Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 11:33:45 PM EDT
I'm leaving this great State and I'm planning on shipping all of my ammunition down to the Tacoma area in Washington State using American Fast Freight.

At this point, I haven't reached out to them yet, but I did ask one of there workers a few years ago when I had something shipped to Alaska.  The guy stated that ALL the ammunition has to be in factory packaging or in specific plastic (Hard) ammunition packing trays with tops.

Basically, I have about 60 or so .50/.30 cal. ammo cans filled with ammunition that is still in their factory packaging, so I don't see any issues with that or with the other 10 plus sealed metal tins or the sealed cardboard factory cases.  BUT!! I also have about 15 South African "sealed" plastic Battle Packs of ammunition, which I plan on placing into plastic "milk crates" just to keep them together... Would that be an issue??

Also, any ideals on how much the "hazardous material" shipping charge??  ...I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sent you a PM about this.  Ammo is generally worth more in AK, may want to offload some of it if you have time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless the ammo is irreplaceable, I'd just sell it locally.  I'm sure someone will chime in with more precise details but I've seen transit/hazmat fees between $10-50 per case when it is all broken down.  BUT it has been years since I've dealt with any of that.

Cheaper to buy when you get to your destination IMO.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely agree.

Only reason I brought mine with me was because I was getting paid for the weight
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm hoping to see what it might cost me to ship all my ammo... If its too much, I'll sell some, but time isn't on my side.

Thanks for all the info!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#5]
1)  Weigh the ammo
2)  Pretend you have a pallet (or get a pallet) and stack the ammo in a cube shape.  
3)  Measure H, L, and W of cube.
4)  Call AFF and ask for a quote.  They'll send you a quote within hours.

Their hazardous certification fee is $1.80 per cwt with a $49.05 min and $235 max per tender.

They're really easy to work with.  If I was moving I'd probably ship the ammo just due to the PITA that it is to replace.  To make it cheaper you'll need to drop it off in Anchorage and pick it up in Fife.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top