Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2014 3:56:19 PM EDT
...to harass / trick / intentionally misinterpret people into giving up their constitutional rights.
http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/10/cop-asks-driver-why-is-it-that-everyone

Sadly, I suppose this is a pretty common conversation type in the current "trick them into compliance" culture. May be better than the old "beat them, search them, and lie about it" tactics, but it sure doesn't make me trust them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw the video yesterday on liveleak and I thought, "what a shit-bag".  Checking KCCI this morning I was somewhat surprised that it was local.  But, then again, maybe I shouldn't have been.  I lived in Ankeny for four years, never heard a good thing from people about Ankeny police, but I never had any personal interactions with them.  I try to keep an open mind, and I have many family members in LE(believe it or not, I don't care), but that dude sucks at life and he should feel bad.

eta:  Shitbags are in every profession, hopefully he doesn't try to suck so much in the future.  Putting words in people's mouths?  he's a cock-fag.  I really can't put it in any other words
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
There's only two things you need to know about this:

1) Sometimes police need to ask questions to validate/answer a gut feeling when PC does not exist.  This officer needs a long lesson in field interviewing but at least he is making an effort to ask questions.  Tim McVey was caught by an officer who had a gut feeling that something wasn't right and asked some simple questions.

2) Even though the interaction was horrible to watch it was 100% in line with the rights of the drivers and passengers.  No Constitutional or civil rights were violated, not even a gray area, not even close.

For all out there who do nothing but bitch about what the police do and how they do it, why can't you be thankful this guy CLEARLY knows the law and what his duties and obligations are, even if he isn't exactly a people person.

PS... Anytime anyone asks you a yes-no question and you answer negatively without actually saying "no", you are being at least partially deceptive over 90% of the time, this has been studied many times by psych types.  Hint: even this Ankeny officer knows this and structures his questions so that people are likely to lie to any negative question.  

One of the guys I work with got a complaint for asking a lady where she was going during a traffic stop, come on now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
What really pisses me off the officer did not even have the common courtesy to shake the drivers hand after this what is the world coming to lol
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1) Sometimes police need to ask questions to validate/answer a gut feeling when PC does not exist.  This officer needs a long lesson in field interviewing but at least he is making an effort to ask questions.  Tim McVey was caught by an officer who had a gut feeling that something wasn't right and asked some simple questions.

2) Even though the interaction was horrible to watch it was 100% in line with the rights of the drivers and passengers.  No Constitutional or civil rights were violated, not even a gray area, not even close.

For all out there who do nothing but bitch about what the police do and how they do it, why can't you be thankful this guy CLEARLY knows the law and what his duties and obligations are, even if he isn't exactly a people person.

PS... Anytime anyone asks you a yes-no question and you answer negatively without actually saying "no", you are being at least partially deceptive over 90% of the time, this has been studied many times by psych types.  Hint: even this Ankeny officer knows this and structures his questions so that people are likely to lie to any negative question.  

One of the guys I work with got a complaint for asking a lady where she was going during a traffic stop, come on now.
View Quote

I agree that no rights were violated. The officer did make multiple outright lies though, in an attempt to trick the detained person into GIVING UP their civil rights. DECEIT does not build trust.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree that no rights were violated. The officer did make multiple outright lies though, in an attempt to trick the detained person into GIVING UP their civil rights. DECEIT does not build trust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree that there was any trickery going on.  Officer clearly asked for consent to search, was denied, and went about his way.  The only reason this is a big deal and on the net is because of the officers attitude and line of questioning used.  Had he done it any other way they STILL would have filmed it, STILL would have refused the eventual request for a search, and at the end of the day would have nothing to show other than a video where they got pulled over and refused a search... BFD there's already like 1000000 of those on YouTube.  I already said the officer sucks at asking investigatory questions, he also had no clue about who he was dealing with (even if they were asshats, which they may very well have been acting like when he told them their headlight was out).
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Another example of how talking to the police gains you nothing and could cost you everything.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
this may piss some of you off, but you're just going to have to live with it or stop reading my post...

i've got a real problem with cop bashing.  it seems to have become popular.  yes, the MRAP thing and others are 'silly' to me and the direction the political class is moving the departments, subtle as it goes, is irresponsible in my opinion.  that said, there's only about 90% of officers that are good eggs and do what they their jobs for good reason.  

come on guys...

let's turn the tables for a bit.  when some dumbfuck screws up as a 'gun owner' do we all as gun owners assume the blame?  no.  we say it like it is.  we say "that guy is an idiot and doesn't represent the firearms community"...  we need to be using the same logic for cops.  one guy plays a game and entices a guy on stop?  i don't care for it.  not one bit.  but i'm not going to lump the other 30 guys on ankeny pd or across the country into that category...  what reasonable person would?

the other thing i think people miss in this scenario is simple.  KNOW YOUR RIGHTS.  all i hear resulting from these snippets on the news is "cops can do this" and "cops can't do that" over and over.  hell, if you had to list off what cops can and can't do, you'd know the state and federal code better than any lawyer you could hire.  that's just silly and waste of your time.  instead learn what you can do and be done with it.  simple things like "am i under arrest" or "am i being detained" or "i don't have to answer that, may i go?" are some of the handful of things you can respond with.  they aren't inappropriate and they don't have to be snarky...

when i see 'leadership' opting into these gov programs for all kinds of stuff i tend to get my hackles up.  but i'm not upset with the beat cops for it...  when the ISSDA and other orgs systematically oppose our 2A rights at the capitol as their default stance, they create a chasm between them and the public they wish to serve.  that is inherently foolish, long and short term.  however, when we get to the place where our default position is 'cops are against us' then we're part the problem too....

think about that...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]
29 years 8 months and 1 week at Ankeny PD.  If you knew something about the history of Heritage park you may reconsider your comments.   I pay taxes in Ankeny and I ABSOLUTELY EXPECT the Officers of APD to be shaking trees and asking questions.  Who was the ARFCOMER who lost some guns out of his unlocked car last spring?  Ask him how he feels about Cops stopping cars, asking questions and doing his or her job.  

Heritage park has been a huge draw to all kinds of drug and criminal activity and where the bad guys were hanging out long before I arrived in 1979.  Just because it has a Frisbee golf course in the park does not mean business as usual does NOT occur.   I like the Chief at Ankeny but he has managed to keep his job because he walks a PC thin line.  He's doing what it takes to keep his job and this time an officer got thrown under the bus.  Nothing new about that.  You don't think we asked direct questions before we got cameras in the cars?   There was  nothing new on that video that hasn't taken place for the last 225 years in America. (since the birth of the US Marshalls Service)  It just got shown to the public this time.  My guess is the parents of the young man are politically connected and smoke came down on the Chief and shit rolls down hill to the Officer.  Nothing new about that.  

Nothing new about anything on that video or what the officer did and what the Chief did to him.  Politically connected folks have always taken great joys in throwing good cops under the bus.  If they can do it to a cop they can do it to you.  Who wants to be next?

kwg
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn you booger!  Now I'm gonna have nightmares and bad dreams.  kwg
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The name Officer Linda Cherry still brings a chill to my spine (from my younger days) as did the sound of her voice coming over the McDonald's drive-up window intercom.
View Quote

I think Linda is a US Marshal now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
It's my understanding she is retired from the USMS.  She has family still in the Area but she lives in New Mexico.  kwg
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top