Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 5:08:46 PM EDT
I have been searching for some sort of online or paper maps like the BLM maps or Cadastral that I used to use in MT but I cant find anything. The spatial something rather mapping system on the BLM and the DNR maps online are way too confusing for me to figure out. I just want a simple NON GPS thing I can use to locate state and federal land here around Fairbanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have been searching for some sort of online or paper maps like the BLM maps or Cadastral that I used to use in MT but I cant find anything. The spatial something rather mapping system on the BLM and the DNR maps online are way too confusing for me to figure out. I just want a simple NON GPS thing I can use to locate state and federal land here around Fairbanks.
View Quote
GPS is the only way.

Not all the boundary's are marked like MT or as easy to find.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GPS is the only way.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GPS is the only way.

So how did people figure out where they were back in the dark ages of the 80's and before when there was no GPS? I find it hard to believe no one makes maps or that there never have been any made in the past.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So how did people figure out where they were back in the dark ages of the 80's and before when there was no GPS? I find it hard to believe no one makes maps or that there never have been any made in the past.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GPS is the only way.

The maps are outdated by quite a bit.

Rivers,slough and lakes have moved or dried up since the 60's.

In the 80's and before people did not really care who was hunting on what land.

That has all changed up here sadly.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Topical maps from USGS  have been available since the dark ages.  I used to buy them when I went on outdoor trips, though they required using a compass.  They are available online these days.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
While the USGS maps are fine for navigation and terrain they don't show property boundaries.

This is the BLM map that I am talking about where green is national forest, blue is state land and amber is BLM. There would be other colors too and enough named roads on the map that you can tell where you are when you are driving around.

I have yet to find anything remotely like this for Alaska or anyone who has any idea of what I am talking about which is what lead me to believe that no such thing exists for the state. I will have a GPS before I hunt next year I just cant swing $500+ right now just so I can bird hunt. That's why I want / need to be able to look at a map and find out figure out where federal and state land is at so I can just go to those places.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, this site will show you private land and other things http://dnr.alaska.gov/MapAK/browser?map_select

Check out the land ownership map.

Then this site shows you Alaska state and federal lands, including BLM  http://dnr.alaska.gov/ssd/lris/gis/gis_maplib/search_results.cfm  This might be what you are looking for.  Check out this map for Northern Alaska http://dnr.alaska.gov/gis/raster/map_library/y2009/lris/gua/GUA_02012010_N1mil.pdf

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, this site will show you private land and other things http://dnr.alaska.gov/MapAK/browser?map_select  

Check out the land ownership map.

Then this site shows you Alaska state and federal lands, including BLM  http://dnr.alaska.gov/ssd/lris/gis/gis_maplib/search_results.cfm  This might be what you are looking for.  Check out this map for Northern Alaska http://dnr.alaska.gov/gis/raster/map_library/y2009/lris/gua/GUA_02012010_N1mil.pdf

View Quote

That last map it pretty helpful. Its amazing how much land is public.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Of our great state, only 7% of the land is available for private ownership...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top