Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2016 5:20:10 AM EDT
Before I retired, I used to grow corn on my farm. My neighbor, with about 800 acres in corn and bean, sees crap like the Chinese stealing our seed corn and trying to "reverse engineer" it in China as yet just another step in the long process to eventually completely cut out any of our grain exports to them. They plan to grow their own corn and to blazes with our sales to them. We used to laugh and say "the Chinese will eat anything with legs, except an oak table." But now it seems they will pilfer and steal about anything. Wonder why it took so long in this case for "justice" to be finally served?

Seed Corn Thief Must Pay $425,000

As seed technology has become more costly and time consuming to develop, “in some people’s eyes, it makes it more advantageous for them” to try to steal it because it “enables them to get a jump on three to five years of research on the back of somebody else’s time and effort that was put in,” said Andrew W. LaVigne, the president and chief executive of the American Seed Trade Association.

American farmers are concerned that stolen seeds could give their Chinese counterparts an unfair advantage because they could get access to the technologically advanced hybrids at lower prices, said Dave Miller, the research director for the Iowa Farm Bureau.
View Quote

Designer Seed Latest Target of Chinese Thieves
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Few years ago I heard farmers saying they would shoot people stealing seed corn things have seemed calmer recently but every year they make a big thing to watch for people in the fields and people who are "out of place"
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
State sponsored espionage.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
But we aren't worried at all about the chinese buying up seed companies.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty easy to buy a bag of seed corn... This was supposed to be an 'example' but they caught one roach in an infestation...
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Only one out of 5 of the "thieves" got caught.  The other 4 made it out of the country.  The one who got caught spent the night with some honey in Florida and it delayed his flight.  He got caught getting onto the airplane.  Also the one who was caught was the brother in law of a Chinese billionaire.  (yes, billion)  He had the best local lawyers in Des Moines, I assume paid for by his BIL.  Since you don't get to be a billionaire in China without the governments permission I assume indirectly his defense was getting paid by the Chinese government.

Keep in mind one of the primary tenets of The Art of War is to pay you spies well, there is no doubt he will be richly rewarded for his troubles.  Also, while he was here in the USA waiting for trial, he was out on bond with 24 hour a day body guards making sure he did not skip town.  (His BIL had to pay for them as per a pre trial agreement)  He also was treated for cancer in Houston TX while he was here.   Would he have gotten the good cancer treatment in China?  Who knows.

Meanwhile what happens to American spies?  My guess is they go right under the bus courtesy of the USA leadership.   Since I work at the Federal Courthouse I got to see this whole thing play out over the course of 18 months.   kwg

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2016/10/11/chinese-man-going-to-prison-for-stealing-us-corn-seeds-dupont-trade-secrets.html
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top