Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2015 4:20:52 PM EDT
I'm getting settled in here in Mason City, just waiting for the movers to bring my stuff. Anyhow, I'm still looking for a place to shoot near Mason city. I've found out about the river city club but not knowing anyone to sponsor me in makes it tough. It doesn't seem like there is much else nearby. Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm a loner out here . I attended the olofson range yesterday with a college buddy who lives in the Des Moines area. It was nice, it's just a bit farther that I really want to drive to shoot.

Also, what's the current word on carrying an auto opening knife like a benchmade 5500?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry I am of no assistance on your questions, but welcome to Iowa.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
if you have a permit to carry you can carry an auto knife. If your into shooting clays there is a trap club in Ventura that is right on highway 18 and I believe there is still a sporting clays course in Rudd. I can't help you with rifle/pistol ranges since I'm not from the area. I do know there are a couple of public ranges down by waterloo/cedar falls if you want to make the 1.5hr drive.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There is an indoor gun range at the Bank gun store in Thompson IA.  It is about 30 minutes from Mason City.  I think he charges $20 hr? Open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 4pm-9pm.  There is the Kossuth County Rifle & Pistol Club Algona that has a indoor range 50 miles from Mason City though.  I am a member there if you want information about joining pm me.  Hogsback by Lake Mills IA is public outdoor range & free.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is an indoor gun range at the Bank gun store in Thompson IA.  It is about 30 minutes from Mason City.  I think he charges $20 hr? Open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 4pm-9pm.  There is the Kossuth County Rifle & Pistol Club Algona that has a indoor range 50 miles from Mason City though.  I am a member there if you want information about joining pm me.  Hogsback by Lake Mills IA is public outdoor range & free.
View Quote

forgot about that. I've been there and it's a nice range, plus he has a few full autos you can try out. His prices on guns are also really good, especially if you order them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent, thank you guys for the input.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to Iowa. Ask around at the new work place once you get to know who's into shooting if they know anyone that owns land that lets people shoot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]
This morning I found myself looking up IDPA matches and came across the following that reminded me of this thread.

Here is a more comprehensive list of ranges in Iowa, compiled by the Iowa Shooters Website.

And here is the homepage, in case you shoot IDPA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The Rudd sporting clays course is gone.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This morning I found myself looking up IDPA matches and came across the following that reminded me of this thread.

Here is a more comprehensive list of ranges in Iowa, compiled by the Iowa Shooters Website.

And here is the homepage, in case you shoot IDPA.
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I would like to start idpa. I don't have a lot to do other than work and I'm wanting something that will occupy my weekends. What is the best way to begin and where would be a good place within 2 hours from Mason city that is accepting to beginners?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I am in Mason as well. What brings you to town?  I have the skinny on all the hot spots.  There is a pistol shoot on Mondays nights from 5-7  $5 to get in
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm 30 min east of mason. I don't have a membership to river city because it's a 100 bucks. I don't go shoot enough to make it worth while and I hear it's not that great of a range. I know a couple guys who could sponsor me.  I got a membership to the range in Nashua or I shoot in my back yard. Best free county range is bon air by cresco.  If you don't mind the drive I can take ya to Nashua and or get you a membership .it's 40ish.  Bon air is probably the nicest range I've been too. But a further drive.  It goes out to 200 yards.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Auto knives are fine to carry as long as you have a Permit to Carry Weapons.

If you don't yet, leave it at home.

For some reason, I also think blades over 5" are illegal to conceal, OC is fine though. Don't take that part as fact though, because I'm not sure I'm 100% correct, PCW might allow CCW of 5"+ blades. I don't have any folders that big, so I'm not worried about that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
If you don't mind driving for an hour there is a range in ackley,. $25 for a yearly membership, 200 yard range and bow range.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Hansell range about 30-40 mins from mason city I think its 300 yards and has steel targets its the one I think the hampton police officer shot himself

Oh btw welcome the Iowa
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am in Mason as well. What brings you to town?  I have the skinny on all the hot spots.  There is a pistol shoot on Mondays nights from 5-7  $5 to get in
View Quote

I moved to Iowa for work. Where's the handgun shoot at? Feel free to pm me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

For some reason, I also think blades over 5" are illegal to conceal, OC is fine though. Don't take that part as fact though, because I'm not sure I'm 100% correct, PCW might allow CCW of 5"+ blades. I don't have any folders that big, so I'm not worried about that.
View Quote

Don't forget that Iowa's State Preemption law only applies to firearms. If a locality has a knife law and wants to charge a person with a permit to carry weapons with violating the knife law they can do that. I haven't seen/heard of it actually happening, but following the letter of the law it wouldn't be a violation of preemption for a locality to do that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't forget that Iowa's State Preemption law only applies to firearms. If a locality has a knife law and wants to charge a person with a permit to carry weapons with violating the knife law they can do that. I haven't seen/heard of it actually happening, but following the letter of the law it wouldn't be a violation of preemption for a locality to do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did not know that. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. Are you aware of any localities with stricter knife laws?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#20]
There are a few listed here, but it shouldn't be considered comprehensive. http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

I've ignored Council Bluffs' ordinance every time I've been there.  If there's a cop dumb enough to cite me with carrying a 4" knife when I'm carrying a 9mm... Fuck it I'll be the test case.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. Are you aware of any localities with stricter knife laws?
View Quote

I honestly don't know of any localities with >1,000 people that don't have one on the books. I don't think I've ever heard/seen any of them enforced as anything other than an add on charge to other, usually more serious, charges.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top