Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 9:39:06 PM EDT
I have been looking and looking and unless I'm blind or retarded I can't find in the game regs where it talks about shooting light hours for hunting in Alaska. In Montana they published a chart in the back of the regs but I'm not finding anything.

Also I can't find where there is any mention of what meat has to be salvaged out of grouse and ptarmigan. Where I last lived it was generally accepted that you had to salvage the breasts and legs off medium size birds and even wing meat off geese though most people never did.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this because I'm not trying to get effed over for not removing enough meat from a grouse before I toss the carcass or get ass jacked because I thought you could shoot a half hour past sunset when you cant.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I've been able to determine, there are no "shooting hours." If you can see it with the naked eye/scope, you can shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as I've been able to determine, there are no "shooting hours." If you can see it with the naked eye/scope, you can shoot it.
View Quote

How has "your mileage varied" in the field so to speak? Have you ran into any wildlife troopers who have said one way or another? Like I said I'm not trying to get much lunch eaten. This state loves to put it in your butt with fines and confiscation of all your stuff for minor infractions.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Reg

From page 13

SHOOTING HOURS
Migratory bird hunting is permitted from one-half hour before sun-rise until sunset. The tables included in this book (based on U.S. Weather Bureau data) are exact shooting times, starting on Alaska
Daylight Time and changing to Alaska Standard Time on the first
Sunday in November (November 2, 2014). Shooting times differ by latitude and longitude, and change daily.
If you are not at one of the listed locations, you may estimate times by adding 4 minutes for each degree of longitude West, or subtract 4 minutes for each degree of longitude East of the nearest listed loca-tion. Example: if you are in Kotzebue, you are 3 degrees east of the nearest location, Nome. Your shooting will begin and end 12 minutes (3 degrees x 4 minutes) before the times listed for Nome.
View Quote

Then there are a ton ofl charts for your area.

Oh and for migratory birds and meat salvage...
You must salvage all the edible meat of game birds for human
consumption. For ducks and snipe this is definedas the meat of
the breast. For swans, geese (including brant) and cranes this is
definedas the meat of the breast and meat of the legs and thighs (femur, tibiotarsus, and fibula).
View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:45:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How has "your mileage varied" in the field so to speak? Have you ran into any wildlife troopers who have said one way or another? Like I said I'm not trying to get much lunch eaten. This state loves to put it in your butt with fines and confiscation of all your stuff for minor infractions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not listed anywhere in the regs. I've yet to encounter a wildlife trooper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? I am surprised.. over the years we have had them show up in moose camp on wheelers, helicopters and even land planes.. they are pretty good about visiting in busy areas, especially during moose/boo hunts. Most of them are real laid back, and very nice..just make sure you are obeying the laws..game laws in AK seem to be more important then human laws....I used to run into the biologist out in Eureka year round, pretty cool peeps..once found  a couple of the game cops in the bottom of a canyon up at petersville after a 3' dump..both riding trail sleds and buried out of sight with everything up hill from where they were stuck..we got em unstuck and busted a trail for them where they were headed...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
So I just realized you were talking big game shooting hours... my bad lol

Shouldn't Internet while working a mid shift
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It is a waste taking only the breast meat of any of the game birds or any game.

We cook damn near all of the bird.

Lot of flavor in them bones.

Have run into state and fed game cops in the middle of nowhere.

No problems with any of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top