Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 7:13:18 AM EDT
This was from my 3rd F class match of the year (3rd F class match ever actually).  We get 2 sighters and 20 rounds for record with a 22 minute time limit.  It's slow fire prone shooting from 600 yards.  So anyway...I dial up my dope for 600 yards and hold off for wind.  First sighter is an X and I'm feeling pretty good.  I go ahead and take my 2nd sighter (you don't have to take your sighters if you don't want) and it's another X.  Now I'm fully confident and ready for my 20 rounds for record.  First round for record fundamentals are good shot breaks clean I call it good.  The trace in the video is a lot easier to see than it is through the scope so I didn't see it at the time.  Target comes up 8  Are you freaking kidding me?  There was a bit of a let off, but that doesn't explain the elevation drop.  Anyway I thought I would give you all something to laugh about.

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWP15Ei38Ok
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you shoot?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where did you shoot?
View Quote

Eastern Nebraska Gun Club near Louisville Nebraska.  It's a really nice place with well run matches, but it's around a 4 hour drive each way from me.  I think there were over 50 competitors and it was just a regular club match.  They have already closed the registration for the state championship match in August because they are full.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Eastern Nebraska Gun Club near Louisville Nebraska.  It's a really nice place with well run matches, but it's around a 4 hour drive each way from me.  I think there were over 50 competitors and it was just a regular club match.  They have already closed the registration for the state championship match in August because they are full.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did you shoot?

That crap happens all the time at engc, like seriously a cloud or some shit floats above in the sky and your elevation goes 1moa either way.  One match last year I started the morning at 14.5 and ended the match at 12.25, figure that out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:44:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I think shooting over there is one of the best things I've ever done as far as improving my prone shooting.  Most of the guys are older and have a lot of wisdom.  Earlier this week I was testing some loads after annealing and getting a better scale( I was using the Lee beam scale now using the Dillon eliminator scale which is more repeatable).  I fired one shot through the chrono to make sure it was reading and it was 2855 fps.  I then reset it and fired a 5 round group.  When I got done I checked the chrono and it said 2855.  I hit the review button and it said high 2855.  I hit it again and it said low 2855.  I hit it again and it said average 2855.  Now I'm thinking crap it must have only read one round.  I hit it again and it said dupe 4.  Then I was like All 5 rounds in the group were exactly 2855 fps so that plus the cold bore shot before I reset it meant 6 shots in a row were 2855 fps.  I then fired another 5 round group through the chrono and my extreme spread over 10 rounds was 13 fps.  So my reloads are squared away.  At this point I actually shoot better groups off of a bipod than I do a rest.  So now that I'm sure my reloads are squared away I need to do some testing with different positions and tension on the rest to see what it likes.  

When I got home I told mama the results and she asked how were the groups?  I said the groups weren't that great, but it was just me I was in a hurry and the darn sweat bees were nailing me while I was trying to shoot lol.  Then I measured up the groups and they were 0.564" and 0.721".  I can remember being very pleased with groups like that, but shooting F class with some of the best prone shooters in the Midwest changes your standards for sure.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did you shoot?

Does anyone know if there is a 600+ range in the Eastern Iowa area? I would like to try my hand at some F-class shooting, preferably without driving hundreds of miles...
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does anyone know if there is a 600+ range in the Eastern Iowa area? I would like to try my hand at some F-class shooting, preferably without driving hundreds of miles...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did you shoot?

What part of eastern Iowa are you in?  North or South?

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did you shoot?

Milan Rifle Club has 600 yards I'm almost certain.

It's on the Illinois side of the Quad Cities.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did you shoot?

Here is a link I used to find F class matches.  Of course you aren't going to find any in the Midwest this time of year.  If you think it's a long trip for an F class match try finding the nearest PRS match.  There is the MOST series in Missouri which is as close as you will get to a PRS match within any kind of reasonable driving distance and that is still several hours away.  It's unfortunate that Iowa is so far behind in the long distance shooting game.

http://findnra.nra.org/
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top