Page / 15
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds pretty standard.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what I thought when I got it.....  Just more finger pointing to pass blame.
View Quote

yup.  gotta keep the pressure on big time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Lady I just talked to said she thought it was about 50/50 for and against.

KEEP CALLING!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, and like before be sure to tell the lady who answers the calls (i think it is the same one) that you are an Iowa resident. I got into a discussion with her last time about that and asked if she could ask people that so the legislators know how many actual Iowans are for and against.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oh, and like before be sure to tell the lady who answers the calls (i think it is the same one) that you are an Iowa resident. I got into a discussion with her last time about that and asked if she could ask people that so the legislators know how many actual Iowans are for and against.
View Quote

Yeah,I asked her about out of state people calling because she didn't ask where I was calling from (unless they have caller ID that shows the area code).

Shouldn't matter anyway since the votes are there if they just bring it to the floor.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
First chance I got to call this afternoon.  The lady answered and said the switch board is closed?  Said I would call tomorrow and she said it will be closed then too.  Any ideas what that is?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
They took my message at 4:23 pm and my wife's call about 15 minutes later when she got home from work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like the senate is working on all kinds of stuff. They arent just tied up school funding. Gronstall can do what he wants.

Is it too late to take it back and say just kidding, we'll just take the supressors for now?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

KEEP CALLING!!!
View Quote

lol...  i find that very hard to believe, but...

if they need more calls, then that's what we'll do!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like the senate is working on all kinds of stuff. They arent just tied up school funding. Gronstall can do what he wants.

Is it too late to take it back and say just kidding, we'll just take the supressors for now?  
View Quote

yes, because after all this work, and all of the broken promises from politicians, it's better to get 10 things next session than 1 now and 0 then. Giving in on something this small would show them that they can lie to us with impunity, and we'll like it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

yes, because after all this work, and all of the broken promises from politicians, it's better to get 10 things next session than 1 now and 0 then. Giving in on something this small would show them that they can lie to us with impunity, and we'll like it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id rather have 10 things over 10 years than 1 year with 10 things every decade.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may be true, but the current political state (Gronstol) won't allow that. If he would, that would be great, but he won't. Remember, this is the guy who wouldn't allow any gun rights bills to even be debated for 3 years in a row, because he -- direct quite-- "gave [us] concealed carry" reform (we pushed for many years until he was forced to give in for fear of losing his Senate D majority).
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That may be true, but the current political state (Gronstol) won't allow that. If he would, that would be great, but he won't. Remember, this is the guy who wouldn't allow any gun rights bills to even be debated for 3 years in a row, because he -- direct quite-- "gave [us] concealed carry" reform (we pushed for many years until he was forced to give in for fear of losing his Senate D majority).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're losing sight of the most critical point. Senate leadership has to change if we want to be able to get any meaningful change to Iowa gun law.

This happens at election time. The current Dem majority is the source of all our problems.

I hope we all don't lose sight of that that. Take all the frustrations we're dealing with right now and do not forget them when the IFC and NRA put out the call for election volunteers in 2016.

Just voting isn't enough. We need to get active in campaign work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KEEP CALLING!!!

I find that hard to believe as well.   What if she is an anti and changes that stats a bit?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I find that hard to believe as well.   What if she is an anti and changes that stats a bit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KEEP CALLING!!!

Unfortunately,no way to tell.

She could not be tallying half the pro votes for all we know.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We're losing sight of the most critical point. Senate leadership has to change if we want to be able to get any meaningful change to Iowa gun law.

This happens at election time. The current Dem majority is the source of all our problems.

I hope we all don't lose sight of that that. Take all the frustrations we're dealing with right now and do not forget them when the IFC and NRA put out the call for election volunteers in 2016.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

We booted Beall last time (and yes he said  he supported the suppressor bill),now we have to work to change that Senate leadership.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I was never a person to go knock on doors in behalf of a candidate until the Senate Democrats screwed us over last time.  

Prior to last fall's election I went door to door in a targeted district to oust them.

If they don't pass the omnibus gun bill this year I will be out door knocking before the next election as well.  If they pass it, I will probably spend my extra time hunting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was never a person to go knock on doors in behalf of a candidate until the Senate Democrats screwed us over last time.  
Prior to last fall's election I went door to door in a targeted district to oust them.
If they don't pass the omnibus gun bill this year I will be out door knocking before the next election as well.  If they pass it, I will probably spend my extra time hunting.
View Quote

There's nothing I would like better than to oust my unabashedly anti-gun senator. I campaigned against her getting in in the first place too, which was the first time I'd ever door knocked.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#19]
My district is an effort in futility, so I drive to where my energies are utilized to their potential.

If Democrats supported my rights, I wouldn't try to oust them.  The sad thing is, I'm not a party line voter and Dems don't need to make an enemy of me.

In fact, one of the State Senators (retired) I have the most respect for is Dennis Black, a Democrat.

Sadly, they have proven so far that the only way to work with them is to remove them from power.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KEEP CALLING!!!

i have no doubt.  you can't tell me the antis put up 40,000 emails in a few weeks.  they couldn't muster four people for a GD rally for shit sake.  50/50 is total bullshit.  the only way they're getting one twentieth of our numbers is to have people from all over the country call in and lie about their location to bump the numbers.

but, as kurt said, we're straying...

we need to keep the pressure up and let them know we're iowans, ifc members, nra members, and we want this done.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

i have no doubt.  you can't tell me the antis put up 40,000 emails in a few weeks.  they couldn't muster four people for a GD rally for shit sake.  50/50 is total bullshit.  the only way they're getting one twentieth of our numbers is to have people from all over the country call in and lie about their location to bump the numbers.

we need to keep the pressure up and let them know we're iowans, ifc members, nra members, and we want this done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KEEP CALLING!!!

My guess they tell everyone 50/50 no matter what the bill or numbers
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Daily calls made. Emails sent.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#23]
me too.  called, emailed, and tossed in one to sodders and another to gronstal for good measure.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone posted on IFC fb that sodders said it will come up for a vote

Next year no Im not joking

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Someone posted on IFC fb that sodders said it will come up for a vote
Next year no Im not joking
View Quote

stodders has also ben deleting posts on his Facebook page about it, and blocking people.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#26]
hold on tight.  the ride is going to really get fast and bumpy now...  

woot woot!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

woot woot!
View Quote

Details!? did something happen that we don't know about?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

woot woot!

Nothing that I know of but the end of the road is generally bumpy and often has things happen in the span of hours instead of weeks. The senate seems have failed to do It on their own so now it will likely turn into a joint venture compromise. They don't have much time left to save face yet will still come out looking ok. We will remember either way.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#29]
At least get us suppressors
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At least get us suppressors
View Quote

I feel a little less optimistic with each weekly update from IFC...
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#31]
don't get that way.  Things move fast and we as a united group of gun owners in Iowa need to be strong and remain unwavering.  The senate has postured themselves to come off as being anti gun.  People like Sodders who is not necessarily against us want this to pass or at least great patches of it.  Don't say I just really want cans.  That isn't the way you negotiate.  We want and need everything that is in this bill.  I need to be able to teach my son to use a handgun in a safe and controlled environment.  I need to know that my information won't be dumped in some newspaper so they can win support of some antigun dipshits who think the government will get police to them in time to protect them in a life or death situation and yes I want to protect my hearing and be courteous to those around me.  

The end of the session is explosive in nature.  It has always been this way.  It can be good for us and it can be an extreme let down.  The way it is good for us is if we smash them all year long and have all the support and have strength and unity while on the ten yard line.  You don't punt just because you are close.  You take the ball and score and then you fuck the prom queen.  We have the prom queen ready to go and you are suggesting maybe we should just give her a high five and hope for the best.  I don't want a high five I want to win.

If you don't know how the appropriations process works at the end of the session you should look into it.  I have mentioned before that it is an option and I still think that it is a very good chance that the democrats want this about as bad as we do because they know how powerful we are.  We need to remain powerful and continue to remind them that they literally have jobs on the line.  If they can work together in the final hours we will get what we want and they will get to look like they support gun owners which some of them really do.  Its about getting the grandstanding douche bags out of the picture and letting the guy who do work get it done.  

We are going to get this done this year as long as we continue to hammer people.  Don't spread the negativity and don't stop telling everyone you know what the IGO is and how they are fucking us.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
don't get that way.  Things move fast and we as a united group of gun owners in Iowa need to be strong and remain unwavering.  The senate has postured themselves to come off as being anti gun.  People like Sodders who is not necessarily against us want this to pass or at least great patches of it.  Don't say I just really want cans.  That isn't the way you negotiate.  We want and need everything that is in this bill.  I need to be able to teach my son to use a handgun in a safe and controlled environment.  I need to know that my information won't be dumped in some newspaper so they can win support of some antigun dipshits who think the government will get police to them in time to protect them in a life or death situation and yes I want to protect my hearing and be courteous to those around me.  

The end of the session is explosive in nature.  It has always been this way.  It can be good for us and it can be an extreme let down.  The way it is good for us is if we smash them all year long and have all the support and have strength and unity while on the ten yard line.  You don't punt just because you are close.  You take the ball and score and then you fuck the prom queen.  We have the prom queen ready to go and you are suggesting maybe we should just give her a high five and hope for the best.  I don't want a high five I want to win.

If you don't know how the appropriations process works at the end of the session you should look into it.  I have mentioned before that it is an option and I still think that it is a very good chance that the democrats want this about as bad as we do because they know how powerful we are.  We need to remain powerful and continue to remind them that they literally have jobs on the line.  If they can work together in the final hours we will get what we want and they will get to look like they support gun owners which some of them really do.  Its about getting the grandstanding douche bags out of the picture and letting the guy who do work get it done.  

We are going to get this done this year as long as we continue to hammer people.  Don't spread the negativity and don't stop telling everyone you know what the IGO is and how they are fucking us.
View Quote

Putting OGB language in a final appropriations bill would be toxic to the Senate.  They'll strike the whole thing (remember last year?).  If SF427 isn't called to the floor the senate, we're screwed this year.  That's why we need to keep the heat on.

Remember the movie Team America.  Time to figure out who the dicks, pussies, and assholes are and get the job done.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#33]
When is the ride going to get "fast and bumpy?" I've been checking the Legislature's site every day and there's been no movement on SF427 or anything related. Is there something I'm missing?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#34]
8mm I think your right

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Putting OGB language in a final appropriations bill would be toxic to the Senate.  
View Quote

huh...

i wish i'd have thought of that.  8mm has it covered.

i can remember when shall issue didn't pass and we came back and tried it again, and again, and again, and again.  i guess we just got lucky.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

huh...

i can remember when shall issue didn't pass and we came back and tried it again, and again, and again, and again.  i guess we just got lucky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Putting OGB language in a final appropriations bill would be toxic to the Senate.  

huh...

Call and support the original bill, that's all I'm saying.  False hope in "multiple pathways to success" will result in an email from IFC saying good job guys, you are all awesome, our bill passed 347 separate votes by a bipartisan landslide but we still got dicked by the Senate Leadership......
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Call and support the original bill, that's all I'm saying.  False hope in "multiple pathways to success" will result in an email from IFC saying good job guys, you are all awesome, our bill passed 347 separate votes by a bipartisan landslide but we still got dicked by the Senate Leadership......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh...

Lol "I know your right"
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I still have 2 cans of pop riding on this thing. If even Minnesota can agree supressors are good there is still hope for Iowa.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh...

Agreed.  The press should not stop at all.  The idea of stop trying for the original legislation is stupid.  Of course you need to continue that but that continues to show the people you are calling that this is important and isn't going to stop being important just because the year is almost over for them.  You can't stop and then when it is time for appropriations say oh maybe we can slip it in I should call them again.  

The people who have hurt us were the ones who said oh maybe we should just try for suppressors in mid session and IGO for thinking the sky was falling and gun registration was going down.(note...I do not believe they actually think that but are only using that as a way to get money from others who can be convinced because they refuse to listen to reason or you know....read the bills.)

I have faith in what we are doing and think people have pushed hard.  I really hope IGO didn't successfully screw us over and I think minnesota getting suppressors done this year is good for us.  I was a little bit sickened when I saw people bitching that minnesota was getting some stuff figured out.  I guess I have always been the type of person that wants to be on top because I am a winner rather than every one else just sucks more than me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#40]
URGENT - IFC email to the House -- HIT IT!

The House of Representatives is expected to take up the 2015 Appropriations Bill tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. We have good reason to believe they'll be adding the ENTIRE Omnibus bill in as an amendment - this is GREAT news, as it'll force the Senate to take some form of action on this bill (rather than play piss-ant political "scheduling" games) when the Appropriations Bill is sent back to the Senate for approval.

Once it's back in the Senate, they will have to vote to either accept the Appropriations Bill as House sent it to them -OR- they have to amend it. If they amend it, they'll have to (as I understand it) vote on all amendments. This means if they try to strip the Omnibus Gun Bill, or even parts of the Omnibus Gun Bill, we'll have an on the record vote and we'll be able to see exactly who's with us and who's against us. This is the Dems worst nightmare, that they'll be put on record.

Assuming this goes as we expect (fingers crossed), the House will have passed the Omnibus Gun Bill 3 times. More importantly the Senate will have had 3 opportunities to take up this bill (think of what IFC and the NRA can do with that message come election season).

This is just one volley in a game of legislative ping pong. If the Senate strips out the Omnibus Gun Bill, the House still has options to get this put back in. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it though.

RIGHT NOW we need to get a message strong message out to the House, particularly the House leadership. They've been strong supporters of 2A rights over the last several years. They've passed Stand Your Ground, Suppressors, Privacy Protection, a Constitutional Amendment, and mess of other pro-2A bills. Every one of these bills has been sent to the Senate, only see the Senate kill these bills by not scheduling them.

We need to thank the House, specifically House leadership, for their support and urge them to fight for the Omnibus Gun Bill during the appropriations process and until the final gavel falls on this legislative session.

Don't delay. Seriously. We can armchair quarterback this session all you guys want after it's over. Right now, it's time to put our head down and fight until this session is over. Things are starting to look up IF we continue do our part to motivate our elected officials.

House leadership:
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Hit through IFC link and email sent directly to House Leadership.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#42]
IFC Action alert hit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Hit the IFC link as well.  I will make the daily call today as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Hit through IFC link and separate emails sent to each as well.  I'll continue calling as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Should be entertaining at least. Who is taking bets on if the senators keep their promises?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Any updates?   Pass the house?

Edit: is the senate gonna see this tonight?   Ping pong like last year?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Any updates?   Pass the house?

Edit: is the senate gonna see this tonight?   Ping pong like last year?
View Quote

Senate was in session for about 1 minute from 10:04 am to 10:05 am so no will not see action tonight.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#48]
hit!

the 'volley' back and forth on this could get interesting.  there is no doubt it'll get confusing and muddy, so hold on tight...
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh...

and all i'm saying is you are making grand assumptions.  do you really believe IFC and NRA are just tossing shit on the wall to see what sticks?

come on...  let's have some faith in the people we're asking to go work on our behalf.  the amount of second guessing by us all is troubling.  i really wished liked hell all of us could refrain from that.  especially when we've established this thread and others are being monitored by those directly impacting this law at the capitol.  what you say matters and when you prepare for defeat and roll out a bunch of rhetoric showing a pathway for them to wiggle or worse, they'll consider taking it...

hang in there!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Any updates on this so we can get the word out to hammer the Senate?
Page / 15
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top