Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 7:42:19 PM EDT
Boss Hogg is still there but he is now listed as head of  Government Oversight; but if I am right that is not the same committee he headed that kept holding gun things up was it??

I don't know what if anything this may or may not change. Maybe some of the smarter guys here can chime in on what this might mean?

http://qctimes.com/news/local/government-and-politics/committee-leaders-named-for-iowa-senate/article_af0aaf3e-036a-583f-948e-3e98cd294f40.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
New standing committee leaders Sens. Janet Petersen, D-Des Moines, commerce; Rita Hart, D-Wheatland, economic development; Rob Hogg, D-Cedar Rapids, government oversight; Steve Sodders, D-State Center, judiciary; Tony Bisignano, D-Des Moines, labor/business relations; Rich Taylor, D-Mount Pleasant, local government, and Horn, veterans affairs.
View Quote

It was my understanding that Boss Hogg used to be head of the judiciary committee and let the bills die there. So if Hogg is out, what do we know about Senator Sodders?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Sodders was in the did not reply category from the scoreboard thread.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Sodders is a D....but unless he's a complete turd he's gotta be better than Hogg.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
So Hogg is now in an even less suited committee (a career politician who pays games in oversight?), though it may or may not be good for us.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe Hogg ducked out because he didn't want to take the pressure or get flooded with emails?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe Hogg ducked out because he didn't want to take the pressure or get flooded with emails?
View Quote

Really it's all just speculation at this point. Regardless of the reason Hogg is no longer chair of the Judiciary Committee, and we're theoretically in a better position than we previously were.

When I saw the news last night I did some quick digging. Hogg has an F rating by the NRA (no surprise). Sodders was given a C+ rating in 2012 (note, his grade may have changed since then).

We're moving in the right direction. It's somewhat uncharted territory, but that's a good thing. We're really going to have to step our coordination.

This legislative session just got a lot more interesting that's for certain.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Really it's all just speculation at this point. Regardless of the reason Hogg is no longer chair of the Judiciary Committee, and we're theoretically in a better position than we previously were.

When I saw the news last night I did some quick digging. Hogg has an F rating by the NRA (no surprise). Sodders was given a C+ rating in 2012 (note, his grade may have changed since then).

We're moving in the right direction. It's somewhat uncharted territory, but that's a good thing. We're really going to have to step our coordination.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this...

we're not in a worse position.  sodders campaigns on pro gun stuff, holds gun raffles for fun raisers, etc.  looks like he'll have to put up some stuff this year.  he's a deputy in marshall county.  interesting sheriff he has for a boss...  let's skip that for the time being...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I highly doubt he gives two shits
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it may not have been hogg's decision.  if i were mike gronstal, took stock of the recent election sway, and looked at how much and how often hogg walked right up to a camera just to say to iowans "too bad, i'm not doing what i don't want to do" i might make somebody else the judiciary chair with no loss of sleep.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:56:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Seems like anyone over hogg is good to me.  We are going to get suppressors this year.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Seems like anyone over hogg is good to me.  We are going to get suppressors this year.
View Quote

Now, I like that kind of optimism.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#12]
So how long until we can bring the suppressor legislation back to the floor or whatever
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Until the start of the session? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iowa+legislative+session+2015

Seriously though, I hope suppressors are an issue this year again.  IFC/NRA will likely pick something based on a calculated strategy, and they've pushed different issues every year since shall issue finally passed.

2011 - Mourning Dove season
2012 - SYG & RKBA Amendment
2013 - Permit confidentiality
2014 - Suppressors
2015 - ?

http://iowafc.org/victories/
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#14]
So when do we start pushing for suppressors?  Lol.  I will be in contact with my Senator soon, i believe he introduced the bill last year, so i'm sure he'll be game for another go around.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So when do we start pushing for suppressors?  Lol.  I will be in contact with my Senator soon, i believe he introduced the bill last year, so i'm sure he'll be game for another go around.
View Quote

Make it happen!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

good question.

if it were me, i'd be calling my house rep and my senator and let them know you're an NRA and IFC member and the you expect suppressor legislation to make it to the governor's desk this year.

while you're at it, call your neighboring reps and senators and let them know the same.  if everyone reading on this forum did that in the next three weeks, those guys would walk in on day one for caucus meetings knowing we have an expectation it gets done.  that CERTAINLY helps set the stage.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top