Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2015 5:10:11 AM EDT
So, a friend wants to find a business building tiny houses up here. What do you guys think? Would that go good or bad up here. We are talking spray foam insulation and building pretty tight.

Any thoughts on a Good business name? Tundra Tiny Houses?

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#2]
For remote cabins, it would be very dooable and profitable, BUT he would have to have a way to get to remote areas... Know any UH60's that are looking to practice "remote terrain sling load drop off and reload"?

Hawk nuggets?
Playing up the insulation properties, "the hot spot"
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Tiny AK Yurts
Oh, wait.
TAKY
Maybe not.

Cozy Mansions
Tiny Luxury
A Little Luxury Housing
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For remote cabins, it would be very dooable and profitable, BUT he would have to have a way to get to remote areas... Know any UH60's that are looking to practice "remote terrain sling load drop off and reload"?

Hawk nuggets?
Playing up the insulation properties, "the hot spot"
View Quote

Easy to get them there in most places..drag them in the winter on a sled behind a track rig..it would require a trail packed first but not an issue.. OP, I have a buddy who has a delorian track rig(old groomer) that would do it, he uses it to haul gear into his mining claim..We built my cabin here in town and dragged it out behind the hunting buggies(44" buggies) but mine was built, then the walls and roof were layed down for transport ..then reassembled, ....helps lower the COG and makes it low enough to haul easier.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:24:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Something "igloos"

There's a tiny house by knik 3-bears
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
If we had property for it, the missus and I have talked for years about getting one.  At most, even just a slightly larger than mini house that was two floors.

Personally, I think there is a market for em up here.  Especially as the economy is getting worse, people don't want to spend $100k.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Something "igloos"

There's a tiny house by knik 3-bears
View Quote

That one cost much less than 100k.  Of course he spent the last winter in the front seat of his side by side.

A bit too small for me and Mrs. Blues....
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Modern Igloos
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
They are already a thing up here. There are a couple tiny house mini villages in the gold stream area that a guy built and rents them to UAF students.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#10]
With as many duplexes are being built on KBG road, there seems to be a market for tiny homes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
We were talking about houses like this...

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:28:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Aviator, this is what mine looks like..we hauled this in behind the hunting buggies in the fall, we built it with tall walls so we could make an upstairs loft in it.cabin is only 10X12. its 2x6 walls,  2X10 floors, 2X8 roof..an well insulated, you can show up at 2 am in the winter when its -40, light the heater up and with in an hour its comfy in shirt sleeves, with in 3 hours its warm to the toes in socks....Sorry for the crappy pic, but I don't want people out messing with it...(which has been an issue with hunters over the years)It looks small, but a 6'er can stand straight up at the peak up stairs, and the downstairs is about 6'6".. its a great cabin for out in the middle of nowhere....
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Aviator, this is what mine looks like..we hauled this in behind the hunting buggies in the fall, we built it with tall walls so we could make an upstairs loft in it.cabin is only 10X12. its 2x6 walls,  2X10 floors, 2X8 roof..an well insulated, you can show up at 2 am in the winter when its -40, light the heater up and with in an hour its comfy in shirt sleeves, with in 3 hours its warm to the toes in socks....Sorry for the crappy pic, but I don't want people out messing with it...(which has been an issue with hunters over the years)It looks small, but a 6'er can stand straight up at the peak up stairs, and the downstairs is about 6'6".. its a great cabin for out in the middle of nowhere....
<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/3-25-2012%20%20%20%20Eureka%20ride%20in%20march/DSC00877.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/3-25-2012%20%20%20%20Eureka%20ride%20in%20march/DSC00877.jpg</a>
View Quote

Can't blame ya for not giving any info on the where.  Lot of that bullshit happening lately.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can't blame ya for not giving any info on the where.  Lot of that bullshit happening lately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/3-25-2012%20%20%20%20Eureka%20ride%20in%20march/DSC00877.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/3-25-2012%20%20%20%20Eureka%20ride%20in%20march/DSC00877.jpg</a>

Yeah it sucks,I would rather leave it open and let others use it, but no one has any respect for others property(which is what we started out doing) it is a permitted legal cabin  on public land(thats quite the task to under take all by it's self), We have had it vandalized 5 times over the last 10+ years not counting having bears destroy it 3 times(all due to others using it and leaving food in it). But there is nothing better then having a quality cabin far from the road system although we have 1 on the road and 4 far from the road in our group that cover most of the area so we are pretty spoiled....well built window shutters and screwed down bear boards are a must, as well as protecting it from small animals(squirrels, porcupines)... 2 of the 4 we run propane heat(including this cabin) 1 runs oil, and 1 runs wood..all have advantages and disadvantages but we are starting to prefer propane, its less mess, easier to transport, reasonably cheap, and not a lot of work...the road cabin(more a house really) runs oil as well but I would put it over on propane as well if I had my way...

ETA:.. Another thing, always make the doors open outward, and make sure you use long screws to anchor the door frame to well anchored door opening studs,we have found bears can take an inward swinging door down pretty easily, even a small bear, they have a much harder time on outward swinging doors, we haven't had a issue now for at least 4 years, but if we have to fix another we will go to a commercial steel door/frame versus residential exterior stuff... and bears never leave the way they come in, they make a new exit as well......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top