Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 9:00:50 PM EDT
Man, I've lived in this part of the state for over a decade, but I haven't found any good places to fish, aside from private farm ponds. Do you guys know of any good public lakes to fish? I'm looking for pretty much anything, including bluegill, crappie, largemouth, catfish or whatever. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea how good it is now, but Saylorville Dam used to be pretty good for eating size catfish and freshwater drum. Over 20 years since the last time I fished there though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Big creek and sayloville is the bet spot I've found. There's usually a big crowd at the bottom of the spillway but the fishing is good and so easy even the girlfriend has fun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Saylorville spillway is hot if you want to catch wipers. Red Rock is great for crappie, walleye sometimes, and the occasional deer.

Several years ago we used to slip back into the ponds behind Hallett, they are jam packed full of crappies and bass. You could catch a 5-gallon bucket worth of crappie in about an hour if things were right.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Try Mills dam in Panora. I'm always pulling nice sized walleye out of there with white jigs. Fish below the damn unless you want snags every cast
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
OST.  I can tell you some good places in Eastern Iowa, but I'm relatively new to the central part of the shape too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive never had any luck at big creek.  And if you dont have a boat, youre screwed.  A couple months back at saylorville dam i saw people slaying strippers.  Huge ones and lots of them.  Ive always had good luck with channel cats in saylorville
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#8]
You could always try the Bridge Fishing lifestyle downtown.

Show up in your van, take half your furniture with you and set up shop to fish all night. Smoke some crack rocks, get drunk, harass pedestrians.

Don't knock it till you try it. Might be the best thing you never knew you liked.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Show up in your van, take half your furniture with you and set up shop to fish all night. Smoke some crack rocks, get drunk, harass pedestrians.

Don't knock it till you try it. Might be the best thing you never knew you liked.
View Quote

My neighbor fishes almosy daily. He is always catching huge catfish and walleye downtown.

I suck at fishing. The most luck I've had was Ahquabi when the bluegill were biting empty hooks at the shore and Twelve mile and 3 mile lakes down by Creston for bass. There is also a 500yd range on the North side of the lake.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funniest part
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are looking for a smaller place to go that is public, go to Falcon Ridge pond on Altoona. It's good fishing. Thomas Mitchell Park just renovated their entire pond a few years ago and it is starting to produce some decent fish as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, you definitely know how to spin a good yarn.  

Thanks for the advice, everyone. We'll see how it goes. Wish I knew more farmers with ponds.....that's where the nice fishing is. I just catch and release, but it's tons of fun to me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you are looking for a smaller place to go that is public, go to Falcon Ridge pond on Altoona. It's good fishing. Thomas Mitchell Park just renovated their entire pond a few years ago and it is starting to produce some decent fish as well.
View Quote

Where in Altoona is this pond?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The city calls the street 14th Ave SE. The county calls it NE 80th St. Drive on 8th St  (main drag through town) to the East like you're leaving town and turn right (South) onto 14th/80th. The pond will be on the West side of the road. Most people park on the shoulder and fish but I park on 10th Ave Se and walk in on a trail to the western edge of the pond where there is a cove. That's where I've caught the decent sized Catfish.

Let me know when you want to go and I'll see if I can make time to meet you there. My kids are always ready to fish.

Edited for wrong info.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top