Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I really hope you get video, in a non-tactical, non-sneaky way.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You got a schedule of those?
View Quote

http://www.electkelley.com/

https://www.facebook.com/electkelleypage?ref=ts

this is all i could find.  i'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I found this nice article from a gun enthusiast democrat that I linked in my email to my state rep. I thought it was a well done article.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/11/05/405370/-A-Democrat-s-guide-to-why-firearm-sound-suppressors-silencers-should-be-made-easier-to-obtain#

I'll post the responses after I have both. I've already heard back from my senator.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I found this nice article from a gun enthusiast democrat that I linked in my email to my state rep. I thought it was a well done article.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/11/05/405370/-A-Democrat-s-guide-to-why-firearm-sound-suppressors-silencers-should-be-made-easier-to-obtain#

I'll post the responses after I have both. I've already heard back from my senator.
View Quote

As much as I despise the DailyKos garbage that article will definitely come in handy.

For my contribution I give you this SilencerCo YouTube clip. There's a million suppressor videos out there, but it seems like they all feature some backwoods bubba, someone shooting full auto, or no real comparison between suppressed and unsuppressed. This one is very straight forward and shows an exact db rating comparison.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I just wanted to drop in and thank you guys for keeping the ball rolling here.  I've been out-of-state for a few years, but still haven't moved forward with any suppressor/SBR stamps because of the potential loss with a move back there.  I'm ready to 'pull the trigger' on 1 or 2 of each as soon as you get this signed.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, so I finally have responses from both of my reps: Representative Todd Pritchard and Senator Mary Jo Wilhelm.

I have supported suppressor legislation in the past.  I will continue to do so.

Todd
View Quote

Thank you for getting in touch. I have yet to see any definite legislation on this issue, but I am keeping a close eye on it as we proceed through the session. If a bill legalizing suppressors comes to the floor, preferably without anything else attached to it, I would support its passage.

-Mary Jo
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#7]
the crew was working their butts off all day into the night at the legislature last night.  

we're hammering out the bills and the little pieces of language here and there.  

do your last minutes flight checks, buckle in, and prepare for ignition folks...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the crew was working their butts off all day into the night at the legislature last night.  

do your last minutes flight checks, buckle in, and prepare for ignition folks...
View Quote

When you get all motivating I get this tingling sensation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Lists are up to date as of this post.

Confirmed Support:

House
4 of 98

Senate
7 of 50

Good work Battleshipgrey!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be thankful it's not a burning sensation...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#11]
What are the bills that you see really having a chance in addition to the suppressor bill this time around?  Both my rep and senator are fully supportive of gun rights so I don't want to or need to continuously email them.  I'd just like to send one email hitting on a few key bills that actually have a chance this year.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are the bills that you see really having a chance in addition to the suppressor bill this time around?  Both my rep and senator are fully supportive of gun rights so I don't want to or need to continuously email them.  I'd just like to send one email hitting on a few key bills that actually have a chance this year.
View Quote

Lefty-

I think these 4 house bills stand a decent chance. Some have better odds than others, but here's the run down of bills I've been following...

HF99 - Repealing the Youth Handgun Shooting Ban
HF45 - Emergency Powers (blocking Hurricane Katrina style confiscations)
HF59 - Strengthening the current preemption law
HF99 - Stand Your Ground

The suppressor bill hasn't been introduced YET. I think of all the ones listed the suppressor bill stands the best chances, and that's entirely because of all the hard work the guys on this forum did last year.

There's actually 3 Stand Your Ground bills (2 in the House, 1 in the Senate). The NRA/IFC version, HF99 is the only one that's seeing any kind of movement - it's been assigned to a House Judiciary Subcommittee. Not surprisingly, the other two IGO Stand Your Ground bills are seeing zero movement. Looks like they're chickens are coming home to roost. I genuinely hope HF99 continues to move forward, I'd really like to see SYG passed.

IFC has got a pretty good run down of the various bills, including the anti-gunners bills. IFC 2015 Iowa Legislative Session
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't heard anything today, so I'll assume it hasn't been filed and will be Friday?  Anyone in the know please keep us informed.  Sorry, I'm rather inpatient.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I haven't heard anything today, so I'll assume it hasn't been filed and will be Friday?  Anyone in the know please keep us informed.  Sorry, I'm rather inpatient.
View Quote

Rush- I was misinformed in my last post. Today is NOT the deadline to submit bills. I was working off this legislative calendar and got ahead of myself. Today is the last day to submit a bill to the "Legislative Services Agency" these are the guys who actually draft the bills and put them into their "official legal" form. As long as a bill has been submitted to them (and I've been told the suppressor bill has been), we're good to go.

Sorry I misinformed you, but the good news is there's still time for our guys to get this finalized and officially filed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Great to see that you guys are still hitting this hard.  Owning suppressors is of great interest to me as well.  I did what I could last year in emailing and calling representatives.  I'll contribute when and where I can to help out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You got a schedule of those?
View Quote

dan sent me this:

"The 21st of February and 21st of March.  They are at Newton Hy-Vee."

i can't go on the 21st of Feb, but i can in march...

anyone want to go lean on Dan real hard?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm down for March
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Any updates on this legislation?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any updates on this legislation?
View Quote

I have seen anything yet.
I never bothered to get in the ifc forum. Are there updates in there?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Sign up for the IFC e-mail alert.  http://iowafc.org/ifc-updates-and-legislative-email-alerts-signup/
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I get the emails, no mention of suppressors in the last 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been following this pretty closely.  The bill is written up it has not been submitted yet.  We are not at the funnel yet and they are allowing some other things to stew and get traction on their own legs things like stand your ground and importantly the right to keep and bear.  

When it drops we will know...there will be lots of info pushed out about it.  I think it will be soonish and I hope that everyone will be motivated to get behind it and do everything we can to get it done this year.  I will be a bit sad if Illinois gets it done this year and we don't.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I have been wondering when this will hit as well.  I ran into a Democratic rep from Des Moines a couple of weeks ago.  One of the guys I was with asked when they were going to get silencers approved in the legislature.  The rep corrected him and said suppressors and I laughed!  As far as Illinois, suppressors would be the easy part you would think since they already got SBR's through last year or the year before.  It makes you wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to remove the exclusions from our laws and have Iowa law defer to the NFA and get all of those items pushed through.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It makes you wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to remove the exclusions from our laws and have Iowa law defer to the NFA and get all of those items pushed through.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.  The whole group is already regulated enough, why complicate it further?  Kansas went from nothing to all NFA a couple years ago.  Different political climates = different paths to success I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.  The whole group is already regulated enough, why complicate it further?  Kansas went from nothing to all NFA a couple years ago.  Different political climates = different paths to success I suppose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It makes you wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to remove the exclusions from our laws and have Iowa law defer to the NFA and get all of those items pushed through.

code intertwines all over the place.  there are cases where hitting the 'erase' button actually works, but it is rare.  i'm glad you're all questioning what it going on, as you should be.  to that end, know it has been considered at great length and thoroughly regarding the method and vehicle we choose to advance legislation and shape code.

news is coming...  ;)
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#26]
HSB201 - that's our bill

Suppressors and much more. I'll be updating the OP later tonight or tomorrow. In the mean time hit the link and get to work - first funnel is Friday.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Anything on getting SBR legalized?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

not this go around.  We need to get our foot in the door with one NFA item to show that the process working here the same as it does in all the other 39 states they are already around.  

It is very important that we get THIS one locked down and set in stone and the other stuff will fall in line right behind it.

I emailed John Wills my new this year representative and he has already gotten back that he is excited about it and was supporting it.  He also shared that it could be tracked here <--click link

anyway its good to have reps that want what we want.  Let me know if anyone has a rep that isn't on board and that needs more people contacting them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#29]
This was the response I received in reply to the automated IFC email I sent from Kraig Paulsen.

Matthew,
Thanks for your email.  I've supported some of those measures in the past and would be supportive again.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#30]
A reply I received from Brian Best.

Robert:  Thank you for the  email.  I support HSB 201 and will vote in favor.  Have a good day.

Respectfully,

Rep. Brian Best
HD 12
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Just updated the OP with the following information.

Major update - The Suppressor Bill is now about much more than suppressors.

House Study Bill 201 <-- that's our bill.

HSB201 does the following:
-Legalize suppressors and requires county sheriff's to sign off on applications.
-Adjusts retraining requirements for permit to carry holders (retraining required every 10 years rather the current 5 year requirement).
-Clarifies that online training is an acceptable form of training for permit to carry applicants.
-Gives a permit to carry holder the option to complete a "range re-qualification" rather than a full course if they so choose.
-Exempts veterans who've received small arms training in the military from having to go through training while applying for a permit to carry.
-Doubles the renewal period for permit to carry holders from 30 to 60 days.
-Makes getting a "permit to acquire" optional, and makes permits to acquire valid for 5 years rather than 1.
-Blocks the dissemination of all personal information for anyone who holds a permit to carry or permit to acquire.
-Repeals the ban on youth handgun shooting with proper adult supervision

The bill quite literally protects AND enhances our 2A rights.

How to take action
As expected the Iowa Firearms Coalition has made it easy to email your legislators.

I HIGHLY encourage you guys to send the IFC pre-written email, but also follow up with a personal note to your legislators. By hitting the pre-written emails you show that you're part of a large, organized movement, and then following up with a personal note (doesn't have to be anything big or fancy) proves that you're not just some spambot.

You can also call your legislators. Capitol switchboard number is – 515-281-3221. Just ask for your legislator (if you don't know who that is you'll have to tell them where you live).

HSB201 Timeline
Our first major deadline is THIS FRIDAY, March 6th. This is what's known as the first funnel. In order to advance any further a bill must advance out of it's first committee assignment by the first funnel.

Right now our bill has been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee, it needs to pass a vote by this committee by the end of the day Friday. There is quite literally no time to waste.

If HSB201 passes out of committee it goes to a vote in the full House. This must be completed by the 2nd funnel on April 3rd. Then the bill goes to the Senate and the process repeats itself.

For a better idea of everything that needs to happen check out this How a bill becomes a law in Iowa page.

Who to contact
First and foremost: Contact your legislators! We need each lawmaker in Iowa to know their constituents want HSB201 passed.

Once that's done zero in on the members of the House Judiciary Committee.

House Judiciary Commitee
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Remember, be polite and act like an adult, but don't let them talk circles around you. We expect a YES Vote on HSB201. If you get a response, please post it and I'll keep a tally on where things stand. This ought to give us a better picture of who to contact and how things are looking.

I'm really pumped about this bill, it'd be a huge win for Iowa's firearms community, and I think we have a decent shot at getting it passed if we get active. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This was the response I received in reply to the automated IFC email I sent from Kraig Paulsen.

Matthew,
Thanks for your email.  I've supported some of those measures in the past and would be supportive again.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
View Quote

Got it down. Thanks MattC!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A reply I received from Brian Best.

Robert:  Thank you for the  email.  I support HSB 201 and will vote in favor.  Have a good day.

Respectfully,

Rep. Brian Best
HD 12
View Quote

Awesome to see Brian stepping up. Glad he got elected. Thanks for contacting him LoneWolfGun, it's on the list!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

all in good time grasshopper.  patience my love...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I strongly support HSB 201.  A lot of the reforms in this bill are things that we have been trying to get for several years and are long needed.  I know there are some negotiations going on with the Senate, and I am hopeful that they will take up the bill this year.  Thank you for your input on this issue.

Sincerely,
Representative Dave Deyoe
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I strongly support HSB 201.  A lot of the reforms in this bill are things that we have been trying to get for several years and are long needed.  I know there are some negotiations going on with the Senate, and I am hopeful that they will take up the bill this year.  Thank you for your input on this issue.

Sincerely,
Representative Dave Deyoe
View Quote

He's on the list. Great work jrmustang!

PS- welcome! I can't think of a better way for a newcomer to get started here on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Chaz Allen in the house is on board.

Justin,

Currently this bill is in the Judiciary Committee. I support the proposed legislation but will not have a chance to vote for it until it makes it to the floor.

Best,
Chaz
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Is there any indication the dems will let this through?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Sen. Sodders (the new chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee) sponsored the Senate version. So yeah, it's looking a little more rosey than last year.

The main concern is making sure no one mucks this bill up with a poison pill amendment (looking at you Rick Bertrand & IGO) or waters it down. We need to make sure the legislators know that we want this bill passed un-amended!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Chaz Allen in the house is on board.

Justin,

Currently this bill is in the Judiciary Committee. I support the proposed legislation but will not have a chance to vote for it until it makes it to the floor.

Best,
Chaz
View Quote

Got him. Thanks Justin!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Sen. Amy Sinclair supports HSB201.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sen. Amy Sinclair supports HSB201.
View Quote

Excellent work Spart!! She's on the list. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Rep. Joel Fry as well.  Not that there was any doubt in my mind...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#44]
My reply from senator Ken Rozenboom:

If given the chance, you can count on a yes vote from me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Well I tried to do my part:
Dear Mr. Greeeeeenberg,
Thanks for your email.
I am a solid 2nd Amendment supporter so I will be voting for HSB 201 when it comes up today in Judiciary and again on the House Floor.
Best regards,
Greg Heartsill
Representative Greg Heartsill
Iowa House District 28 (serving portions of Jasper, Marion, Lucas Counties)
View Quote

My appreciation for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with firearms rights in our state. As a staunch defender of the 2nd amendment, and a combant veteran, I’m actively championing House File 201 and passage in the Judiciary Committee.

Specifically, the bill will:
   It legalizes suppressors and creates a process for a chief law enforcement officer to sign off on the paper work a citizen needs to purchase a suppressor. This is a federal requirement and just one steo in the process to obtain a suppressor.
   It corrects the renewal process and extends the time a person can go without retraining from 5 years to 10 years. So a permit will last for 5 years, but you can renew it without retraining on your first renewal.
   It specifically exempts veterans with small arms training from ever having to go through initial training or retraining if they can produce their military qualifications at the time of application.
   It eliminates the annual permit go acquire and makes this an optional permit to acquire firearms that will now be good for 5 years instead of 1 year.
   It estabilishes permit privacy so the information you submit to obtain your permit will no longer be subject to public information requests. Your personal identifiable information will only be released to law enforcement when necessary in the course of their duties. This protects not only permit holders, but also non permit holders as it will prevent someone with criminal intentions from being able to readily identify who may or may not have a weapon.
   It eliminates the absurb law that bans parents from being able to teach their children under fourteen how to shoot a pistol or revolver. Under current law if a parent wants to teach their child to shoot a rifle or shotgun they can, but they cannot teach a child under fourteen how to use a pistol or revolber. This change will put the responsibility to make the decidion of when a child should be taught firearm safety back where it belongs, in the parent’s hands.

Thank you for your support and please let me know if I may be of service in the future.
V/R –
Zach
Zach Nunn, Representative
Iowa State House, District 30
View Quote

Thank you for sharing your support of HSB201 with me. I appreciate your advocacy and fight to expand our 2A rights here in Iowa. Over the past few months I have been working closely with the NRA and Iowa Firearms Coalition to craft this bill in a way that expands our rights and sets us up for even more victories in the future.

Please be sure to spread the word about the need for this legislation. The more people that know about this bill and what it will do to move us forward here in Iowa, the better our chances are of getting it enacted into law. There are already groups out there that are insinuating that the bill does something that it doesn’t or that it doesn’t go far enough and or attention should be focused elsewhere. We need to work together to overcome these naysayers and get the truth out about the benefits this bill has for 3 million Iowans.

While there are many other pro 2A bills being talked about this year, this one actually has a chance of passing in the Senate. I know this for a fact as I have personally been talking with the Senate to try and pave the way for this bill to advance. While the bill doesn’t cover every topic you or I would like it to, it is still a monumental step in the right direction. The more we can advance bills like this and demonstrate that Iowans are reasonable responsible people, the better foundation we lay for future achievements on 2A issues.

Keep up the fight for our Second Amendment rights and keep me informed on how I can best serve you.

Sincerely,
Matt Windschitl
Speaker Pro Tem
House District 17
View Quote

We voted HSB 201 out of subcommittee yesterday, so now we're just waiting for it to be considered before the full committee.
Thank you for your email, and be sure to let me know if there’s any other legislation you’d like to share your opinion on.

Sincerely,
Mary Wolfe
View Quote

Representative Meyer appreciates your email. He will look into this bill. Please feel free to contact him further with any thoughts, questions, or concerns.
All the best,
Chayce Glienke
Clerk
View Quote

Meyer and Wolfe I can't quite tell where they stand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Have one more sorry

Regarding HSB 201 – I will be in support of this bill.

Representative Dave Heaton
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank you for your email concerning Second Amendment legislation.  As a hunter, gun owner and a Viet Nam veteran I will support this legislation and consistently vote to protect your and my Second Amendment rights. Best regards, John Landon
View Quote

From Representative Landon
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Mary Wolfe is on our side from what I've seen.  Even though she has a D behind her name.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#50]

This is GREAT NEWS. The House version has officially survived the first funnel.

As mentioned in the link the Senate version is taking some serious flack. The word I'm getting is the mass media outlets in Iowa are coming after the Senate version hard. They really hate the idea that they may no longer be able to publicize our private information. There's also a small but vocal group of anti-gun Senators who're trying to block the repeal on supervised youth handgun shooting. They're specifically targeting the Senate bill (SSB1251) because they know they stand very little chance of pulling any shenanigans in the House, but the Senate is a little more, shall we say... spineless. If they succeed in watering down the Senate version they'll know they can do the same to House version if/when it gets passed to the Senate.

It'd certainly wouldn't hurt to drop an email to the Senate Judiciary Committee (particularly Sen. Sodders) telling them to support SSB1251 as it’s written and make sure their colleagues do the same. There's a great set of talking points in the IFC link Spart posted above.
Page / 15
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top