Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2014 9:40:00 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good pair of warm boots to place in the back of my patrol vehicle in case a personal SHTF. I'm looking for a boot that wood be good if you had to stand in place or have little movement lets say a vehicle accident to one that would be good if you had to do a search and rescue and had to walk miles in them. I'm wanting warmth and waterproof would not mind if the boot was shin high or anything like that. I'm also looking at snowshoes as I think they would help a lot if I had to walk in deep snow for sometime I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on the snowshoes boot on the other hand I will spend more on thanks for the advice.

p.s Any good advice on a parka? Looking at the Canada Goose told they are the best but $800+ kind of to throw down on a parka.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Well if you can find a few pairs of surplus white bunny boots, those would be the most ideal if they are just in case. If you are wearing them constantly, I would go with a set of Baffins.

As for a parka, I like my Carhartt Arctic grade jackets. Haven't failed me yet down to -87 with wind chill and proper layering in between. They are a lot tougher than those canadion goose project ones.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Baffins for boots

If you have the coin, I would go with a Wiggy's jacket
They are out of Anchorage
View Quote

+1 on Baffin.  They are about $2-300 for a pair but are the absolute best.  Bunny boots will work in a pinch though.  Big thing to remember on coats though, leave room for layers.  Sweating will kill you faster than the cold.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well if you can find a few pairs of surplus white bunny boots, those would be the most ideal if they are just in case. If you are wearing them constantly, I would go with a set of Baffins.

As for a parka, I like my Carhartt Arctic grade jackets. Haven't failed me yet down to -87 with wind chill and proper layering in between. They are a lot tougher than those canadion goose project ones.
View Quote

This.

As for snowshoes msr or tubbs go bigger than your weight keep in mind it the weight that will be on the snowshoes not you in your skivies weight.  If you go cheap on snowshoes make sure you carry zip ties and bailing wire for fixing them when they crap out on you.  Also get trekking poles to go with them the stability and support help a lot.  I would also recommend gaiters OR croc expeditions.  Snow up your pant legs is not fun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto for Baffin and Canada Goose.  Thats what I own. Yea, the stuff is pricey,  but just like firearms it could save my life someday.  So I don’t cheap out, and only buy the best.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Baffins for boots
If you have the coin, I would go with a Wiggy's jacket

They are out of Anchorage
View Quote

Wouldn't hurt to throw a Wiggy's sleeping bag in the back.  You can keep them compressed for a long time without loss of loft.  They used to supply USAF with a vacuum packed bags for pilot survival kits.  I love most everything Wiggy's makes.  All my sleeping bags including for the cold outdoor winter (with the hat and booties) are Wiggy's.

And another +1 for Baffins

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the help. So what do you all use for pant to keep the cold and wet off you? Just old time snow pants or is there something better?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Gators and a light snow/rain that I slip over my usual works pants. Usually a rubber one from helly hanson or carhartt
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gators and a light snow/rain that I slip over my usual works pants. Usually a rubber one from helly hanson or carhartt
View Quote

I normally wear just my carhardts, but I'll +1 to whatever Sig says.  He gets sent to work in the worst frozen snow filled butthole parts of the state.  I just fuck around in the snow.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Rain pants are cheap and inherently wind proof as well so they are easier to replace than buying a whole new dedicated snow pant. Also they will just slide right over what you are wearing already and keep you from having to do an entire wardrobe change behind you car at -Fuckitscold* F
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top