Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2016 11:47:48 AM EDT
I am taking my wife to Alaska next year.  What is the best overall month to visit to see the typical Alaska sights?  We are not locked in to one particular area of the state.  It will not be June, July, or August.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Then maybe May, but hell JUne is BY far the best month to visit, everything is green, it is warm, lots of sunlight(like 20+ hours), and because everytyhing is green the fires haven't kicked off yet. September is usually super rainy. and hell October starts to get cold and snow is pretty standard. Depends on where you visit up north in Fairbanks summer is usually in full swing by mid may, in Anchorage it takes a bit longer but end of may is quite nice though tops of some mountains will have snow till 4th of July.(Yeah a snowball fight on flat top on July 4 is pretty fun). If you are here for memorial day there is a Alaska Machine gunner association meet up/camp out/shoot in Anderson(about 1.5 hours south of Fairbanks).
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
July.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
January
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
In southcentral at least, the sunniest time is late May-June.  Best weather if you define that as clear sunny skies.

rainiest is August.

Most people don't want to visit when it is cold.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
May or Sept has my vote. Kodiak usually has nice weather in Sept and some nice weather in May. Either way if you come in May or Sept you wont pay the stupid expensive hotel and car rates   If you are coming to Kodiak drop me a line. Would be happy to assist with 'pro tips' and a beer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#7]
May by far
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:54:36 AM EDT
[#8]
i visited last May and many locals told me it was a good choice. the tourist attractions were open, the thaw was done, everything was green, but no crazy masses of tourists yet.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are the most important things for you to see/do as that will dictate the time of year to come

Remember, Alaska is essentially 10 Wisconsin's laid out

So the climate/weather/daylight etc in one area will be vastly different than another area
View Quote

This! We went to Fairbanks in February for our honeymoon (-30F to 1F). All the touristy stuff is closed, but we went to try mushing and see UAF (the university, not the person uafgrad).
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#10]
When is the peak mosquito season?

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When is the peak mosquito season?

View Quote

When its warm

May-July, but southern and coastal regions can be bad through September if it stays warm enough.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can't stay  for at least 6 months, then choose January, without question.
The other 11 months are  watered down ' Almost Alaska '

Recommend  either  Delta Junction, or TOK if you like small towns.

If you need a CITY,  choose Fairbanks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:58:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I was there from halloween to just after veterans day.  it was a great time for me to visit because i wanted to relax and enjoy some quiet time.  keep in mind that many tourist attractions are closed or have shorter hours and towns like seward are practically quiet villages compared to the summer.  on the plus side, vacation rentals and rental cars were very cheap in the off season after summer but before ski season
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd vote May-September.

Then again, just got back from ten days over Thanksgiving, and it was still nice....guess it depends if you want the full tourist experience or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top