Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2016 10:29:40 AM EDT
The DNR is going to be working on a new range next year. And they ware said to be charging to use the new one. Does anyone know if there are any ranges in Iowa that the DNR charges you to use? I am not sure on how I feel about this at this point. I realize it will stop some of the destruction that happens when the DNR is not there.  

I am being told that the DNR is going to be building a new range in Scott County next year and that the new range is going to be a pay to play type of set up. They have already purchased the land where it is going to go and they have it set up already for a Lead reclamation company to come in and clean up the old range.  There is enough lead and copper on the old range that the company is supposedly offering a rebate after it is done of over 200K. This was off of the samples of the soil they took around the old range. And they are not charging the DNR to actually due the clean up. The rebate is a % of the $ taken in from the lead recovery.

Oh well I guess I will have to find a new source of where I get my lead for casting. Maybe I will get a hold of the police range and see if I can mine that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Is this replacing the old Princeton range?  I grew up in D'port and spent many a weekend at that range.  

I believe the Olofson Range at Big Creek was pay to play but it's been years since I shot there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
All DNR ranges are now pay to play.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Name them and what they charge! I would like to know.

I emailed the actual DNR and they have not actually purchased the property.

This is what they said.

Mr. *****,
This spring the DLS Gun Club located west of McCausland was donated to the State of Iowa – Department of Natural Resources.  The Department is planning to renovate the existing gun club in 2018, or when budgets allow.  While the Department is very interested in increasing the availability of clay target shooting in the area, there has also been some preliminary discussion about moving the Princeton Range to this location as well.  This would allow us to provide a larger, cleaner, and most importantly, safer public shooting range. As I mentioned, there are no concrete plans at this time, and I do not expect the planning process to really begin until next spring.  

Chris Van Gorp Shooting Sports and Range Coordinator

I sent a reply back that I would like to know about public input. I feel that if they get a little input, the place will not be ONLY a shotgun place. Whenever the shotgunners get together at a club, they tend to take over and neglect the other types of usage at a range. I have also used a lot of different ranges all over the country and have seen some things that work and others not so much. Some things can be done to help reduce cost of the range. For one getting rid of the stupid boards they are using right now. It is costing a fortune to replace them every 2 weeks. Using another type can also help reduce bullet ricochet. I fish the Wapsi which is right behind the range right now and I hear bullets skipping over the berm ALL  THE TIME. And that is usually from people shooting at stuff on the ground.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the update.

I live in Scott County, and if there's any opportunity for public input I'll be happy to throw in my $0.02.

Please continue to post here if there's any more that comes from this!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
"When budgets allow" is DNR-speak for probably never.  Don't be surprised if DNR says we will build it if the community raises all the money for it.  I've seen them play that game before.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top