Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2015 10:15:58 PM EDT
Lets talk USPSA, multigun, long range, etc gun competitions in the Anchorage area (or within 4 or 5 hours drive).  From looking at USPSAs website, I see there are three practical pistol clubs in Alaska:  Anchorage, Kenai, and Fairbanks.

I am an avid practical pistol shooter and 3 gunner, so wanted to know what the scene looks like in the Anchorage area, as my possible relocation back to Anchorage may be on the horizon.  

For those of you who shoot in the Anchorage/Kenai area, these are my questions:

1.  I have been on the Anchorage practical shooters page as well as the Snowshoe Gun club in Kenai.  It appears in Anchorage there are monthly and even bi-weekly practical pistol matches at Birchwood and indoors in Palmer.  For those of you who shoot these, whats the typical match look like?  Whats the average round count, how many stages, etc?  With the indoor matches, how do these work: how many stages, avg. round count, how involved vs. outdoor matches (I have never shot an indoor match, so how does it differ vs. a traditional USPSA outdoor match?).

2.  For the Snowshoe Gun club, how often do they have practical pistol matches?  Is it once a month?  If so, which months?  Does the average match consist of 5 or 6 stages, average match minimum round counts, etc?  

3.  When it comes to multigun (3gun) in Alaska, what clubs host these, how often, how many a year, what kind of round count, how far out are they able to get their rifle targets?  

4.  Precision rifle.  Is there such a thing in Alaska?  If so, whats the typical match?  Whats the course of fire look like, where are these matches, how often, etc?

*Yes, I know the best information will be from contacting these specific clubs but I was hoping to both gain information and also possibly have a discussion on competitive shooting in the Anchorage area.  

Thanks everyone!

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I did a couple IDPA USPSA matches at both palmer(indoor) and birchwood(outdoor) and a 3 gun match down in kenai (glockfan from the above post was at all of them).  

Indoor matches in palmer were about 150 rounds of pistol, well planned shooting spots, ( there is only one direction of backstop) and they went from as short as 6 rounds to as high as 45 for the long stages. IIRD minimum of 3 stages but usually 4 or 5. 2 guys who really schooled the rest of us, but were really cool about offering pointers and techniques to help new guys get better.

Indoor match was one stage everybody does it, next stage setup, everybody does it next stage.

outdoor match @ birchwood was 2 setups on same range , left would run,   right would run, record and patch. repeat.

3 gun match in seward was 2 lanes independently of each other IIRC been like 7 years (I went through about 30 rounds buckshot, 150 pistol, 200 5.45. and a precision rifle on a 3rd but I didn't own a gun for that then.

birchwood usually has a 3(or 2 dpendinding on stage), match every month, I work sundays so I cant say for sure what happens. they also have Friday night steel with .22's and Thursday? night ladies steel challenge.

4. Precision rifle. Is there such a thing in Alaska? If so, whats the typical match? Whats the course of fire look like, where are these matches, how often, etc?

Lot of precision rifle, guy that makes Wiggies sleeping bags is HUGE in the scene and hosted a pair of guys who are top shelf for 1 class, it sold out so fast they added a second and third weekend class. ringing steel at 1000 was pretty standard I guess.
never been to a match, so I cant say if  they exist, but if not you could easily start one. Lots of people hunt and getting a couple stores to donate gift certificates or prizes, range reservation for a match on a 300 yard range would be doable, couple safety ppl and your golden I would think.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lets talk USPSA, multigun, long range, etc gun competitions in the Anchorage area (or within 4 or 5 hours drive).  From looking at USPSAs website, I see there are three practical pistol clubs in Alaska:  Anchorage, Kenai, and Fairbanks.

I am an avid practical pistol shooter and 3 gunner, so wanted to know what the scene looks like in the Anchorage area, as my possible relocation back to Anchorage may be on the horizon.  

For those of you who shoot in the Anchorage/Kenai area, these are my questions:

1.  I have been on the Anchorage practical shooters page as well as the Snowshoe Gun club in Kenai.  It appears in Anchorage there are monthly and even bi-weekly practical pistol matches at Birchwood and indoors in Palmer.  For those of you who shoot these, whats the typical match look like?  Whats the average round count, how many stages, etc?  With the indoor matches, how do these work: how many stages, avg. round count, how involved vs. outdoor matches (I have never shot an indoor match, so how does it differ vs. a traditional USPSA outdoor match?).

2.  For the Snowshoe Gun club, how often do they have practical pistol matches?  Is it once a month?  If so, which months?  Does the average match consist of 5 or 6 stages, average match minimum round counts, etc?  

3.  When it comes to multigun (3gun) in Alaska, what clubs host these, how often, how many a year, what kind of round count, how far out are they able to get their rifle targets?  

4.  Precision rifle.  Is there such a thing in Alaska?  If so, whats the typical match?  Whats the course of fire look like, where are these matches, how often, etc?

*Yes, I know the best information will be from contacting these specific clubs but I was hoping to both gain information and also possibly have a discussion on competitive shooting in the Anchorage area.  

Thanks everyone!

View Quote

1.  In Anchorage pistol pistol matches at Birchwood are steel challenge bring 300 rounds of ammunition or so. The three gun matches generally are 3 or 4 stages with 150 rifle rounds fired 100 pistol rounds and about 30 shotgun shells and sometimes 5 to 10 slugs.

2. With the indoor pistol matches they are a lot of fun typically run 4 to 6 stages depending on number of shooters who show. You generally shoot 100 to 150 rounds. I have not been to one of these in a while due to it being such a long drive from where I am at. But they are still fun matches and you should check them out.

3. Snowshoe matches are generally the best pistol matches for me. Lots of steel targets you shoot 6 stages (100 to 150 rounds or so)  and you start at 10 am and get done around 1 pm. Its quick well organized and your done without spending all day. However Kenai matches stop in the winter generally in September. But check the web page to be sure.

4. For multigun the only regular matches are at Birchwood and they are fun as I mentioned above. For once a year matches I host one down here in Seward every memorial day. Its a prize table match.  But I have not got the energy in the summer to do regular club matches. Maybe in the future.

5. Precision rifle is new and so far we have F class style matches in Kenai the next one is on October 18th at 10 am. Its all at 300 yards. But full on precision rifle matches have not yet started up in Alaska I hope they will.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top