Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2016 5:26:40 AM EDT
I'm trying to figure out the location. From photos I've seen there is a ZSU and some others out there somewhere in good shape. Would love to take photos of them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where did you see the pictures?
View Quote

Buddy of mine posted them on instagram with another friend of his.  They were in an out of a ZSU and some other AA missile carrier.  All well maintained (at least on the outside) minus a light covering of snow.  Unfortunately they are kinda tight lipped about the location, so either they weren't supposed to be there or they don't want the location to get out.  

I have considered calling the Eielson provost marshall and asking about them, but that would just be a weird conversation
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The Yukon Training Area (YTA) has some Russian vehicles / radars scattered throughout.  If you go in on Johnson road, you will find the first few next to firebird assault strip.  Make sure that every adult in the vehicle has a Fort Wainwright RAP pass and is signed in.  Wainwright owns the training lands behind Eielson.

I believe I know the picture you just saw (we have some of the same friends on social media), and that was the ZSU right off firebird assault strip.  That's by no means a hidden spot, anyone who has driven into the YTA has seen that.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:43:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Yukon Training Area (YTA) has some Russian vehicles / radars scattered throughout.  If you go in on Johnson road, you will find the first few next to firebird assault strip.  Make sure that every adult in the vehicle has a Fort Wainwright RAP pass and is signed in.  Wainwright owns the training lands behind Eielson.

I believe I know the picture you just saw (we have some of the same friends on social media), and that was the ZSU right off firebird assault strip.  That's by no means a hidden spot, anyone who has driven into the YTA has seen that.  

View Quote

Oh okay.  I've never been back there in my life.    Kinda gave me an idea for a photoshoot come summer if I can get permitting for it.  Doesn't seem too difficult to get to, so I'll have to get a pass and try it out sometime.  I have some awesome ideas in mind.

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I just emailed the PWO guys about any special permitting since my ideas might take an afternoon and a truck or two of people and gear come summer.  Don't want to push any buttons by having that much camera gear for a semi commercial photo shoot out there  Would kinda suck that my first self planned shoot gets me fined or something.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Contact the Wainwright PAO.

I am your contact at the Wainwright PMO if you have any questions that fall within that lane.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Contact the Wainwright PAO.

I am your contact at the Wainwright PMO if you have any questions that fall within that lane.

View Quote

And it was the PAO, the acronyms just screwed me up.    Emailed these guys https://www.wainwright.army.mil/pao/ and also mentioned their site certificate for the site was expired.

Mostly was wondering if there was any extra permitting for a (semi) professional photo shoot out there.

Now I just need to figure out who's butt I have to kiss to be allowed to take helicopter photos from Montgomery rd or the like. But that's mostly me going 'ooh shiny' lol
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
YTA's got a ton of cool stuff. Going there when I was stationed at Wainwright in the Infantry was like going to Disneyland. They used to have a huge Russian rocket I assume was for the jets to mock bomb. You'll get some awesome photos there, for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top