BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 1/9/2015 1:15:08 AM EDT
SF425 does the following:
-Legalize suppressors and requires county sheriff's to sign off on applications.
-Adjusts retraining requirements for permit to carry holders (retraining required every 10 years rather the current 5 year requirement).
-Clarifies that online training is an acceptable form of training for permit to carry applicants.
-Gives a permit to carry holder the option to complete a "range re-qualification" rather than a full course if they so choose.
-Exempts veterans who've received small arms training in the military from having to go through training while applying for a permit to carry.
-Doubles the renewal period for permit to carry holders from 30 to 60 days.
-Makes getting a "permit to acquire" optional, and makes permits to acquire valid for 5 years rather than 1.
-Blocks the dissemination of all personal information for anyone who holds a permit to carry or permit to acquire.
-Repeals the ban on youth handgun shooting with proper adult supervision

The bill quite literally protects AND enhances our 2A rights.

How to take action
As expected the Iowa Firearms Coalition has made it easy to email your legislators.

I HIGHLY encourage you guys to send the IFC pre-written email, but also follow up with a personal note to your legislators. By hitting the pre-written emails you show that you're part of a large, organized movement, and then following up with a personal note (doesn't have to be anything big or fancy) proves that you're not just some spambot.

You can also call your legislators. Capitol switchboard number is – 515-281-3221. Just ask for your legislator (if you don't know who that is you'll have to tell them where you live).
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#1]
placeholder
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
CONTACT LIST

One new addition I'd like to make this year is a tally of what legislators have and have not been contacted. Last year we had lawmakers claiming to have not heard any support for legalizing suppressors, and thus they believed this is non-issue. Quite frankly this is unacceptable. The biggest hurdle we face in getting suppressors legalized are uneducated Iowans (legislators in particular). The IFC form letter goes only to the legislators that represent where you live. Now it's possible that this board does not have a member from every district in Iowa, but that doesn't mean we can't contact them all and show our support.

A bill to legalize suppressors is coming, but for right now we don't have a bill number or anything specific to reference. There will almost certainly be other pro-2nd Amendment bills introduced in addition to a suppressor bill. If you choose to contact these legislators before we have specific bill numbers I'd strongly encourage you to voice your support for more than just legalizing suppressors. A few words in support of things like: A Right to Keep and Bear Arms amendment to the state constitution, stand your ground, gun owner privacy protection, and so on, could pay big dividends towards getting several pieces of pro-2A legislation passed later this session.

If you guys contact any of these legislators please post who you contacted. I'll update this post with your name next to who you contacted. That way once we get rolling we'll have a pretty good of picture of who's been contacted and who has not, and then we can better direct our efforts.

If you get a response, please post who you heard from and if they indicated whether or not they'll support our bill. If you'd prefer to maintain high OPSEC but would still like to help the cause, you can PM me and I'll keep you anonymous, but still update the list (with out using your ARFCOM handle).

House of Represenatives
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- lonewolfgun
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- CaesAR15
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- jrmustang
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- Spart
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- dragonfd3s
[email protected] -- JohnReed
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- Greeeeenberg
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- HighJak86
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- JustinS - septic-tank13
[email protected] -- dalynchmob/IADPE
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- DeltaGunner7994
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- mattc1886
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- battleshipgrey
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- Soldier65
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- carguym14
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- nickforney
[email protected]
[email protected]

Senate
[email protected] -- septic-tank13/JustinS
[email protected] -- RUSHgsxr - eightmillimeter
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- Beef1911
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- Soldier65
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- TGClark44
[email protected]
[email protected] -- JohnReed
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- Tommy2399
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- HighJak86
[email protected] -- nickforney
[email protected]
[email protected] -- IADPE
[email protected] -- carguym14
[email protected]
[email protected] -- Beef1911
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- Zabojca
[email protected] -- Left-Weaver-G19
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- Spart
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] -- CatfishHunter
[email protected] -- battleshipgrey
[email protected]
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Confirmed contact -- i.e. response from a legislator has been received and documented.

Senate: 19 commitments to support
Chaz Allen
Bill Anderson
Tony Bisignano
Michael Breitbach
Julian Garrett
Wally Horn
David Johnson
Kevin Kinney
Tim Kraayenbrink
Matt McCoy
Ken Rozenboom
Charles Schneider
Tom Shipley
Amy Sinclair
Steve Sodders
Rich Taylor
Jack Whitver
Mary Jo Wilhelm
Brad Zaun

House of Reps: 29 commitments to support
Chip Baltimore
Terry Baxter
Deborah Berry
Brian Best
Darrel Branhagen
Gary Carlson
Dave Dawson
Dave Deyoe
Joel Fry
Pat Grassley
Stan Gustafson
Chris Hagenow
Greg Heartsill
Dave Heaton
Megan Jones
Bobby Kaufmann
Jarad Klein
John Landon
Brian Meyer
Zach Nunn
Rick Olson
Kraig Paulsen
Todd Pritchard
Ken Rizer
Walt Rogers
Mike Sexton
Ralph Watts
Matt Windschitl
Mary Wolfe
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Im looking forward to the session.

I have great representatives in my area and both the house rep and senator know about the importance here.  If any region needs another person to send a message I will gladly do so just give me the information and I will draft another email.

What is important in this is that we need a very very small number of democrats in general to side with us and we need it introduced.  Caesar15 knows how I feel about bipartisan nonsense.  We need it to be talked about and it takes only a few brave individuals to make that happen.  Any rep or senator that you have that claims to be democrat you need to grow a personal relationship or contact with you need to lock it down and tell them to PROVE IT.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Amanda Ragan would no.  I contacted her several times and then she flipped her vote. I did not vote to re-elect her but she still got in.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have contacted all of my reps. several times. I have never even got the generic thanks reply back. I would love for this to pass, but I do not see it happening. Right now anyway. Too many OLD libs are in power and untill they are replaced I fell it will not happen.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have contacted all of my reps. several times. I have never even got the generic thanks reply back. I would love for this to pass, but I do not see it happening. Right now anyway. Too many OLD libs are in power and untill they are replaced I fell it will not happen.
View Quote

Keep your head up and keep pushing, thank you for your effort.  Now go make an intro thread so we can all day hi!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm trying to take Dan Kelley @electkelley to task on firearms bills on twitter but he is reluctant to respond so far.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Michael,  I too am a believer in protecting our second amendment rights. Look forward to working with and for you!  Stay in touch and keep me aware of any legislation that may threaten these rights. Tim

Tim Kraayenbrink
Iowa State Senate
(515) 408-4770

We booted Beall for Tim
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Contact list is up to date at this point.

For the record, let me stress that even if you see a legislator has already been contacted by one of our members DON'T LET THAT STOP YOU FROM CONTACTING THEM. It's going to take multiple interactions to get some of these guys to get the picture. We're going for a political show of force, and that means it's going to take a lot of emails, calls, etc. The more people we can get in on this the better off we'll be.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks Michael,  I too am a believer in protecting our second amendment rights. Look forward to working with and for you!  Stay in touch and keep me aware of any legislation that may threaten these rights. Tim

Tim Kraayenbrink
Iowa State Senate
(515) 408-4770

We booted Beall for Tim
View Quote

Our first documented supporter. Great work carguym14!!!

Also, thanks for sharing his response. Hang on to that email!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For the record, let me stress that even if you see a legislator has already been contacted by one of our members DON'T LET THAT STOP YOU FROM CONTACTING THEM. It's going to take multiple interactions to get some of these guys to get the picture. We're going for a political show of force, and that means it's going to take a lot of emails, calls, etc. The more people we can get in on this the better off we'll be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is important.  Same goes for what ever they said they would do last year or what they even did last year.  This needs to be something that we keep reminding is important.  We fell short last year but just barely.  
I am going to be doing a basic block letter to the other districts that supported last year and say something along the lines of.

I understand that last year when the issue of suppressors for firearms in Iowa was brought up you voted in support of the second amendment.  I wanted to take a moment and thank you for supporting our rights and ask you to do so again in this years session.  Thanks for all you do to keep Iowa great.

I figure something short and sweet would work well.  I am a student now and have lots of guys in there late teens around me and suppressors sound cool as shit.  I am going to see how many of them I can rope into sending a bunch of emails out like I posted above just to get the numbers up.  If any of you guys have a handful of people who you know that like guns or would like suppressors or want to expand our 2A rights this is a great way to do it.

I think the IFC alert stuff is great and you should look into a membership over there and send out the legislative stuff when it comes out to show unity in numbers but I think sending emails or even snail mail to each rep/senator is a good thing.  I go as far as not sending the email to both at the same time so that they see only one name in the TO line.

We are gonna crush this sooner or later.  I don't really think we need an election to take this.  This is Iowa and we get shit done.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Keep your head up and keep pushing, thank you for your effort.  Now go make an intro thread so we can all day hi!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First off, thanks for getting involved. Secondly, I wouldn't give up hope on just day two the legislative session. Take heart that there's thousands of Iowan's pushing for this right along side you. I guarantee your district's lawmakers are hearing from more than just you on this issue.

Last year the suppressor bill passed the House by a freaking landslide. We appeared to have a majority of senators on board as well. We have the momentum. I personally am cautiously optimistic that this is going to happen this year. Realistically speaking I'm hoping we can get this signed into law and I'm hopeful that we'll have enough of you guys mobilized that we'll be able to use you all to get other pro-gun legislation passed this year as well.

Don't forget, Shall Issue was passed by a Senate that was run by a majority of Democrats. It was then signed into law by Democrat Governor Chet Culver. If we create enough pressuremotivation, we can and will get bi-partisan support for 2A bills.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Michael

Thank you for your emails. Please know that I’m very Pro Second Amendment and a member of NRA. I will not be voting for any anti-gun legislation. I will also support the suppressor bill when it comes up for a vote.

Mike

Rep Mike Sexton

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]
List now reflects Rep. Sexton's support and is now up to date.

carguym14  get's another gold star.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I know Rep. Jarad Klein supports this, and is very pro 2A.

I don't have an email this time, as I talk to him regularly, but I can assure you he is in support of legalizing suppresors (really, all NFA).
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Senator Matt McCoy is in support of sound moderators.

"I don’t anticipate any action on any bills that would impact your rights or mine related to the 2nd Amendment. I am surprised that people are sending these form emails in. I don’t think this is a smart way to move our agenda. I am also a strong defender of 2nd Amendment rights and I believe you will find my standing with NRA respectable. 

Best wishes. 

Matthew McCoy" 

I emailed him back saying suppressors this year would be nice. He replied again. 

"Agree on the suppressors. Folks that don’t shoot don’t understand this issue and think we are trying to legalize silencers. Really dumb, but we are educating. 

No big deal on the canned email. I just think we might offend some of our friends. It is hard enough trying to educated non-gun rights colleagues. We need to keep them open minded. I think we can win most of the arguments." 
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Lists are up to date as of this post.

Confirmed Support:

House
2 of 98

Senate
2 of 50

Beef1911 -- Most people would probably see Sen. McCoy's first response and just write him off as being against this. GREAT work continuing the conversation with him, if you hadn't we wouldn't know for certain that he actually supports our proposal.

Dalynchmob -- I'm putting Rep. Klein down in the support column based on your conversation and the fact that he voted for suppressors in 2014. If you get an email from him indicating his support go ahead and post it just be thorough. Thanks man!

Thanks for stepping up guys. We've got a lot of work to do, but I'm predicting things will pick up once we get the bill officially filed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got a reply back from one of my liberal reps just the other day and all it said was thanks for contacting me but I am unaware of any gun bills of any kind being considered this session
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I got a reply back from one of my liberal reps just the other day and all it said was thanks for contacting me but I am unaware of any gun bills of any kind being considered this session
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is expected as the session just started so 'being considered' simply means that there is nothing actually on the floor yet.  Keep tracking here and IFC will announce when and if any bills that have to do with gun rights in Iowa are introduced.  Remember it is still really early in the session so its not surprising that something hasn't been introduced.  This is a strategic move by your rep so it will be important that you thank them for the quick response and that you look forward to following the session.  Its good to thank them first off anyway but it shows that you will be watching and that won't be the last they hear.  The response they had was an attempt to feign friendship to guns basically like saying they didn't vote no one something but the only reason they didn't vote no on it was because it was buried before they had to.  Iowa is a somewhat difficult state to hate guns in most places so few will proudly proclaim that they don't like guns and they will vote against anything that comes up.  

So follow up and be polite
then when the bills are introduced IFC will announce
that is the time to re-connect with them again reminding them of the fast response and update before and asking about the new legislation which will have a house number etc that they cannot simply hide from or skirt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
senator chaz allen said yes to cans.
house rep kelley said not to cans.

FYI.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Septic-

Did you mean Kelly said "No" to cans -- as in he's against? Or he simply hasn't replied. Would you clarify please?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm contacting mine today, and asking that they combine the cans with the fireworks bill.

If I get dogpiled for the thought, I won't.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Septic-

Did you mean Kelly said "No" to cans -- as in he's against? Or he simply hasn't replied. Would you clarify please?
View Quote

he said yes to it every time he and i have talked and voted against EVERY time there was a vote.  this year he won't even say yes or discuss it.  also the sierra club is largest campaign contributor.  he's a safe NO and a proven liar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Senator Bill Andersen supports it.   Said he would be surprised if it came to a vote in the Senate but he's for it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Kelley has been dodging me too Michael.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Confirmed Support:

House
2 of 98

Senate
4 of 50

Good work guys!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey guys I figured I would send out a supplemental to my legis guys today and would share there here.  It took all of a few minutes even with one rep being new and requiring a few more words.  My senator bill johnson is very pro gun and supportive of suppressors last year.  I simply wrote to keep contact and get a thumb up for the tracker.

I will keep this brief as I know how busy you must be this time of year.  Last year you were very supportive of our second amendment rights and I am sure you will continue to do the same.  The Iowa firearms coalition is trying to get some kind of idea on where everyone is at in terms of gun laws this year and although I am sure you are still in strong support I figured it was best to touch base and see if you had any reservations.  Specifically I would like to know if you plan on supporting bills pertaining to an IA right to keep and bear amendment, stand your ground law and legalization of suppressors.  It would be great if I could just get a thumbs up from you which I can pass along to the IFC again for an accurate count for your constituents to see what we should expect to see.

Thanks for the work you do to keep Iowa great.
Nick Forney
Spirit Lake
View Quote

Note I already know him have had several conversations in person and on the phone as well as a chain of emails last session talking about suppressors and a certain senator blocking its path.  He is with us I was simply re-establishing contact as best as I can.  Im not good with words but the ones I always want to get in are that I understand he is busy and thanks for the time as well as being positive.  He has been helpful so I acknowledge that and re-affirm the issues at hand so he can come right back.  I specifically mention some of the things we want and ask if he has any reservations so people don't like that and would rather state all the facts out front.  This will be completely based off of your leaders and how they see the world.
------------------------------------------
This is to my newly elected house rep who is pro gun and a vet of Iraq and Afghanistan.  I touch on specific things rather than covering all the facts surrounding the issue.
First I would like to say congratulations on your seat.  I spoke with Jeff Smith as often as I could about things that are important to me and if you don't mind I would like to drop a note to you as well when something of importance comes up in the house.  My name is Nicholas Forney and I am a 29 year old student at Iowa Lakes living in Spirit Lake.  I was a member of the Army for 8 years and returned home in 2013.

I had a bit of a run in with a mortar round during a tour in Afghanistan and as a result am hard of hearing and require hearing aids to get through my classes.  I also happen to be very fond of shooting sports and our right to keep and bear arms.  These to come at a bit of a clash because of the issue of the noise.  When I lived in Colorado I could legally own a suppressor and it was a great help.  Now my suppressor sits at a dealers shop and will continue to do so until Iowa fixes its laws.  As of last year there were 39 states with legal suppressors and I believe Ohio finally decided to opt in last session.

I have been assured that groups like the Iowa Firearms Coalition and National Rifle Association  have been working tirelessly to get the ball rolling on this issue and the bill was narrowly denied last year.  I would like to get your take on this so I can put a mental check in the support column for my own representatives.  I know in general you support the second amendment but was curious on your thoughts on IA's right to keep and bear arms, stand your ground laws and the idea of suppressor legality.

Sorry for the long letter as I know your time is precious this time of year.
Nicholas Forney
my address and phone
View Quote

I think its important when establishing contact that you are not a one issue voter even if you are.  Let them know that you will be watching everything they do not just the gun stuff.  You don't have to have a sob story to tell as to why you want right to keep and bear, stand your ground and suppressor.  The facts do a hell of a lot of work for us but everyone has a different story and it is important that leaders have more than just a bombardment of facts.  I think it is also paramount that we tie all of our works this year together.  You guys know the 2a stuff takes 2 years one after the other in the same session.  So to get the constitution fixed it should happen this year.  Our push for suppressors should include the right to keep and bear and those that you know who agree to the keep and bear should push suppressors as well.  They are mutually beneficial and we need to make sure we are mentioning as much as we can.  I don't know if IFC will drop bills on all of the above or even more but it is important that our reps are thinking about it and it isn't something that is just randomly pushed onto their radar last minute.

We have a tough session this year but I have faith we will get some good stuff done.

If anyone else wants to share letters you have sent in it can be a great help to show others some ideas or formatting they can use to also send a more personalized one
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Received a response back from Wills already.  

Nick,

I am a veteran and served a tour in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I am sorry to hear about your disability.  Please let me know how things are going for you.  I know how the VA is to work with and it shouldn’t be painful to work with it.  I am brand new to the legislature and will have to get on my feet a bit.  I know that silencers were an issue in last year’s session.  I do not know if it will be an issue this year but will check.

As for the support of the Second Amendment, I did sign an amendment to the Iowa Constitution, as a co-signer, last week.  The amendment would make our constitution equal to the U.S. Constitution.  I also signed as a co-signer in legislation that would create a law for “Stand Your Ground” last week.

Please let me know your thoughts and hope to hear from you soon.
View Quote

as I said before he is a solid 2a supporter.  I suppose he didn't come out and say yes to cans but he will.  Remember that until we get an actual bill that is coming down the pipe it is hard for legislators to say if they will support it.  Sometimes they can support the idea but not the full wording of something.  When groups push for NO COMPROMISE that generally makes people not care to continue down that path.  I hope we can make smart compromises this term and get most of what we want rather than getting nothing and thumping our chests talking about not compromising.

-------------
eta Senator David Johnson responds

Nick,

Thanks for contacting me. I remain in support of all three bills that you mentioned should they come to a vote on the Senate floor. FYI I am working on a bill for a constitutional amendment to secure the rights to hunt, fish, and trap in Iowa. It is an honor to represent you at the state capital.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Response from Pat Grassley..

I appreciate you reaching out to me on the 2nd amendment. As one of only a few legislators to receive an A+ rating with the NRA, 2nd amendment issues are very important to me. I do hope you stay in touch on this issue with me.

Thanks,
Pat Grassley
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Confirmed Support:

House
2 of 98

Senate
5 of 50

================================================

I'll second nickforney's post from earlier. The IFC form letters are awesome, and they do a great job of showing support, but if you can send a personal note in addition to the IFC form letter we'll make some real traction. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

If you write your own personal email, and feel comfortable sharing it with the group go a head and post it up for the rest of us to use. Doesn't have to be anything super fancy or grandiose, just a simple note stating the facts & asking your lawmakers to vote yes on suppressors and other pro-Second Amendment bills.

I believe something personalized like that in conjunction with the IFC letters will show we're passionate about this issue and organized as well. IFC letter
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I've added 3 "personal" emails to the original posts at the start of this thread. Please feel free to pick one and send it to your legislators in addition to the IFC emails. Just don't forget to put in the legislator's name, and swap out your name in the closing.

Note, I stole these from last year's suppressor thread, can't remember who wrote them, so if they look familiar that might be why.

If you've got your own post it up, and I'll throw them in the OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Senator Bill Andersen supports it.   Said he would be surprised if it came to a vote in the Senate but he's for it.
View Quote

I just talked to Bill Anderson in person.  He was very supportive.  He said it will probably get out of committee but needs to be called for full vote by Gronstal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I just talked to Bill Anderson in person.  He was very supportive.  He said it will probably get out of committee but needs to be called for full vote by Gronstal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome work! That's great news, but let's not count on it until it actually happens.

Great job engaging with Sen. Anderson. It's tough to beat face to face interaction.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I haven't talked to Jared Klein but as mentioned above he's a strong 2A supporter.

I HAVE been having a conversation with Senator Kevin Kinney and here was his initial response:

IADPE,
I am still deciding how I feel on this issue. My experience as an officer has me torn on this issue Officer are trained to go to the threat and if you cannot  hear the threat you cannot go direct of threat. I look forwar to hearing from you.
Kevin Kinney
View Quote

I am continuing the conversation and could use some help here...
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Guaranteed support from Representative J. Garrett and Senator S. Gustafson
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I haven't talked to Jared Klein but as mentioned above he's a strong 2A supporter.

I HAVE been having a conversation with Senator Kevin Kinney and here was his initial response:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

IADPE,
I am still deciding how I feel on this issue. My experience as an officer has me torn on this issue Officer are trained to go to the threat and if you cannot  hear the threat you cannot go direct of threat. I look forwar to hearing from you.
Kevin Kinney

I will put down sine thighs on this when I get home.   This will be easily countered as it has A. Never happened and B is not representative of how suppressors really work and C more people are assaulted with completely silent objects such as blunt objects, knives, and even hands and fists.   If his problem was legitimate every crime that didn't involve a 180 db sonic Boom would go unsolved.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Confirmed Support:

House
3 of 98

Senate
6 of 50

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I will put down sine thighs on this when I get home.   This will be easily countered as it has A. Never happened and B is not representative of how suppressors really work and C more people are assaulted with completely silent objects such as blunt objects, knives, and even hands and fists.   If his problem was legitimate every crime that didn't involve a 180 db sonic Boom would go unsolved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IADPE,
Kevin Kinney

In mentioned 1) no crime with a suppressor; 2) NOT silencer; 3) less noise= better neighbor; 4) save my hearing; 5) Prairie Rats don't hide quite so quickly in my reply a couple days ago.  No response so far.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Cross posted because this is relevant to this thread as well...

JohnReed asked me to put this message out to the group on his behalf. He's been meeting with lawmakers on a near daily basis, and has some insights on how to maximize the effectiveness of your communications with legislators.

==============================

It occurs to me that some of you may not know how you can help to communicate with your legislators in a manner that will synchronize your message with ours. Of course, feel free to communicate anyway that you want, but if you want to be helping us in our efforts in a generic sort of way, here’s what you can do.

Stress these two themes in all your communications, doing this will put an exclamation point on what the IFC lobbyists are saying on the hill.

1) ALWAYS state clearly that you support and want them to support a Right to Keep and Bear Arms amendment to the Iowa Constitution and that you won’t settle for the federal wording. You want the enhanced language that National Rifle Association and Iowa Firearms Coalition has presented.

It may happen that a bill would get introduced that would mimic the federal language. We’ve been told that such a bill would get strong support from nearly everyone in both chambers. However, that bill, should it come out, would NOT be anything IFC would support. Amending the Constitution is a long, arduous fight so it’s not done very much. Therefore, If we’re going to work to get an amendment through, that amendment MUST be the best we can get for future generations of Iowans.

I think we can all agree that the federal language, while clear to us, has been problematic in this age, and is yet not properly applied to We the People’s rights. Therefore, the language we will be putting up (very soon) will be an amplified version wherein the meaning of the language is clarified.

Example: Would you believe that there are some (perhaps many) who don’t understand that the word “bear” means “carry”? I personally find that absurd, but it’s there nonetheless. So, it’s imperative that the word “carry” be inserted into any amendment we put forth. In addition, our language would include the legal phrase, “strict scrutiny,” a phrase I’ll not explain here because you can easily look it up. But that phrase MUST be included in order that the high courts not easily erode the protection we intend the new amendment to afford our kids and grand kids.

2) ALWAYS state clearly that their support of the Second Amendment will always benefit them and never harm them with the public. The 2nd Amendment is a winner for politicians – always has been and always will be. In fact, support for the 2nd Amendment is growing with the public as recent polls clearly point out.

Some legislators seem to understand this to the extent that they know their district and how it feels about our firearms rights. But, even they become concerned when they think of other districts. Rare indeed is a district where a legislator would be punished for voting for any good firearms rights bills. You see, that’s what this is — it’s a civil, common law RIGHT. Firearms aren’t ‘social’ bills and we certainly don’t ask for money. This is about our CIVIL RIGHTS! Legislators who support civil rights win. Therefore, when they support firearms bills, they win! Help them understand that.

Unless we are calling for you to support a specific action or issue, use the above as a guide to include with your communications to your legislators. Doing this would be helping us a great deal.

Thank you for your efforts!

John Reed
Chair – Board of Directors
Iowa Firearms Coalition
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Confirmed Support:

House
3 of 98

Senate
6 of 50

Our little list is slowly growing. Keep at it gang.

Legislative Recap - Week 2
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Justin:

Thank you for contacting me.  I want to stress that I believe the Bill of Rights is clear in the protection to keep and bear arms through the 2nd Amendment.  I do believe, though, that there need to be common sense limitations on these rights, just as there are on other rights in the Constitution, such as time and place limitations on 1st Amendment protections for freedom of speech, that can protect the public while allowing individuals to exercise their rights.  I understand there are limitations that can protect legitimate public policy concerns while still allowing law abiding citizens to use firearms.  As always, I will strongly consider any legislation that I have the opportunity to debate and vote on, and this proposal is no different.  I am always willing to discuss the issues with my constituents and welcome you to visit me at the Capitol to discuss this issue or any other.

Rep Kelley

He will be  no
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Justin:

Thank you for contacting me.  I want to stress that I believe the Bill of Rights is clear in the protection to keep and bear arms through the 2nd Amendment.  I do believe, though, that there need to be common sense limitations on these rights, just as there are on other rights in the Constitution, such as time and place limitations on 1st Amendment protections for freedom of speech, that can protect the public while allowing individuals to exercise their rights.  I understand there are limitations that can protect legitimate public policy concerns while still allowing law abiding citizens to use firearms.  As always, I will strongly consider any legislation that I have the opportunity to debate and vote on, and this proposal is no different.  I am always willing to discuss the issues with my constituents and welcome you to visit me at the Capitol to discuss this issue or any other.

Rep Kelley

He will be  no
View Quote

edited for nickforney GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Hope to see this legislation continue moving forward. It was painful walking around SHOT show seeing all the wonderful new hearing protection available to MOST Americans that I cannot legally own
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Please re-phrase your post... many people watch these forums and your poor language will not help our cause.
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Justin:

Rep Kelley

He will be  no
View Quote

<-- that's my surprised face.

We had a pretty good idea he was in favor of common sense limitations infringing in our rights. I'd say you owe it to yourself to send a few more emails as soon as the suppressor bill is introduced. You know, just to keep him apprised of the situation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please re-phrase your post... many people watch these forums and your poor language will not help our cause.

thanks

This is something I've been meaning to bring up for a little while now. Last year's version of this thread really took off once we got the bill introduced -- which was awesome. But we also learned that others with 'differing view points' from outside our little community are watching. My point is we're all adults here, and I think I speak for all of us when I say I don't want some childish comment in the IAHTF to derail all this work.

By all means, make your point and share your thoughts, but just know that people who want to shut this bill down by any means possible are waiting for us to give them the rope to hang ourselves.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We had a pretty good idea he was in favor of common sense limitations infringing in our rights. I'd say you owe it to yourself to send a few more emails as soon as the suppressor bill is introduced. You know, just to keep him apprised of the situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Justin:

Rep Kelley

He will be  no

I've got a reply drafted up, he'll be getting some follow up emails!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Justin:

Rep Kelley

He will be  no

dan doesn't seem to act on the wishes of his constituents.  maybe we should go to one of his saturday morning coffee and address these interruptions in service in front of the blue hair crowd.  any reason not to?  after all, he's counting on us to shut up and go away...  give me a holler justin.  i'll go with you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#50]
You got a schedule of those?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top