shot at 300 yards. I had to leave before the party ended because of some plans with the family kind of bummed I didn't get a chance to ping the steel. I think they had around 35 shooters. I hope to make it back in May and I am becoming a member in the near future.

Just a FYI
They are talking about doing two shooting times (9am and 12pm) for the May date to help make it shorter day for the shooters. They are also talking about to preregister though e-mail. I will pass on updates as they come up from NFOA and the Ikes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Last I heard it was 48 shooters I think. I didn't get there early enough but did go watch, then hit the open range time after about 2:30.
Nice to see that many local black rifles. I think I only saw a handful of guns without optics. Might have to rearrange my uppers/optics for the next one..
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I got the score sheet last night 37 names on the list and I know of at least 3 shooters that shot 2 guns. All and all a great way to spend a Monday!

Congrats to Alemonkey for taking 1st with a 279. I was in the way bottom of the bucket...
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I think a few guys forgot to turn in their score sheets.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Forgot or didnt want to. It was a great time and met some cool peeps. I hope to do it again
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Forgot or didnt want to. It was a great time and met some cool peeps. I hope to do it again
View Quote

I didn't want to turn my scoresheet in, but did anyways.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#13]
You shot Irons right?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You shot Irons right?
View Quote

Yeah
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a fun time, might have to check this out next time around
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I wish I could make this next one but that's my anniversary and the wife thinks we need to do something together for some reason.  I offered to let her shoot one of my AR's but she was not amused.

I would really like to shoot irons if they have another one after the May match.  My RRA National Match A2 upper is stupidly accurate.  If it had a rail to mount optics it would blow away the rifle I used in the last match.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Secure it with duck tape and bed it in peeps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Peeps are cheap... just went out of season...

I am not sure if I am going to make it to the next shoot... I am going to GI Friday for the Carbine Shoot.. Long Trip for a evening of shooting but should be a lot of fun! I think we have open seats if anyone wants to take along?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Secure it with duck tape and bed it in peeps.
View Quote
Stale peeps will be harder than devcon.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Giving this a bump since it is coming up this Sunday.

Anyone going to show up?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#21]
i will prob go again. i dont know whats all going on this weekend, since i got family coming in from out of state, so its not for sure but ill try!
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I dont know yet.... do we still have to email that dude and ask when we can shoot?
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I dont know yet.... do we still have to email that dude and ask when we can shoot?
View Quote

Sent Ben a text about this and he said they are going the match the same way as last time. The only difference is they are going to shoot only 200y and they are going to shoot chickens instead of rams. They are hoping that not having to tear down and set up the targets will save time. I don't think that I am going to make this shoot. I am planning a trip out to GI for there carbine shoot on June 6ths and I have to use my porch passes wisely.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#24]
So everything is shot at 200? Are they doing open shooting afterwards for members?
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes all stages will be shot at 200yards. I am not sure if they will have the range open after the match. I think they did last time. I am not going to make it out this time. I am hoping to make it to the June match.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#26]
is there going to be a sight in before the shoot starts at 9?
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#27]
is there going to be a sight in before the shoot starts at 9?
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#28]
This a e-mail that I got from one of the match organizers.....

Shooters,

Tomorrow is the 2nd Black Rifle Challenge at the Lincoln Izaak Walton Club.  Same time frame as before with a few changes that we hope will make the event go faster.  But first and always: Safety!  Remember to keep your finger off the trigger until you are right on target, and then score a 10X!

Here are the changes for round 2:

1. We will be shooting all paper at 200 yards so we don't have to take down target holders.

2. Steel Chickens will be shot instead of Pigs.  They are smaller but will fall over even with 55gr bullets.

The Ikes have let us sign up a 3rd BRC date which will be held June 22nd.  The idea right now is to shoot all paper at 300 and incorporate shooter feedback to improve the event.

See everyone tomorrow.  Come early and get your zero.  Last time we didn't get started right at 10 AM due to sluggish sighters.  That should be a goal tomorrow
View Quote

So yes they will have a sight in and I would recommend getting there early if you want to shoot before the match. I showed up at 8:50 and the line was out of the building didn't take long to get through but by the time I did they already had all the lanes filled up with shooters and had to wait. I probably would have gone if I didn't pull my scope a couple weeks ago and put a red dot to go to GI to shoot in the carbine shoot. I plan to hit that in June and I don't want to lose the crappy zero I have on it

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#29]
dont know if this is the place to be spitballing ideas, but i would like to see a low power scoped division added to next shoot. maybe like an iron sight division, a 0x to 3x power optic, and maybe a 4x power optic and up option???  

just a thought i had on my way home....
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 1:41:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
dont know if this is the place to be spitballing ideas, but i would like to see a low power scoped division added to next shoot. maybe like an iron sight division, a 0x to 3x power optic, and maybe a 4x power optic and up option???  

View Quote

This. I wasn't able to make it today but was thinking the same thing. Guys with eotechs, aim points can't stand a chance vs guys with 6-24x scoped 308's especially when one event is knocking down steel with zero points for hits that don't drop the target.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

This thread isn't really monitored by anyone that has a say in the match that I know of. I have no real affiliations with the match besides that fact that I know one of the match organizers. The best thing to do is either post your thoughts on the NFOA thread that he is posting updates in NFOA THREAD, If your not a member JOIN UP or you can send Ben a e-mail if you have been receiving the match results. I know they are looking at input and are willing to listen to anything you have to say. Are they putting the unmagnified redots in the iron sight divisions? to me that only seems fair.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#32]
i dont think i have seen anyone shoot just a red dot yet. if it were classified as iron sights i would totally take my magnifyer off and just shoot with my eotech!!!
and yes i think i will respond to ben's email and see what his thoughts are of adding a low power division. i know that if they do it would attract a lot more of the younger crowd like myself who only have red dots or eotechs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
i dont think i have seen anyone shoot just a red dot yet. if it were classified as iron sights i would totally take my magnifyer off and just shoot with my eotech!!!
and yes i think i will respond to ben's email and see what his thoughts are of adding a low power division. i know that if they do it would attract a lot more of the younger crowd like myself who only have red dots or eotechs.
View Quote

younger crowd

How old is the younger crowd? "TO ME" it should be magnified and unmagnified to keep it simple does a person really have a advantage shooting a red dot over Irons?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#34]
dont know, but last sunday i was the youngest by prob at least 10 years. im talkin late teens early 20's crowd. i know three other people that say they would have gone but didn't want to shoot against scopes since all they have are red dots for optics.

also ive noticed that its all ar15's for the "black rifle" but i know a guy with an ACR and other with a "tacticool" SKS that said they would go if it wasn't just for ar15's
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I personally would much rather use a high quality set of iron sights for precision shooting than a red dot.  National Match sights on an AR don't give up much to a scope.  The big advantage a red dot has over irons is speed, which isn't a factor in this game.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
dont know, but last sunday i was the youngest by prob at least 10 years. im talkin late teens early 20's crowd. i know three other people that say they would have gone but didn't want to shoot against scopes since all they have are red dots for optics.

also ive noticed that its all ar15's for the "black rifle" but i know a guy with an and other with a "tacticool" SKS that said they would go if it wasn't just for ar15's
View Quote

Once again I ask Ben if they would open it up to SKS and other "tacticool" stuff. I know they were open to HK's so I don't see why a ACR would be any different SKS might be stretching it but who knows.

As far as the age thing... Some of it is advertising. There are a lot of 20ish people with AR's but are not members of the IKES, arfcom, or NFOA. They do not shoot competitively and there AR is for the zombie apocalypse or shooting beer cans at 30yards. Its culture thing us youngins are cheap and don't see the point of going out and having to shoot targets in a certain way. They want to go blast though 100 rounds and giggle about it later.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Let's bump this thread up to the top. There is another Black Rifle Challenge June 22, who's all going?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll be there
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#39]
How'd everyone shoot? ik i saw at least one 100 (4x) benchrest score. I know i shot poorly, must have just had an off day...
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Eh I did alright, got the highest benchrest which was fairly surprising considering I saw someone with a .308 send every single bullet through the same hole during sight in.  
I need to put a little more importance on those chickens, they count for a lot in the total.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#41]
just a reminder there is an upcoming shoot this weekend. i wish i could be there but i have drill! to make it worse the next next shoot in aug is on drill again!!!

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll be at the USPSA sectional in Louisville.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#43]
HA! got the day off, now, which rifle to shoot!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#44]
hmmm.... maybe ill see if the event coordinator has anything planned.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Another shoot this weekend right boys? sounds like it'll be a lot different than before w/ standing, sitting 200 yard paper, then sitting 200 yard steel!

i think shooting starts at 9 again right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top