Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2016 3:07:52 PM EDT
I will be presenting two NRA Pistol Instructor classes in the area, ...

Lincoln, NE, on August 6/7 and

Concordia, KS, on August 13/14

Both classes result in NRA Pistol Instructor certification.

For more info, please email to:  [email protected]

Paul Horvick
NRA Training Counselor
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't swing a dead cat in this state and not hit an NRA Pistol Instructor.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn. Someone told me that there were two, maybe three residents of Gravity, Iowa, that still were not on board!  ??
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi Paul!
Do you happen to know of anyone that is certified to do North Dakota permit classes in the area? I *really* do not want to give MN any money after the most recent of the many screwings-over they have been handing out over reciprocity, and ND looks like a good way to get MN. (If there's another reasonable way to get MN, I am also interested to know it.)
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Damn. Someone told me that there were two, maybe three residents of Gravity, Iowa, that still were not on board!  ??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be but  seriously, how big is the market in Gravity Iowa?

I've been an instructor since 1997 (rifle, pistol,, shotgun, PP in the home).  NRA has been cranking out pistol instructors by the bushel basket for the last ten years, at least.  Every range in Iowa has some, just about every private club in Iowa has several.  Virtually everyone in my shooting circle is an instructor of some kind or another.  Only one instructs with any regularity.  I might help him once a year.  Otherwise I use my tags for the university rifle and pistol club I advise.  I get that Training Counselors want to make some money, and I get that NRA loves to make money off of us.  But anyone looking to jump into this pool is a good ten years too late, unless they have some serious military, LE, or competition chops.  

The one exception I'm seeing in the current market is if you want to instruct kids.  I know the Boy Scouts insist on NRA certs, I'm not sure where the other youth organizations stand.  The high schools like the coaching cert ( I have one for pistol) but I don't know if that's mandatory or not.  In any event most youth shooting is shotgun (we have four high school teams at my home club) or rifle (mostly air rifle at that).   With the age limit in Iowa youth pistol is extremely limited.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hi Paul!
Do you happen to know of anyone that is certified to do North Dakota permit classes in the area? I *really* do not want to give MN any money after the most recent of the many screwings-over they have been handing out over reciprocity, and ND looks like a good way to get MN. (If there's another reasonable way to get MN, I am also interested to know it.)
View Quote

I was a ND instructor, but dropped it due to some restrictions on the instructors.  The biggest hassle is that the class, either for the Class 1 or Class 2 Permit must be done in North Dakota.  So, unless taking a trip up to Fargo, there is not much hope.  But, MN has a similar issue; although the class can be done anywhere, the application must be made in person in Minnesota.  And, I am not aware of any other good way to get legal to carry in MN.  Sorry...
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was a ND instructor, but dropped it due to some restrictions on the instructors.  The biggest hassle is that the class, either for the Class 1 or Class 2 Permit must be done in North Dakota.  So, unless taking a trip up to Fargo, there is not much hope.  But, MN has a similar issue; although the class can be done anywhere, the application must be made in person in Minnesota.  And, I am not aware of any other good way to get legal to carry in MN.  Sorry...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Paul!

Ouch, that's an awful and useless restriction. Thanks for the answer though :(
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top