Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2016 9:51:06 PM EDT
June 30 to July 14.

June 30-  Land in Anchorage the evening, staying at some hotel (I forget the name).   Going out to eat and drink, then getting up in the morning to buy road trip needs.  Driving to Talkeetna for dinner.  Then driving on to Denali (staying at Riley RV park).  I actually booked it through the July 4th, which I am thinking may be too long.   I ll go with it at this time.

July 4th-  Drive to Fairbanks.  Debating a day flight into Anatuvuhuk pass.  Part of me wants to fly to Barrow just to say I was there, but I am keenly aware that there will not be much to do.

July 5th- Drive from Fairbanks to Chitina-  6+ Hours?  Spend the night in Chitina.

July 6th- Drive into McCarthy.  How much time do I spend in Wrangell - St Elias?  I will say 3 days for now.

July 10th- Drive back toward Anchorage.  Maybe spend the night in Nelchina?

July 11th- Nelchina to Seward.  Spend the last few days on Kenai.

July 15th- Fly home out of Anchorage.

Also for this trip we are looking for rafting day trips in any of these areas.  Can be either a float trip or a white water trip.  I am just taking recommendations.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Pass on Chitna for those days.  That is probably the biggest fishing spot in the state (residents only) and the most popular weekend.  Closer to an 8 hour drive btw.

There is a whitewater place in Denali Park, I think they are called Blackwater Rapids or something similar.  Been years since I've driven that way though, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pass on Chitna for those days.  That is probably the biggest fishing spot in the state (residents only) and the most popular weekend.  Closer to an 8 hour drive btw.

There is a whitewater place in Denali Park, I think they are called Blackwater Rapids or something similar.  Been years since I've driven that way though, so YMMV.
View Quote

Chitna is just a stop off before the drive to McCarthy.  We are not there to fish.  I am wondering how crowded McCarthy will be?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Denali has a couple of different options for rafting.  There is also six mile creek on the way to Seward which is class IV and V whitewater if that is what you are looking for
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
June 30 to July 14.

June 30-  Land in Anchorage the evening, staying at some hotel (I forget the name).   Going out to eat and drink, then getting up in the morning to buy road trip needs.  Driving to Talkeetna for dinner.  Then driving on to Denali (staying at Riley RV park).  I actually booked it through the July 4th, which I am thinking may be too long.   I ll go with it at this time.
  Im not sure if you realize that Anchorage to Talkeetna is a 2 hour drive and then another 2.5 hours to Denali or so.  Construction could change that however.  What are your plans for Denali?  Back Country Hiking?  Rafting?  NPS tour to Wonder Lake?

July 4th-  Drive to Fairbanks.  Debating a day flight into Anatuvuhuk pass.  Part of me wants to fly to Barrow just to say I was there, but I am keenly aware that there will not be much to do. What is the purpose of the flight to Anaktuvuk pass?  

July 5th- Drive from Fairbanks to Chitina-  6+ Hours?  Spend the night in Chitina.
Might consider a detour to Dawson NYT to visit Diamond Tooth Gerties
July 6th- Drive into McCarthy.  How much time do I spend in Wrangell - St Elias?  I will say 3 days for now.
Going to Kenicott?  Check with rental car company, many roads in Alaska are no go with rental cars
July 10th- Drive back toward Anchorage.  Maybe spend the night in Nelchina?
By Nelchina, do you mean Eureka Lodge?  Nelchina isn't much.  You could always make a run to Valdez.  Its a cool drive and Valdez is a neat city
July 11th- Nelchina to Seward.  Spend the last few days on Kenai.
Don't stop at Seward.  Head down the peninsula and catch Kenai (Kenai river) and Homer
July 15th- Fly home out of Anchorage.

Also for this trip we are looking for rafting day trips in any of these areas.  Can be either a float trip or a white water trip.  I am just taking recommendations.

Denali has a couple of different options for rafting.  There is also six mile creek on the way to Seward which is class IV and V whitewater if that is what you are looking for

We have a goal to see all 59 National Parks.  And by WE, I mean wife has a goal to see all 59.  So far we have been to 18.  The whole trip is based around National Park visits.  The flight to Anatuvuhuk Pass is just a way to say we went to Gates of the Arctic.  I think maybe on a future trip we should probably consider doing a pack raft trip down Gates and Kobuk Valley.

Our rental is a Jeep, not an RV.  The owner did indicate he would make a special exception to drive into McCarthy, since my wife was dead set on going into Wrangell St Elias.  The only forbidden terms were 1) No off roading 2) No Dalton Highway 3) No going into Canada.   Not really a big deal since I cannot take my pistol into Canada anyway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Chitna is just a stop off before the drive to McCarthy.  We are not there to fish.  I am wondering how crowded McCarthy will be?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough, just expect to see heavy traffic and that is all one lane. Half the folks will be hauling boats.  It's a real shame the cafe in Chitna closed years back though, it was freaking amazing.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top