Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2014 12:22:27 AM EDT
hey all,

so im going through the process of getting my type 01 ffl. Going to be doing gunsmithing, and SOME retail, but no retail store, doing this out of my home. And yes, the ATF still allows that so dont try and tell me they wont.

Anyway, I'm torn on a few different names for my "business" . I will be focusing on AR gunsmithing, as well as building custom uppers and "gunsmithing" lowers for people, as well as having most parts needed to service the rifle on hand, and a small amount of items used by most shooters, ie, mags, ammo, cases, etc.

So, with all that being said, what do you guys think for a name? Located in S.W. iowa, so im thinking Southwest Iowa ....... or Midwest ....... thought about tactical supply, but i feel that is A. too corny, B. suggests i will do much more than I plan on starting out.

Help me out fellas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to think about name branding and separating yourself from other and long term

Will the name be unique, distinguishable from everyone else and easy to remember. Is there a URL or web name available for the name. Is it short for a email address like a .com afterwards. Is there a similar name registered with the Secretary of State? Are you going to setup as a business entity and what type.

Just some things to think about
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
not doing online sales for the forseable future, or at least not a website. TOO much cost in that for the time im investing. Probably going to be a LLC, but not 100% on that. kind of why I wanted your guys' opinions.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]
already got one guy having me build him an upper. what do you guys think I should charge for labor? I don't want to rip anyone off, and not trying to make a fortune, genuinely want to help people get stuff cheaper. I would rather more people have AR's than me a few extra $$'s. But, I have to make something to make the wife happy haha
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Constrained Chaos Arms
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Constrained Chaos Arms
View Quote

dick...  lol.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
give me a call and i'll walk you through the entire process if you want.  ffl, llc, business license, sales tax permit, getting registered with the state, conditional use permit to operate your business from a residence, etc.

515 344 4443

also, you can do what you want, but try to be more original that 'tactical' anything...  that's a fucking fad and the more 'tactical' shops i see open up i wanna puke.  choose something that is indicative of your shop for the long haul, as the 'tactical' thing will hopefully come full circle like the other stupid shit...  zombie this and zombie that...  lol.  same thing.

not trying to offend, but changing your name on down the line is a pain in the ass, so choose carefully.  something that can be shortened into an acronym that isn't used heavily yet by others is good too for marketing purposes.

give me a ring.

-michael
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Red Jacket firearms might be available soon.

On a "less asshole" note, Good luck with whatever you do.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with Washington redskins firearms.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#9]
As others have said, when picking a business name, you not only want to to consider what you are doing today, but also what you might be doing in the future.  I am also with the others - stay away from the word Tactical.  Seriously.  That word just makes me NOT want to do business with you - and I love my AR's.

I would also tend to try to stay somewhat generic on the name.  As in not specifying what you do, but rather what field you are in.

You mentioned being in Southwest Iowa, so maybe something like:

SWI Shooting Sports
S.W.I.S.S. Arms

Or something that is more of a term reflected with the business, like:

On Target
MSR Arms and Supply (Modern Sport Rifles)
Custom Thunder Arms (since you were talking about custom building)
Top Shot
Armory Arms
Ballistic
Double Tap

... something of that basic nature.

I didn't check to see what of these might already be used, but hopefully one of these might spark an idea/name.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'd go with Washington redskins firearms. Automatic Assault Weapons
View Quote
FIFY

Get some naming ideas, go on the Secretary of State,(Iowa) website and see if they're taken. then come back here with a poll.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#11]
You guys are fucking awesome. So, I agree with leaving the word tactical out of the name. Not an operator, dont claim to be, dont want people thinking i think i am lmao.

So, thanks to you guys and a few friends these are what I'm thinking :

2A(as in 2nd amendment) Arms and supplies
2A arms
MSR arms and supplies

Let me know what you think!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:29:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
give me a call and i'll walk you through the entire process if you want.  ffl, llc, business license, sales tax permit, getting registered with the state, conditional use permit to operate your business from a residence, etc.

515 344 4443

also, you can do what you want, but try to be more original that 'tactical' anything...  that's a fucking fad and the more 'tactical' shops i see open up i wanna puke.  choose something that is indicative of your shop for the long haul, as the 'tactical' thing will hopefully come full circle like the other stupid shit...  zombie this and zombie that...  lol.  same thing.

not trying to offend, but changing your name on down the line is a pain in the ass, so choose carefully.  something that can be shortened into an acronym that isn't used heavily yet by others is good too for marketing purposes.

give me a ring.

-michael
View Quote

thanks man! I will definitely take you up on that! one of the big hurdles i'm already noticing is going to be getting into the 'industry' and getting discounts without buying 5+k worth of merch right away. I do have one guy that is going to hook me up with all his wholesalers and whatnot for deals, but so far I've hit a brick wall with one of the big companies i was really wanting to be a dealer of, and that's Vortex. they are pretty strict on their authorized dealer status agreement.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Fyi, There is a "2nd Ammendment" Gun shop in the Cedar Rapids area.

Also, as far as discounts go, some places like Browells will give you a discount if you put your FFL on file with your account there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Arms

Unforgettable
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
SWI2ARMs  (South Western Iowa 2A aRMs)

Kinda looks like swizarms.  

Just a thought.

Good luck!

PS - sent you an IM
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys. Couldn't find anything on any of the names i mentioned online. 2A MSR and supply is what I am leaning towards right now
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
You are welcome to call me on Monday to discuss your insurance. I write a large portion on dealers in the state and have both of the companies that will not exclude the gunsmithing, as almost every insurance company automatically adds the exclusion for gunsmithing work which leaves you vulnerable.
641-423-2442.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You are welcome to call me on Monday to discuss your insurance. I write a large portion on dealers in the state and have both of the companies that will not exclude the gunsmithing, as almost every insurance company automatically adds the exclusion for gunsmithing work which leaves you vulnerable.
641-423-2442.
View Quote

Thank you I will do that! I havn't talked with my Insurance company yet, i go through USAA for everything.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
so whats everything think of

2A MSR and Supply

or

2A MSR's and Supplies

Wondering about the whole "MSR" thing. Wonder how many people with know what it stands for? Should I spell it out? Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#20]
delete
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
delete
View Quote

?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#22]
post wasn't cohesive with thread
sorry

Merry Christmas all
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#23]
You need to make a profit. The fun with eventually dissipate and strict deadlines you put on yourself, work, family, friends, and this hobby will eventually begin to snowball. Not to mention the legal hoops you have to jump through. Your friends will expect discounts and soon you will find why everyone just gives up. You being Military I assume that's not in your vocabulary , even though your Air Force! ? Just playing !  Obviously give Septic a call since he is so generous with everything.

I took Taxidermy class from a guy and he once told me a story about a company that called in a repair man to fix a giant complex machine they had. When it was down they were actually losing money. The repair man came in and after taking a minute to find the problem he turned a screw and the problem was fixed. The bosses happiness turned to frustration after the repair man handed him a bill for $100 . The repair man explained he didn't even charge for the service call. The boss was still upset that 5 minutes worth of labor cost $100 to turn a screw. The repairman told him he only charged $1 for turning the screw and $99 for knowing what screw to turn.

Obviously be fair in your work and pricing but dont get taken advantage of. Don't turn a hobby into work, turn work into a hobby. After all if you get paid to do what you love then you will never work again the rest of your life is what they say. Good luck and let us know your contact info so we can come check it out if we are in the area.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
post wasn't cohesive with thread
sorry

Merry Christmas all
View Quote

Have too much eggnog did you ? you better share that shit
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You need to make a profit. The fun with eventually dissipate and strict deadlines you put on yourself, work, family, friends, and this hobby will eventually begin to snowball. Not to mention the legal hoops you have to jump through. Your friends will expect discounts and soon you will find why everyone just gives up. You being Military I assume that's not in your vocabulary , even though your Air Force! ? Just playing !  Obviously give Septic a call since he is so generous with everything. I took Taxidermy class from a guy and he once told me a story about a company that called in a repair man to fix a giant complex machine they had. When it was down they were actually losing money. The repair man came in and after taking a minute to find the problem he turned a screw and the problem was fixed. The bosses happiness turned to frustration after the repair man handed him a bill for $100 . The repair man explained he didn't even charge for the service call. The boss was still upset that 5 minutes worth of labor cost $100 to turn a screw. The repairman told him he only charged $1 for turning the screw and $99 for knowing what screw to turn.

Obviously be fair in your work and pricing but dont get taken advantage of. Don't turn a hobby into work, turn work into a hobby. After all if you get paid to do what you love then you will never work again the rest of your life is what they say. Good luck and let us know your contact info so we can come check it out if we are in the area.

View Quote

Thanks man. Wise words!

I am doing this without any loans, grants or handouts. All starting with my own money, i have worked hard for, therfore i am starting off VERY small, in my basement shop. I have a full basement, so lots of space, i plan on turning into a mancave/ small retail area next to my enclosed shop that locks.

I would love anyone that is local to me(red oak, iowa) to come help out with the construction, give advice/criticism, etc. I am mostly doing this out of my love for the hobby, building rifles, and helping guys out that know little to nothing learn, as wells as learn myself from the guys that know leaps and bounds more than I(there are a lot).  

Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the S.W.I.S.S. Arms.

What county are you in?
kwg
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like the S.W.I.S.S. Arms.

What county are you in?
kwg
View Quote

I kinda liked the S.W.I.S.S. Arms too.  It's short, easy to remember, and can be explained away as standing for South West Iowa Shooting Sports (or whatever else you would prefer to have it mean).  Best part of using the letters is that you can change the words to something else if you move/decide of something else.  And who knows, maybe you would get a few extra people calling/peeking in looking for guns from Switzerland...

In response to the OP's question on MSR, I think that there is a pretty good chance that most people will not know what it stands for.  You can handle that in a logo/sign, or use it as an opportunity to tell people what it means, stressing that the AR15 is not an assault rifle/weapon as it is so often designated on the MSM, but rather a sporting rifle/weapon.

ETA:  You could also maybe just shorten and use MSA (Modern Sporting Arms).
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#28]
thanks guys! I still have a little time to finalize the name, but right now i'm starting to lean towards:

2A MSR&Supply

or

S.W.I MSR&Supply - although if we move, it might make it difficult to take the business name with us

I am a HUGE proponent to telling people what the 2A is, Hell, I even have it tattooed on my right forearm(the length of my forearm, just so happens thats my shooting arm)
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Let us know when your up and running.  I have a buddy down in your neck of the woods that wants his 16" barrel cut down to 14.7" and his flash hider pinned.  He is also wants his front sight tower replaced with a low-pro gas block.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Let us know when your up and running.  I have a buddy down in your neck of the woods that wants his 16" barrel cut down to 14.7" and his flash hider pinned.  He is also wants his front sight tower replaced with a low-pro gas block.
View Quote

Right now I wont have the option to cut down his barrel, I will be honest and straight forward on that. However, I could do his LP gas block!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Like I said, starting out VERY small, Limited heavy equipment. Eventually i would like to get a small lathe, Drill press, Etc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Well talked it over with the wife, we are both thinking SWISS arms is the way to go
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#33]
You said your in Red Oak? My wife is from Emerson so I will have to swing by next time I am in that area.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#34]
just got off the phone with the ATF, looks like according to the guy I talked to in Des Moines, if I go 07, the ITAR fees are a must, as soon as I "manufacture" my first firearm. However, He did say that If i am only doing a few lowers a year, and doing them as "gunsmithing", i will be fine with an 01, just dont make it a main course of business. Which I have a feeling the cerakote side is going to be the biggest thing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
just got off the phone with the ATF, looks like according to the guy I talked to in Des Moines, if I go 07, the ITAR fees are a must, as soon as I "manufacture" my first firearm. However, He did say that If i am only doing a few lowers a year, and doing them as "gunsmithing", i will be fine with an 01, just dont make it a main course of business. Which I have a feeling the cerakote side is going to be the biggest thing.
View Quote

Have you been to the brownells gunsmithing conference in Des Moines? I went last year and learned a lot about the business. The ATF is there and did a presentation. I went last year and sat at the lunch table between Stan Chen and Doug Turnbull.

The next one is coming up at the end of March I think.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#36]
No i havn't, i plan on trying to get there this year though

Quoted:

Have you been to the brownells gunsmithing conference in Des Moines? I went last year and learned a lot about the business. The ATF is there and did a presentation. I went last year and sat at the lunch table between Stan Chen and Doug Turnbull.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#37]
No i havn't, i plan on trying to get there this year though

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Also, the name i went with is SWISS arms & Cerakote.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#39]
LLC is filed through legal zoom, should be up and running in 7-10 days. !!!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#40]
LLC is filed through legal zoom, should be up and running in 7-10 days. !!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, got a VM from legal zoom, LLC is in the states hands now, we shall see how long it takes for the state to finish it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#42]
you shoulda sent me an email.  i had all that stuff setting here waiting for you in an email draft.  no worries though.  glad you're on the way.

-michael
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
you shoulda sent me an email.  i had all that stuff setting here waiting for you in an email draft.  no worries though.  glad you're on the way.

-michael
View Quote

Michael,

Please, don't take it personally. I totally forgot. I am so busy with work, OT, the toddler, and this, that I am a little over-whelmed. And we just found out the wife is loosing her job this year, at any point. They are closing the doors at her facility. SO, I felt a little rush on getting this all done. Again, I am sorry I didn't email you, however, I greatly appreciated the talk, and all the information you passed, and look forward to future talks.  

BTW, Are you a member of the cerakote fb page? Called cerakote applicators, great group of guys sharing patterns, files, advice, etc. We even have a guy from South Africa on there! you should join!

James
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Michael,

Please, don't take it personally. I totally forgot. I am so busy with work, OT, the toddler, and this, that I am a little over-whelmed. And we just found out the wife is loosing her job this year, at any point. They are closing the doors at her facility. SO, I felt a little rush on getting this all done. Again, I am sorry I didn't email you, however, I greatly appreciated the talk, and all the information you passed, and look forward to future talks.  

BTW, Are you a member of the cerakote fb page? Called cerakote applicators, great group of guys sharing patterns, files, advice, etc. We even have a guy from South Africa on there! you should join!

James
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-michael

Michael,

James

i figured you were up to your eyeballs.  no worries.  if you need that stuff, holler.

no, not a member of that one.  if you're talking about piet, he's a great guy.  we've collaborated on some projects together and he's pretty talented.  i'll have to check it out.  thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#45]
That I was. He has killer skills, and I agree, great guy, the whole group is great guys. You should definitely join!

Quoted:

i figured you were up to your eyeballs.  no worries.  if you need that stuff, holler.

no, not a member of that one.  if you're talking about piet, he's a great guy.  we've collaborated on some projects together and he's pretty talented.  i'll have to check it out.  thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-michael

Michael,

James

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:40:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Okay everyone. LLC is up and running. My dealer accounts with Seekins, Aero and White Oak Armament are up, and My cerakote shop should be done in the next few weeks. Decided to go with an 07 FFL so I can assemble lowers for customers without worrying about the red tape BS.

Let me know if You need anything. As far as I have been told, I can order the FFL required items, just have to have it sent to the FFL of the customers choosing, then the customer has to pick it up. So, If you want something FFL required, let me know, I will see if I can help you out.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#47]
kudos and congrats!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
kudos and congrats!
View Quote

Thank you so much, you were a HUGE help with me deciding which way to go. BTW, going with Joseph Cierello(sp?) for insurance. 01 and 07 are the same cost, they go off of sales for your premium. This year im anticipating less than 10g's in sales, so they said my premiums will be 12-1500 for the year. Not horrible. They will also cover my equipment which is awesome. So if there is a power surge in the garage and it fries all my equipment, they will replace it.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top