Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 4:01:54 AM EDT
I need some advice, I've got a group of military guys coming up here and they want to do a half day float/canoe trip in the local area while they are up here. No hunting or fishing, just getting out on the water and seeing some of Alaska. I haven;t been out enough to have any idea where to go.

Any of you guys done something like this? Salcha/Tanana? THey will have a few rental cars, I was thinking about dropping them off and driving to a spot down river and leaving the vehicles for them to drive back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:16:54 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO if you are staying in town...ish, the Chena would probably be the safest to float.  Could drop them off at the Nordale boat launch and pick them up at Pikes by the airport right before it hits the Tanana.  The tanana would probably be a bit rough to just drift, especially with all the wood and stuff that gets shoved downstream this time of year.

To be honest, I've never heard of anyone floating the Tanana without some kind of motor as a backup.  Now of you know anyone with a johnboat or the like, it gets a lot simpler.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO if you are staying in town...ish, the Chena would probably be the safest to float.  Could drop them off at the Nordale boat launch and pick them up at Pikes by the airport right before it hits the Tanana.  The tanana would probably be a bit rough to just drift, especially with all the wood and stuff that gets shoved downstream this time of year.

To be honest, I've never heard of anyone floating the Tanana without some kind of motor as a backup.  Now of you know anyone with a johnboat or the like, it gets a lot simpler.
View Quote

I did Chena river from way up  Chena hot springs road to the base ODR center boat launch. took probably 6 hours? There were a couple trees over the water in places and a few submerged logs to get caught on but not bad. been 10 years now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The Chena would be perfect for what you want.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
If you start up near Rose Hip campground, its a nice day and a half float to downtown when the river is normal. If you aren't looking for an overnighter, then Nordale to downtown is a good 6-8 hours, or Grange Hall Rd for a good 12 hour float.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:27:53 AM EDT
[#5]
THanks everybody for the input, I'm going to scout of the Chena this weekend, I think that would be what they are looking for and it's close! Much appreciated again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top