Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 3:58:00 AM EDT
So, the background story.  

June of last year my wife and I purchase a home in the Sand Lake area of Anchorage.  We haven't even been in the house for a year yet.

Lately, we've notice that the next door neighbors 10-13 year old son has been shooting his BB gun out in their back yard.  I have no problem with the kid shooting, provided that he does it in a safe manner and under direct adult supervision.  Well, since the snow has melted, we found hundreds of BB's all over my back parking area, garage and dog run areas.  We've spoken with the mother and she seemed genuinely concerned and said she would take care of the matter.  That was about 6 weeks ago.  

Today we found more BB's in the parking area where they had been cleaned up before (although we me have missed some).  Also spotted the kid and his friends shooting near a moose in the area.  I'm getting a little pissed the the parents are not supervising the kid as they should.  In addition, Anchorage Ordinances prohibit the use of BB guns (air rifles & air pistols) except for established shooting ranges.  

I don't want to be a hard ass or the asshole neighbor and push this with the cops. but I also don't want my widows shot out or my dog and other wildlife shot at and harassed. I have 3 sons that I raised in the Sand Lake area.  They've had the opportunity to shoot just about every firearm I own from a 22 rifle to AR's to 338 Win Mag.  But they've always done it safely and under my direct supervision.  They even owned BB guns but NEVER fired them in town.  They were only allowed to open shoot them while on camping trips outside of congested areas.

That being said how would you handle this situation?  Your input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have what might be considered unpopular and not politically correct opinions on a couple points you made.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of traction on your request for adult supervision.  If the kid is running around with a BB gun unsupervised it's unlikely it will be taken away and only used with his parents around.  I'm not even sure you can expect that of a 13 year old, when his parents have already given him free reign.  I can remember when my friend got his first bb gun, we shot everything that moved  and lots of things that didn't.  We didn't mean any real harm, though.

About shooting at moose and other wildlife.  I don't think you're going to get any satisfaction there either.  it's unlikely if he ever gets it in his head to shoot at a moose, that you or his parents are going to be able to stop him.

Now shooting at you, your house, your dog, your stuff.  That's a different story.  I'm extra sensitive to getting  on the bad side of the neighbor kids.  Especially the 13-17 age ones.  In our last house, I looked a little too long (in their opinion) at a small group of them at our corner one day.  My reward...  Four smashed car windows over the next 3 weeks.  Not much I could do to stop it.  Thankfully I eventually figured out who it was and threatened the parent that I had video footage (I lied) that I would take to the police if it didn't stop.  the blackmail worked.  I never saw those kids again.

Oh, to think of all the things I would have liked to do to those little brats...  But in the end it was best to de-escalate.

I figure if you push it with the parents, get his bb gun taken away, you better hunker in for war.  I doubt a 13 year old has much else going on in his life except to make you miserable.  And it's not like you can kick his butt, or you'll be the one going to jail.  Plus who wants that grief from their neighbors.

If I were you I'd have a talk with the kid.  I'd be nice, but I'd tell him outright, you would really like it if he would shoot someplace else.  I wouldn't mention the ordinance or talking to his parents.  Treat him like an adult and he might just act like one.

if you think he is shooting at animals, I'd mention that a good hunter avoids being cruel to animals.  Shooting an animal with something underpowered might at worst get you killed and at best hurt the animal for no good reason.  Hell, tell him (or make up) a scary-ass bear hunting story, so he knows you know your way around guns and maybe looks up to you as a fledgling shooter.

And, uh you might want to buy some surveillance cameras.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with putting up the cameras. The kid is smart enough not to get caught doing it so far.   Also might mention to the neighbors that you are installing a security system to hopefully make the neighborhood a little safer....blah blah blah.    Then I would just 'blackmail' the parents into proper parenting.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the kid shooting? Teach him what right looks like?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top