Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2016 2:05:56 AM EDT
While looking for a training class in my own state, I found one in AK around the dates I was also looking to visit some family.. I would assume my tacticooled AR w/ 16 inch barrel and muzzle brake plus those evil hi-cap mags and Glock 23 plus evil high-cap mags are fine to bring. Just wanted to check on that. My real question is more about the weather. The class is at the end of July. What kind of weather should I expect?. This time of year in MO is usually 80-100 degrees, maybe some rain, maybe not. Will need serious rain gear? Light jacket, hoodie, cold weather gear? Thanks in advance.

Also looking for a decent place to stay and eat in Talkeetna for a couple days.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
While looking for a training class in my own state, I found one in AK around the dates I was also looking to visit some family.. I would assume my tacticooled AR w/ 16 inch barrel and muzzle brake plus those evil hi-cap mags and Glock 23 plus evil high-cap mags are fine to bring. Just wanted to check on that. My real question is more about the weather. The class is at the end of July. What kind of weather should I expect?. This time of year in MO is usually 80-100 degrees, maybe some rain, maybe not. Will need serious rain gear? Light jacket, hoodie, cold weather gear? Thanks in advance.

Also looking for a decent place to stay and eat in Talkeetna for a couple days.
View Quote

We don't have any mag cap laws if that's what you were getting at. Also around July the weather can vary some summers its rainy but the past 3-4 years its dry and sunny I would say 75-90s on the exteme end. What city exaclty will you be in? Fairbanks gets really crazy hot in the summer like into the 100s my experience that I have mentioned above is living in Eagle River and Anchorage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The class is at Upper Susitna Shooters Association for a couple days. The closest place to stay looked to be Talkeetna. The majority of time I will be in Anchorage though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Be prepared to pay out the ass for a rental car and any rooms during that time, also you should be making reservations now if youre serious about going. In July the weather is generally in the high 60's but can be up in the 80s during the day. You may get some rain, just know that when it rains up here it takes days not just a quick pass through like in the midwest. Bring longsleeves as the mosquitos will eat you alive up there. Also fly up with your ammo. Alaska air allows 50 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be prepared to pay out the ass for a rental car and any rooms during that time, also you should be making reservations now if youre serious about going. In July the weather is generally in the high 60's but can be up in the 80s during the day. You may get some rain, just know that when it rains up here it takes days not just a quick pass through like in the midwest. Bring longsleeves as the mosquitos will eat you alive up there. Also fly up with your ammo. Alaska air allows 50 pounds.
View Quote

I forgot about the mosquitos! Thanks for that, just added bug spray to my list! I looked into hotels/cabins the other day, just need to call them to set the final plans. I'm still not sure what to do on ammo yet, I knew one of the airlines was a limit of like 11 pounds, but if Alaska Air is 50 I may just bring it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you verified there is a slot in the class?  I thought they sold out a while back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top