Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 6:50:59 PM EDT
I was wondering how the folks of Alaska get their firearms from the Lower 48 up to Alaska being Canada is in the way and wont allow many guns through?  Do you fly, ferry or ship them all? Whats the safest and least expensive as I'd rather not use the gouging FFL dealers up there on transfers or sales. Are there ammo limits for travel? Thanks

Also, does the HARP program bother Alaskans or  do you accept it in exchange for being a patriotic "Great American" as Sean Hannity on Faux News would say.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Ship them to yourself to your final destination. No ammo through the mail, only by freight forwarder via barge system.

I drive through Canada with shotguns, lever/ bolt action rifles all the time but no no to anything more fun. You can drive through with 5000 rounds. Cost is $25 for up to 6 guns I think.

If flying, go Alaska air. They allow 50lbs of ammo and $75 gets you an up to 100 pound overweight bag. I have flown with 2 pelican 1740 cases weighing 98lbs each and carrying 6 long arms and 8 pistols before as well as my limit in ammo.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... and $75 gets you an up to 100 pound overweight bag.
View Quote

Wish I had known that. My brothers got early Christmas presents when I lightened my ammo load.
Otherwise, yes on ship the guns with your stuff or fly with them. Make sure to declare them right away at the airport.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I was wondering how the folks of Alaska get their firearms from the Lower 48 up to Alaska being Canada is in the way and wont allow many guns through?  Do you fly, ferry or ship them all? Whats the safest and least expensive as I'd rather not use the gouging FFL dealers up there on transfers or sales. Are there ammo limits for travel? Thanks
View Quote

Yeah god forbid a dealer charge to do a transfer. It's not like he has better things to do. Using his time accepting and logging in the guns and sitting on them till you show up and then having to set up a time for you to show up and get the guns, running background checks and then doing more paperwork after you are gone. They probable have nothing better to do. What a piece of shit for charging for that. Fucking gougers.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah god forbid a dealer charge to do a transfer. It's not like he has better things to do. Using his time accepting and logging in the guns and sitting on them till you show up and then having to set up a time for you to show up and get the guns, running background checks and then doing more paperwork after you are gone. They probable have nothing better to do. What a piece of shit for charging for that. Fucking gougers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on now Viper, we all know that every single transfer comes in with all the info the bound book needs.  People would never ship without that, and make the FFL have to do a lot of legwork just to log in a single gun.  That would just be silly, people would never be stupid enough to screw stuff up like that.

For fucks sake, $25 isn't a bad deal.  Expecting the FFL to work for free is freaking asinine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you sure they all charge just $25 No one said anything about free either
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
I quit doing transfers except for friends or known customers that I like. I used to do transfers for $10. The amount of time it takes for a transfer is worth more than that. I had people cause all kinds of trouble, had people show up drunk, had people show up to my home late at night drunk, push their way in and hassle my wife when I was not at home, I had people send stuff, never pick it up, and then insist that I send it somewhere else, but would not pay shipping.

I had a guy have a dealer send firearms without any previous contact, with a fake phone number and address, and we sat on them until he showed up with an expired driver's license that he said he does not renew because of the trouble he has with the police. When I refused the transfer, I was inundated for several years with vicious emails from him. He was found standing in our neighbor's yard watching our house, he tried to get me in trouble with the ATFE, he would show up in the middle of the night and refuse to leave, he spent nights outside the window of my children's room, and he sent certified letters saying that he had the right to use deadly force to recover his property and defend his constitutional rights, and if I did not give him the pistols, my children's lives were in danger.

I got sued for refusing to do a transfer without an ID, and it took almost a year, countless days spent working with attorneys, and thousands of dollars in legal fees. I won, but the cost was astounding.

So yeah, I think a dealer should get paid for his work. Most good dealers don't charge a lot, anyway, at least not enough to cover the work required. You may be easy, but the next guy might cost $15,000 in legal fees.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

. . .  I'd rather not use the gouging FFL dealers up there on transfers or sales. Are there ammo limits for travel? Thanks
View Quote
I'll say this, too. You might save $50 by ordering a gun from out of state. Then you have to deal with shipping and transfer fees. In the end, in most cases you will end up paying as much as you would have paid from a reputable dealer. Over and over when I did transfers, I would ask customers, "Why didn't you call me? I could have sold this to you for less than you paid."

Keep in mind that dealers have to cover the sipping expenses, etc., they just cover them before they put the price on the gun.

Also, it is the local dealers who have the ammo in stock that you need to grab on the way to the range or to go hunting, or the other parts or accessories, or the holsters you want to be able to look at before you buy. When you stop supporting the dealers, all this goes away, and you can't just go down to the local gun store and grab what you need.

Buying local also keeps money in the local economy, which helps everyone.

I'm willing to pay a bit more if necessary to support the good local guys. The benefits are worth it.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I quit doing transfers except for friends or known customers that I like. I used to do transfers for $10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I quit doing transfers except for friends or known customers that I like. I used to do transfers for $10.

I for one appreciate the time that you did them, there was a time period when you were the second most called number in my recent calls list.

Quoted:
OR huh?
Are you buddies with graniteclimber?

That is by far the funniest thing I have read on here in a while.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh come on, we can always rely on Walmart to sell us guns and ammo (except when they get the slightest political pressure, or it becomes fractionally less profitable than selling trinkets, or or or) and we always have GraniteClimber to sell us .22 (except he doesn't sell any .22!).

On the other hand the local stores have to realize it is not the 1970's, and national competition is here both via Internet/mail order and locally via the big box stores. I try to shop and buy locally, and am generally willing to pay the same or slightly more for local ownership and , personal and professional service. But whatever your market is (wide or niche) you should generally have ample stock on your core products, and if you don't you should be able to give me as the customer a pretty good idea of when it will be in because you already have your restock order in (BEFORE you run out of existing stock). Ordering after you run out tells me that your customers are an inconvenience. If you offer special orders, those special orders had better arrive in a timely fashion and you should contact me when they do; usually I can order the same thing and get it as fast and at a similar price.

And finally, to end my random thoughts: It has been funny hearing some talk about Sportsman's Warehouse as different than Cabelas and Bass Pro, like they are local because they were here before the even bigger boxes.

For the OP: fly them or ship them to yourself, as others have said. If you are going to transfer them for whatever reason, then $10/transfer is cheap and beyond reasonable. Especially if you have left a transfer with the FFL for a year or so....
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Strange
I see someone spamming the fairbanks gun boards selling ammo cans and 22lr and telling the people that he drives up from anchorage

Could that be granite climber?
View Quote

Most likely. Haven't seen him post in a while.  ETA: Cheaper than Dirt AK location?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Oh come on, we can always rely on Walmart to sell us guns and ammo (except when they get the slightest political pressure, or it becomes fractionally less profitable than selling trinkets, or or or) and we always have GraniteClimber to sell us .22 (except he doesn't sell any .22!).

On the other hand the local stores have to realize it is not the 1970's, and national competition is here both via Internet/mail order and locally via the big box stores. I try to shop and buy locally, and am generally willing to pay the same or slightly more for local ownership and , personal and professional service. But whatever your market is (wide or niche) you should generally have ample stock on your core products, and if you don't you should be able to give me as the customer a pretty good idea of when it will be in because you already have your restock order in (BEFORE you run out of existing stock). Ordering after you run out tells me that your customers are an inconvenience. If you offer special orders, those special orders had better arrive in a timely fashion and you should contact me when they do; usually I can order the same thing and get it as fast and at a similar price.

And finally, to end my random thoughts: It has been funny hearing some talk about Sportsman's Warehouse as different than Cabelas and Bass Pro, like they are local because they were here before the even bigger boxes.

For the OP: fly them or ship them to yourself, as others have said. If you are going to transfer them for whatever reason, then $10/transfer is cheap and beyond reasonable. Especially if you have left a transfer with the FFL for a year or so....
View Quote

Or two and change

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't left a damn thing there...

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Most likely. Haven't seen him post in a while.  ETA: Cheaper than Dirt AK location?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Strange

I see someone spamming the fairbanks gun boards selling ammo cans and 22lr and telling the people that he drives up from anchorage

Douchebag. Filling up your cart with powder then going to every counter and having somebody else do it for you when you don't even reload, to go and flip it. Same shit with the .22LR. Bragging how you got around the box limits and getting 100+ bricks and still buying. Then posting pics of it everywhere and claiming you are not selling it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

You should leave a bunch of .50 BMG here. I'll be sure to take great care of it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You should leave a bunch of .50 BMG here. I'll be sure to take great care of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get the mount done?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The recoiless mount is back from cleaning. I need to disassemble it and repaint it but im not in too much of a hurry to do that. I know the rolling mount will take a while so i found another design i want to do in the meantime. Soo as i get that done it will be good to go.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I would donate a few rounds to see it    Will they let you touch that off on a Monday or Tuesday when BW is closed to the public?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I would donate a few rounds to see it    Will they let you touch that off on a Monday or Tuesday when BW is closed to the public?
View Quote

I have an EPM. I can shoot till the barrel melts and it shouldn't matter as long and the rules are followed. Barrels are kinda pricey so ill keep the round count low.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have an EPM. I can shoot till the barrel melts and it shouldn't matter as long and the rules are followed. Barrels are kinda pricey so ill keep the round count low.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do, too, that is what I was hoping...I wanna see it!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#24]
a note about 22lr: I have been getting a lot of requests for 22lr in Fairbanks, Delta Junction, and other far-out areas. I try to price all my ammo extremely competitively, which almost all of it is, however 22lr is just something that I cannot price match Wal-Mart on. It is extremely difficult for me to get in any kind of quantity and I go to great lengths to do so. There is also a great deal of overhead making this delivery route, which some don't understand. The loop I make costs an average $400 just in diesel fuel. If I priced the 22lr any lower, it would be sold out extremely fast, likely to resellers. If you purchase other products from me, I can work with you on the price of the 22lr, but if you just show up to get a brick for $20 and not interested in other ammo, that would put me out of business. Thank you for understanding.
View Quote

funny of course he can't price match walmart he wouldn't be making any money selling for the same ammount as what he bought.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

a note about 22lr: I have been getting a lot of requests for 22lr in Fairbanks, Delta Junction, and other far-out areas. I try to price all my ammo extremely competitively, which almost all of it is, however 22lr is just something that I cannot price match Wal-Mart on. It is extremely difficult for me to get in any kind of quantity and I go to great lengths to do so. There is also a great deal of overhead making this delivery route, which some don't understand. The loop I make costs an average $400 just in diesel fuel. If I priced the 22lr any lower, it would be sold out extremely fast, likely to resellers. If you purchase other products from me, I can work with you on the price of the 22lr, but if you just show up to get a brick for $20 and not interested in other ammo, that would put me out of business. Thank you for understanding

It would be sold out quickly. So he wouldn't have to keep driving it around then...

Sold to resellers? Really?? Then WTF is he??

Out of business? He is not a legal "business". There are no AK business licenses under the website name or his name. Hmm, wonder if he is adding that income onto his taxes?

AK is a big state. But it's small. Good luck pissing people off doing stupid shit like this and see how long you are "in business"

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep

Quoted:
Strange

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe that's why he stays mobile, so they don't catch up with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top