Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2015 7:31:30 PM EDT
We went to Nice Shot shooting range in Illinois today.  Weather was miserable, but with the treatment we got and the fun we had we didn't even notice until we were packing up to leave that we were froze to the bone.  

The website is www.niceshotshootingrange.com

They have targets at 450, 500, 600, 780, 950, 1280, and 1665 yards.

Conditions were terrible with freezing rain in the morning a high in the 30's and a full value wind of 15 mph all day.  Even with those conditions I was able to hit targets starting at 600 yards out to 1280 without missing any of them more than 2 times before making a hit.  Mama was even able to make hits out to 950 yards with the 223 as well as kicking tail on the hostage target at 450 yards.

I have to admit 1665 yards was very difficult.  I never expected it to be easy, but after hitting at 1280 so easy(which was further than I have ever been already) I was thinking I got this.  I did manage 4 hits on a 22" wide octagon shaped gong.  Just to give you an idea of the conditions my dope on the 260 for the 1665 yard hits was 23.1 mils of elevation and 3.4 mils of windage.  The terrain features and the effect they had on the wind made this a very difficult shot.  At our location wind was light, but by half way to the target the wind was over 15 mph at times from our 3 o'clock position.  At the target there was a wind flag which was actually blowing the opposite direction from the over 15 mph wind from 3 o'clock.  Fun times

Jim runs the range and is an amazing guy I really can't do him justice by describing him here, you just have to meet him.

He helped by spotting for us as well as helped putting fresh paint on the targets and with our video.  We made several videos of mama and I shooting at several different ranges as well as having a camera located at a couple of the targets as well so we can do some multi-camera picture in picture stuff.  I will work on video later this week when we get home and post them up.

I would highly recommend this shooting range.  They also have a 100 yard area for zeroing as well as provide a 4 wheeler so you can check and paint targets without walking.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a great place ... I might have to make the journey over there this summer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the first video we got uploaded from our trip.  This is the me with the 260 shooting at the 950 yard target.  I ranged this with my bushnell one mile elite range finder at 942 yards.  Jim uses a Leica and we were very close on our ranges all the way out.  The Leica separated itself at 1665 yards.  My bushnell was not able to range that target, but it was able to range the 1280 yard target every time.

260 remington shooting steel at 942 yards multi-camera view

We have a lot of footage and many more videos will be up later.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is the first video we got uploaded from our trip.  This is the me with the 260 shooting at the 950 yard target.  I ranged this with my bushnell one mile elite range finder at 942 yards.  Jim uses a Leica and we were very close on our ranges all the way out.  The Leica separated itself at 1665 yards.  My bushnell was not able to range that target, but it was able to range the 1280 yard target every time.

260 remington shooting steel at 942 yards multi-camera view

We have a lot of footage and many more videos will be up later.
View Quote

Video of the hits at 1665 yards
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope to head out there some day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope to head out there some day.
View Quote

I'm sure you would really like the place.  We plan to go back again for sure.  We could have done a lot more shooting, but we wanted to make video as well as having two of us shooting we wanted to repaint targets in between shooters so that took a lot of time.  Jim was real helpful with all of it from spotting for us to running me out on the 4 wheeler to paint targets and set up cameras he was very helpful.

On the video of my 1665 yard hits...that video was not edited, but we obviously didn't get a first round hit at that distance in those conditions.  Everything went real well out to 1280, but 1665 was very difficult.  We couldn't get a visual on our point of impacts.  I had a feeling that I was hitting high into the grass hill behind the target which was also muddy so we couldn't see anything.  So Jim came up with the idea to shoot in front of the target so we could put one in the dirt and hopefully get a visual.  Once we did that we confirmed that we were hitting high and we were about 2 feet to the left of target.  We fired a couple more to get dialed in.  Then I decided we needed a break because it was a long day and the barrel needed to cool.  After our break we started rolling the camera and that first shot after our break was a hit.  On that video I thought my dope was still a little high so I was aiming at the bottom edge of the gong for the first couple shots.  After that I came down 0.1 mil on the scope and started aiming at dead center of the gong.  Since I'm not under any time limits when I'm target shooting I like to dial for the average wind and then just hold off for any variations I may detect as I prepare to break the shot.

For the hits at 1665 yards I was using 23.1 mils of elevation and 3.4 mils of windage on the scope.

Mama's dope at 942 yards with the 223 was 12.9 mils of elevation and 2.4 mils of windage.

We are both using swfa super sniper scopes.  Mine is a fixed 12X and she is using a fixed 10X.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top