User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We need a list of anti gun legislator seats that are up for election and their districts so people in those areas can prepare for battle. I also head that mr Hogg is going to run for Senator Grassley's seat. Might be a good time to push for a pro 2nd amendment person in his district down by Cedar Rapids.
View Quote

You're correct, Hogg is running for US Senate against Grassley. The problem is he is literally right in the middle of his 4 year term in the Iowa Senate (he was re-elected in 2014). So when he (most likely) loses to Grassley he'll still have two years left on his four year term in the Iowa Senate. His running against Grassley is about developing state-wide name recognition for future elections. Everyone knows he's almost surely going to lose, but what the Dems are doing is planting that seed in everyone's mind so that when Chuck is no longer running, or when Joni is up for re-election, they already have a foundation laid. Despite what you might think, these people aren't stupid, they're playing the long game. And if we're not stupid we need to be thinking along the same lines.

ETA: IFC will be very active on the election scene this summer/fall. Expect to see a list of districts/candidates up for re-election, as well as specific calls for assistance from pro-gun guys. If we're serious about actually making some real progress in the legislature (and flipping the Senate) it'll take our guys getting out and actually working for it. That means doing things a lot of people don't like doing. Things like phone calling, door knocking, and volunteering with pro-gun candidates in specific, select districts where we stand to make a real impact. I'm sure it sounds like I'm on my soapbox, but it's the God's honest truth. There's no shortage of pro-gun keyboard commandos out there, but when it comes time to actually get up and do something they are mysteriously missing in action. Everyone likes to eat, but no one wants to hunt.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It allows you to carry a handgun for protection while hunting.

http://iowafc.org/2016-hunter-protection-act/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone explain the "Hunter protection act" is this ment for bow hunting?
It allows you to carry a handgun for protection while hunting.

http://iowafc.org/2016-hunter-protection-act/

While I am very glad to see this bill introduced (even though I don't bow hunt), I can foresee problems in interpretation of the bill if it becomes law.  I read it that you can carry any pistol or revolver while hunting for protection, but I can see where some may interpret that as to mean you can only carry a pistol or revolver that is legal for hunting, which would forbid many self defense handguns.

I hope I am wrong and that this passes, but could foresee a potential issue here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
ATV Carry Bill just passed it's first vote 2-0-1 in a House Judiciary Subcommittee hearing.

Representatives Brian Best and Rob Bacon voted in favor. No one opposed it. Liz Bennett abstained from voting so she could ask more questions and learn more about the issue before voting for or against.

Been a solid week so far.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ATV Carry Bill just passed it's first vote 2-0-1 in a House Judiciary Subcommittee hearing.

Representatives Brian Best and Rob Bacon voted in favor. No one opposed it. Liz Bennett abstained from voting so she could ask more questions and learn more about the issue before voting for or against.

View Quote

Good to hear thanks for the update

ETA whats the DNR's stance on this?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now they're listed as "Undecided."

Interestingly though... the Iowa State Snowmobile Association is against this. That's a real head scratcher for me. If you any of you ride "snow machines" I'd start making some noise with them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Derp -- double post
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont ride a snowmobile but WTF is their problem?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:24:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Emergency Protection Act passed its first hurdle yesterday, a House Judiciary subcommittee. Next up, the entire House Judiciary Committee.

Hearing Protection Act (suppressors) and the Youth Safety & Parental Rights Act (repealing the ban supervised youth handgun shooting) are tentatively slated for subcommittee votes early next week.
View Quote

It's been a week, any updates?  

VERY interested in suppressors, supervised youth handgun shooting, and cleaning up the CWP mess, especially making it confidential records.

I'll assume getting rid of prohibition (infringement?) on SBR is hiding in there somewhere so I don't have to do the idiotic "pistol" thing to an otherwise perfectly functional AR.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I dont ride a snowmobile but WTF is their problem?
View Quote

They claim it's because snowmobile riders already have a tough time getting access to private property to ride on and they think if riders are allowed to carry it'll make it more difficult.

Seems pretty weak to me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

VERY interested in suppressors, supervised youth handgun shooting, and cleaning up the CWP mess, especially making it confidential records.

I'll assume getting rid of prohibition (infringement?) on SBR is hiding in there somewhere so I don't have to do the idiotic "pistol" thing to an otherwise perfectly functional AR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Emergency Protection Act passed its first hurdle yesterday, a House Judiciary subcommittee. Next up, the entire House Judiciary Committee.

Hearing Protection Act (suppressors) and the Youth Safety & Parental Rights Act (repealing the ban supervised youth handgun shooting) are tentatively slated for subcommittee votes early next week.

No movement on the Hearing Protection Act. My guess: it'll be another week or two before it gets scheduled in the House Judiciary Committee for debate and vote. That's just my hunch though.

More importantly, the first funnel date is Feb. 19th. As long as any of these bills is voted on in their full committees before the 19th we're in good shape. If that doesn't happen by the 19th they're dead for the year.

All indications are that things look good in the House Judiciary and the House as a whole for all of these bills. Don't let that stop you from meeting your legislators on these issues or emailing or calling them though. We can't let this go stale. I just say that so you guys don't lose any sleep over this stuff. Where it gets hairy is when we (hopefully) send these to the Senate. Once we get there the full court press is on like Donkey Kong.

Regarding SBRs, that's not in the cards this year. Selling the idea NFA legalization to the uneducated masses is an uphill battle. Suppressors are the best place to start because of their hearing benefits. Once that's in place SBRs and SBSs become somewhat of an easier sell because we can point at suppressors and say "See these NFA suppressors are a non-issue so you may as well bring the rest of the NFA stuff to Iowa as well."
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Question:

You guys getting any feedback on any of this stuff? From your legislators? What about family and friends? I'm curious what you're hearing, feedback is very useful and helps us hone our arguments.

What do you need to be more effective?

I can't hold your hand for a lot of this stuff, but I want make sure I'm doing everything I can to help you guys get involved (and more importantly, what you can do to help get others in on this fight).
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Question:

You guys getting any feedback on any of this stuff? From your legislators? What about family and friends? I'm curious what you're hearing, feedback is very useful and helps us hone our arguments.

What do you need to be more effective?

I can't hold your hand for a lot of this stuff, but I want make sure I'm doing everything I can to help you guys get involved (and more importantly, what you can do to help get others in on this fight).
View Quote

I really dont think a lot of people know whats even going on needs to be a way to get it out there to everyone not just the hard core
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#13]
just some clarity...  

as far as the atv thing and no ptc while bowhunting goes, the reason the dnr was able to monkey with those is that there is a section of iowa code that specifically allows them to do so.  thus, they took the liberty.  i can't remember for sure where.  i want to say 385A or something, but i don't remember off hand.  so we're altering that in iowa code so dnr cannot do so.

regarding omnibus.  we had agreements and pledges in place that those specific items were a 'go' last year, so we wrapped them up together.  as it turns out, we were double crossed by people who'd never done so in the past.  thus, we split the bills up to avoid a similar situation this year.

IFC is putting in place a monster movement to target specific vulnerable districts for the senate.  they will be based on strategy and calculations.  for example.  hogg's district.  not sure if that one will play a role or not.  while i'd love to see him go, his area has a monster D voting edge so we could spend $500,000 there and possibly still lose.  so we're targeting specific areas where Ds who have voted poorly can be beat.  as much as i'd like to see the senate rid of hogg, quirmbach, peterson, jochum, and others, they cease being relevant the moment their majority is gone.  these are important things to remember.  IFC will certainly need volunteers both via electronic presence and physical presence in these districts.  i hope you all are up for it, as this is a big ramp up and will be the largest effort and coordination we've done yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#14]
oh by the way. it isn't 385A...  lol.  i wasn't even close.  if you guys need it, i'll see if i can find it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
just some clarity...  

as far as the atv thing and no ptc while bowhunting goes, the reason the dnr was able to monkey with those is that there is a section of iowa code that specifically allows them to do so.  thus, they took the liberty.  i can't remember for sure where.  i want to say 385A or something, but i don't remember off hand.  so we're altering that in iowa code so dnr cannot do so.
View Quote

That would be awesome no reasonwhy they should be able to write their own laws
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
oh by the way. it isn't 385A...  lol.  i wasn't even close.  if you guys need it, i'll see if i can find it.
View Quote

Snowmobiles is 321G.13(2) and ATVs is 321I.14(2).

The bowhunting is in 483A somewhere, I believe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:59:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll give you guys this info first, before Kurt has the chance to send it out in our weekly update e-mail:

Last week after the suppressor bill sub-committee hearing, Richard Rogers and I met with Rep. Matt Windschitl to go over the details for the permit privacy/straw purchase/renewal process clean-up bill.  Rep. Windschitl just got it back from the writers, and it's now alive and in the stack as HF2129.

Suppressors and the age bill may see the full House Judiciary this week, perhaps Thursday, but could be early next week too.

If you have questions or comments, flood Kurt's inbox.  He likes it.  I'm just the man behind the curtain.  

Just kidding...Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] if you need anything.  

Barry
El presidente de la Iowa Coalición de Armas
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
VOTES EXPECTED TOMORROW!

Youth Safety & Parental Rights Act
Hearing Protection Act
Emergency Protection Act

All should be voted on tomorrow afternoon.

Plus we also had the Privacy Protection Act introduced (HF2129).

IFC update just went out a very short time ago.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for the updates Barry, Caesar, and everyone else. I read the permit privacy bill through the email IFC sent out, but does it have the same stuff in it as last year?  Didn't specify.  Namely a centralized database to verify permits, and can a person check to see if another individual has a permit?  Just curious how much bullshit from IGO we're gonna have to combat this year?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.usacarry.com/iowa-house-panel-removes-restrictions-gun-ownership/

Does this make it law or are there additional hurdles still before we can get suppressors?

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.usacarry.com/iowa-house-panel-removes-restrictions-gun-ownership/

Does this make it law or are there additional hurdles still before we can get suppressors?
View Quote

Not even close to law yet
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Rush,

No worries, happy to drop in.  I don't do it terribly often, so if you ever need anything drop me a line directly at [email protected].  Anyway, this reply is going to have to be in two parts because apparently there's a 2,000 character word limit...?  Stupid.  But here's part one...

Yes, the new permit bill is the same thing as what was in the omnibus bill last year, with one exception: We spoke with DPS, and with their input a provision was inserted that regulates the relationship between the 99 sheriffs and DPS.  In particular, the sheriff has to issue applicants the paper copy, and within 14 days send the permit application to DPS, who then has 30 days to send you the hard card.  This just makes sure no reluctant sheriffs play games with you.  There will be no photographs, no social security numbers, etc., involved in the process either.

As for the "central database" issue, essentially that's IGO fundraising nonsense.  The "central database"  already exists, only in paper form, and is available to anyone in DPS or anyone in Iowa LE who makes a phone call and is willing to wait a couple days.  This legislation would simply bring this "old school" database into the 21st century by getting it on the DPS' system, which in turn makes it useful to us.  For example, it's a misdemeanor to carry without possession of your permit, even if you have the permit.  This is because nobody has any way to find out if you're telling the truth when you tell the cops you have a permit.  There's a window where you can prove yourself, but who wants to deal with the po-po and face criminal charges in the first place?  We also know that some of the states that don't recognize our permit don't do so because there's no way for anyone to verify the permit while some podunk cop's got you pulled over on the side of the road in the backwaters of nowhere.  So we can expect that to change for some of those states with this provision.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Part two:

I understand the objections to even putting the paper records on the computer; I have libertarian leanings too, so I get it.  But even so, the database does in fact already exist...It's just that right now it takes some poor intern a couple days to go into the basement and get back to the PD's request, instead of one phone call and an immediate answer it will be after this bill passes.

As for individuals checking to see if you have a permit, the privacy protections from the omnibus bill are indeed carried over.  In fact, they're a little enhanced actually...Matt Windschitl asked Richard Rogers and I what we thought about including a mandatory fee.  It was our position that since FOIA regulations already allow for a "reasonable fee" for time and labor, that such a fee for a permit inquiry would also be reasonable--and be yet another deterrent.  But that aside, the old provisions are still there: No mass or blanket requests allowed, all requests have to be for a specific person, the request must include basic biographical information for said person (ex: their address), the person making the request has to include their own biographical information plus a reason why the request is being made, all requests must be available to any permit holder, and lastly, all the person making the request gets is a yes or a no.  All in all, it's pretty tight and will be a damned sight better than what we've got now.

Hope that helps!

Barry
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Excellent, thank you very much Barry.  And I'm behind you guys 100% on these bills as I was last year.  I was just curious about the specifics because I was heavily involved with combatting IGO's lies and misleadings about these issues last year, and I don't expect this year to be any different.  Thank you for your time, we appreciate you dropping in here!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Interestingly though... the Iowa State Snowmobile Association is against this. That's a real head scratcher for me. If you any of you ride "snow machines" I'd start making some noise with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read today that the DNR and ISSA are neutral on this
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Yes, the new permit bill is the same thing as what was in the omnibus bill last year, with one exception: We spoke with DPS, and with their input a provision was inserted that regulates the relationship between the 99 sheriffs and DPS.  In particular, the sheriff has to issue applicants the paper copy, and within 14 days send the permit application to DPS, who then has 30 days to send you the hard card.  This just makes sure no reluctant sheriffs play games with you.  There will be no photographs, no social security numbers, etc., involved in the process either.

Why does the state need to be in the hard card business?  Several counties already do this and have invested a fair amount of money in the hard card machinery.  I just re-upped in Story County and got the plastic card for an extra $10.  Complete with picture which I think most counties also do.  

The central database thing doesn't bother me and theoretically will get us reciprocity in Minnesota, which I would like.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't like the state issuing the hard card either. I can get mine the same day for $10 extra. Why wait up to another 34 days for the hard card. Make it mandatory for all SO's to offer a standardized hard card for no more than $10 and leave it at that. Lets not reinvent the wheel and add more bureaucracy to the system.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:59:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Add me to the list of people that don't want the state involved in getting the hard copy ID.  In Mahaska we have no issue getting our cards quickly.  I understand that not all sheriffs operate this way in regards to gun rights, but involving the state is not a good idea in my opinion.  I would rather see the law require all sheriffs provide the hard copy ID in a limited amount of time and for a set reasonable price.  Everything seems to get done better at the local level as long as those in counties with anti-gun sheriffs are given some kind of protection.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's the breakdown of who's voted for what so far.

http://iowafc.org/blog/2016/02/09/active-gun-bills-in-iowa-who-voted-for-against/

ETA: grammar
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#30]
That D rep who said people have concerns about not hearing shotguns has obviously never hunted opening day of deer or duck season.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here's the breakdown of who's voted for what so far.

http://iowafc.org/blog/2016/02/09/active-gun-bills-in-iowa-who-voted-for-against/

ETA: grammar
View Quote

Thanks Kurt
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Mascher on 2281 (age restriction) - don't pass this bill for the children
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Antis are rebutting 2281 by bringing up instances that have nothing to do with the circumstances of this bill
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mascher on 2281 (age restriction) - don't pass this bill for the children
View Quote

There are bad parents out there who should let kids touch guns.  If they are bad parents they are likely to leave the gun out anyway so good thing the kid will now know there is a law against them touching a guns and not touch it now.  Parents can't teach the kid about how to safely handle the gun though so that is good...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Marquardt is particularly brain dead and accusatory.

She is wound up lol.  Gotta love antis

Highfill is laughing at her. What is an instructor?  LOL
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Marquardt is particularly brain dead and accusatory.

She is wound up lol.  Gotta love antis
View Quote

Yes she just mentioned instructors and what 'registration and certifications' they must have.  This is the same body that created all the code for electricians and plumbers.  They collect the taxes they create the laws they don't enforce any of them.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm going down to Kmart to get an instructor badge.

She is laughable, what am embarrassment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Finkanauer is mad, ooo she mad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

1-3 year olds will be roaming the streets in gangs! Blood will run fown the streets!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#40]
If any of you fellas listening to this can give us any updates when the votes go through, that'd be awesome!  Stuck at work.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

1-3 year olds will be roaming the streets in gangs! Blood will run fown the streets!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the D's, they are good story writers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If any of you fellas listening to this can give us any updates when the votes go through, that'd be awesome!  Stuck at work.
View Quote

I will try
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#43]
6-year-old militias roaming the country side
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
6-year-old militias roaming the country side
View Quote

I laughed out loud at work
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#45]
The D's don't understand constitutional rights. Keep comparing it to marriage age, driving age, and drinking age.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#46]
They're just mad because they know they're going to get steamrolled in the House so they might as well turn it into a circus
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]
2281 passed 62 to 36
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a meeting so I'm out for an hour
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the updates guys. So proud of my rep!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#50]
2280 passed 67 - 31
Page / 7
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top