Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2016 8:42:10 PM EDT
What can you tell me about ADAK?

Can packages be shipped to ADAK via UPS, USPS, or Fed Ex?

What items are difficult to get on the island?

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Alaska Air and Era/Pen air charters were the only thing flying when I was there in 09. Twice weekly flights, thursday and sundays, and the very occasionional barge are the only way of getting stuff. USPS will be your cheapest option, since UPS and Fedex don't really have a delivery system there, either way, it all has to go by AK air Combi flights. Booze and food are pricey, $50 a case of beer, $100 a bottle of hard stuff. Two places serve food in town, the old gym that is the cafe/grocery store and the old officers club. All accommodations are old base housing, the place looks like a ghost town. McDonalds and bowling alley are boarded up, so don't  get excited when you see them. Lots of exploring to do and WWII stuff left behind. Its a seasonal hunting/fishing town. Lots of crabbers leave their pots there in the off season. Bald eagles are the most common sight, and are just a trash bird there. Go to the dump and see a hundred of them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool place to visit. I've been there once for a few days. There is a lake that is an easy hike from town. I believe the town pumped their water from it at some point. Maybe they still do. The place is mostly abandoned.

It's pretty up there. Lots of caribou to shoot although they are scrawny.

Very few people and the accommodations are stuck in 1985.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What takes you to Adak
View Quote

Our company is sending some folks there for a project.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Lucky them
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparently there is a caribou overpopulation issue currently so see if they can bring a .44 mag and bag one from the road. (should be pretty easy they are kinda like cows from what ive heard). When I was there in 09 I thought I was on the set of a zombie movie, broken windows lots of places, grass  growing through in some roads, almost no lights on, cloudy and windy;knowing you have no way out if you run out of ammo and you WILL get eaten... (probably didn't help that I watched a zombie movie on my phone on the way out...)
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apparently there is a caribou overpopulation issue currently so see if they can bring a .44 mag and bag one from the road. (should be pretty easy they are kinda like cows from what ive heard). When I was there in 09 I thought I was on the set of a zombie movie, broken windows lots of places, grass  growing through in some roads, almost no lights on, cloudy and windy;knowing you have no way out if you run out of ammo and you WILL get eaten... (probably didn't help that I watched a zombie movie on my phone on the way out...)
View Quote

For the most part, the herd lives on the other side of the island and boat is the easiest way to get them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top