Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The House passed the ATV carry bill today, with the Senate amendment.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Brief update: The governor's office has indicated that we may get the suppressor bill signed the 31st.  This isn't official or anything, and we were originally discussing an April 1 date which still may end up being the case.  Just don't be surprised if we get it done a day sooner, and please don't call me or IFC a liar or a sell-out or some other bullshit if the date changes by a day or two.  

The ATV bill will be signed on another day.  No word from the governor as yet when that will occur.  It wasn't the bill we wanted, but it doesn't harm anyone and improves the situation for many, so we'll take it.

Onward and upward!  The permit privacy bill is still in play, and maybe we'll get lucky with a standings amendment or leadership bill at the end of he session for the age bill.  It's happened before, and Gronstal told me in his office that those were options he would discuss and consider.  His words were, "I'm sick of this bill.  I want it done."  And in the context of the conversation, that meant he was sick of it continuing to come up since he thinks it needs to pass.  So if you're the praying sort, say your prayers on that one.  The rest of you cross your fingers.  

Barry
IFC President
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I am wondering if there's somewhere one can look at the ATV bill and the amendments.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am wondering if there's somewhere one can look at the ATV bill and the amendments.
View Quote

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=86&ba=H8134

Now we all need retention holsters for our suppressed pistols.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.  A holster by common sense definition would be a retention device.  Be interesting to see how some knuckleheads will "interpret" that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
just saw this

suppressors

We are happy to announced that Iowa Governor Terry Branstad will sign the bill into law in the Brownells Retail Store on Thursday, March 31, 2016, at 3:00 PM.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We are happy to announced that Iowa Governor Terry Branstad will sign the bill into law in the Brownells Retail Store on Thursday, March 31, 2016, at 3:00 PM.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
just saw this

suppressors

View Quote

Awesome, congratulations Iowa. Job well done.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
That's awesome
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Great publicity for Brownell's too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
just saw this

suppressors

View Quote

Where did you see this at? I would like to be there when he signs it but its a 3 hour drive one way for me so I want to make sure its then.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Reply I got today from Rich Taylor

I am not convinced that you actually read and FULLY understand the impact of the Bill HF 2314 that you are supporting.
I have several problems with this bill.
The most significant one involves NOT having to prove proficiency with a hand gun.
By eliminating this requirement not only are we allowing a person a permit that may well shoot themselves or another simply because they don’t understand how to use it. We are also negating my Iowa Permit from being recognized in other States with reciprocal agreements as part of those agreements include that our law is as strong or stronger than theirs.
Lastly, I am unsure who is telling you that HF2314 insures confidentiality but the two excerpts (below)from this bill say otherwise the way I read them.

This paragraph (below) of HF2314 says “NOTWITHSTANDING” to me that says since there is no reference in Iowa Code 22.7 Confidential Records to these permits being confidential they are NOT confidential.

2. a. Notwithstanding any other law or rule to the contrary, the commissioner of public safety and any issuing  officer shall keep confidential personally identifiable  information of applicants and holders of nonprofessional  permits to carry weapons and permits to acquire pistols or revolvers, including but not limited to the name, social  security number, date of birth, residential or business 
address, and driver’s license or other identification number of 1 the applicant or permit holder.

This paragraph (below), especially the line “Alternatively”, says ANYONE can request the information on whether you have a permit.

e. (1) (a) This subsection shall not prohibit the release of the information described in subparagraph (2) to a member  of the public who requests whether another person possesses a  professional or nonprofessional permit to carry weapons or a  permit to acquire pistols or revolvers. However, information  described in subparagraph (2) regarding a person in whose favor  either a no-contact order or a protective order, as defined in  section 664A.1, has been issued and is still in effect, shall  not be released pursuant to this paragraph “e” , if the person  presents the order to the department of public safety or the  issuing officer. Prior to the release of information described  in subparagraph (2), the member of the public requesting the  information shall appear in person and provide in writing to  the department of public safety or the issuing officer the  name of the member of the public, on a form prescribed by the  department of public safety. Alternatively, a member of the  public may request the information in writing by completing the form prescribed by the department of public safety and  transmitting the form to the department or issuing officer. The request must include the name of the other person and at  least one of the following identifiers pertaining to the other  person: (i) The date of birth of the person. (ii) The address of the person. (iii) The telephone number of the person, including any  landline or wireless numbers.

IOWA CODE 22.7  Confidential Records
66. Personal information contained on electronic driver’s license or nonoperator’s
identification card records that is provided by the licensee or card holder to the department
of transportation for use by law enforcement, first responders, emergency medical service
providers, and other medical personnel responding to or assisting with an emergency.

HF 2314 In order to assure the PERMITS records remain confidential this bill should add reference to in this Iowa Code section.

For these reasons alone, HF2314, as written, is a very bad bill. HF2314 actually makes the conditions of my current license worse than they are today. I think you are backing a bill that will actually harm gun owners in the State of Iowa.

Rich

Senator Rich Taylor
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#16]
^^^
There is zero profiency requirement right now.  Haven't had a problem.  And records are wide open to the public at this point. His reasoning is bunk...
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
^^^
There is zero profiency requirement right now.  Haven't had a problem.  And records are wide open to the public at this point. His reasoning is bunk...
View Quote

Thats exactly what I thought dont know where he got that from but I think another email is in order
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#18]
At least the response from my rep didn't call me an idiot. What an ass.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I got the following email from IFC yesterday.....I was wondering why the ATV carry act doesn't take effect until July 1st....? I didn't see anything about it in the bill itself. Does anyone know why or is this a typo..?...Septic....what's the scoop?

"This morning Governor Terry Branstad signed House File 2283, the ATV Carry Act, into law! This means after July 1st it will be legal for Permit to Carry holders to carry their pistols and revolvers while riding ATVs, snowmobiles, and other unlicensed vehicles. As some of you may remember this bill was watered down by Senate Democrats, but the passage of HF2283 is still a significant improvement over the way things were at the start of this session (when you couldn't carry at all when riding)."
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got the following email from IFC yesterday.....I was wondering why the ATV carry act doesn't take effect until July 1st....? I didn't see anything about it in the bill itself. Does anyone know why or is this a typo..?...Septic....what's the scoop?

"This morning Governor Terry Branstad signed House File 2283, the ATV Carry Act, into law! This means after July 1st it will be legal for Permit to Carry holders to carry their pistols and revolvers while riding ATVs, snowmobiles, and other unlicensed vehicles. As some of you may remember this bill was watered down by Senate Democrats, but the passage of HF2283 is still a significant improvement over the way things were at the start of this session (when you couldn't carry at all when riding)."
View Quote

Not a typo. Unless a specific enactment date is written into a bill the default start date is July 1. So if you read HF2283 you'll see there's no specific date listed, thus it goes into effect on July 1.

The suppressor bill is a perfect example of the opposite. That bill had a line in it stating something to the effect of "this bill is effective upon enactment" which if you speak legalese that translates to "the suppressor bill goes into effect as soon as the governor signs it."
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Hopefully you guys have seen this already, but there's a new email Advocacy Campaign directed at the Senate to get them to pass Privacy Protection Act.

This bill directly impacts more than a quarter million Iowans by protecting their private information from mass media, or any other person snooping about and doing public records searches.

Senate Democrats (cough cough, Steve Sodders) are trying to tack on a bunch of junk amendments to this bill. We're pushing to get this bill passed without amendment, and there's some indications that may be possible before the end of the session. We need to keep pushing HF2314, the Privacy Protection Act to the forefront in the Senate. Particularly we should direct our efforts at vulnerable Senate Democrats who are up for re-election.

IFC email campaign - Privacy Protection Act
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok...makes sense now. Thanks CaesAR15.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Pardon my ignorance if this was discussed earlier - but with the suppressor bill into law, how does it affect out of state suppressor owners that want to use or transport them in Iowa?  My situation - Nebraska resident and suppressor owner.  Family owns a farm in Iowa.  Can I finally take the can across the river into Iowa or do I have to jump through a bunch of hoops?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance if this was discussed earlier - but with the suppressor bill into law, how does it affect out of state suppressor owners that want to use or transport them in Iowa?  My situation - Nebraska resident and suppressor owner.  Family owns a farm in Iowa.  Can I finally take the can across the river into Iowa or do I have to jump through a bunch of hoops?
View Quote

Go shooting, no need to submit forms like you would an SBR.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can finally bring my suppressor and shoot on our land without committing a felony
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top