Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/16/2014 6:14:38 PM EDT

Controlled Chaos Arms? and Nightlong Industries LLC? will be hosting The Great Iowa Long Range and Night Vision Open House on August 23rd from 6PM-Midnight. It will be held at the Brownells, Inc.? Big Springs Range Complex near Montezuma, Iowa.

Come out and learn about long range shooting from the pro's at CCA and check out the rifles they have built. Learn more about the various training opportunities they have throughout the year to help you become a better shooter. Send some rounds down range on the 500 yard range and enjoy their great builds.

Once the sun sets the Night Vision comes out as Nightlong Industries demonstrates the latest in helmet, mounts, Monoculars, Binoculars and Weapon Mounted Night Vision. Test them all out for yourself and shoot some rifles with Clip-On Night Vision.

The event is free to attend but there will be a $20 range fee if you choose to fire.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  Looks like the date got pushed back a bit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice.  Looks like the date got pushed back a bit.
View Quote

It did but I can assure you that it will be well worth the wait!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want to come and play.
View Quote

I'll talk to your parole officer and we can go from there bro!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
What type of tigers will be on site?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What type of tigers will be on site?
View Quote

Wild Tigers of the Middle Eastern, highly caffeinated variety.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys I will be driving down from DSM, let me know if you want to ride along.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I want to go
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Who the fuck sets these dates up?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Crap, Ankeny 3-gun is the 24th... Any one down that way have someplace for me to crash for the night? Would save me 4 hrs of driving that I could turn in to sleep.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Guys I will be driving down from DSM, let me know if you want to ride along.
View Quote

I'll give you gas money if you can give me a lift.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:25:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't my brothers wedding is that day........
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Crap, Ankeny 3-gun is the 24th... Any one down that way have someplace for me to crash for the night? Would save me 4 hrs of driving that I could turn in to sleep.
View Quote

Shoot me a msg
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't worry about it he will get divorced and you can go to the next wedding
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in, but may be a tad late.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't have to be there the whole time, it's an Open House so feel free to come and go as you please! There will be quite a bit to see and do if you are interested in long range shooting or night vision equipment so plan accordingly.

Sunset is just after 8PM so true darkness won't start until close to 9PM. Those will truly be the best conditions to compare all of the different night vision devices in!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not they have been together for 6 years about damn time if you ask me. They are having a kid but they found out after he bent the knee
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You don't have to be there the whole time, it's an Open House so feel free to come and go as you please! There will be quite a bit to see and do if you are interested in long range shooting or night vision equipment so plan accordingly.

Sunset is just after 8PM so true darkness won't start until close to 9PM. Those will truly be the best conditions to compare all of the different night vision devices in!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What will the long range portion of the open house consist of?  I would like to look through some high end glass if that was available.  I'm just curious what the really high end glass looks like.  I don't need to touch it or fire a gun just get a cheek weld and good eye position to take a look.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What will the long range portion of the open house consist of?  I would like to look through some high end glass if that was available.  I'm just curious what the really high end glass looks like.  I don't need to touch it or fire a gun just get a cheek weld and good eye position to take a look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you not take advantage of the opportunity to hit plates at 500 yards?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Do I need to bring an assortment of ammo...?  I wanna shoot  ...or is the ammo included in the $20 fee?

Will there be thermal to play with as well?  Any chance to shoot some warmed up AR500 targets?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just didn't want to shoot someone else's gun and use up their ammo.  I have my own gun with an swfa ss scope I can shoot.  I'm just curious what all the talk is about with the high end glass because I've never owned one and don't know anyone personally that has anything like that.  Looking through it and maybe having the owner explain a little about the scope what they like/dislike about it is all I want.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak for Septic and the rifles/optics he will be bringing but I will have the following mid to high end optics there:

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32mm FFP (16" Recce AR)
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP (LaRue PredatAR 18" 5.56)
Vortex Razor 5-20x50mm EBR-2B (.308 AR build)
Schmidt and Bender 5-25 PM II (.300 Win Mag in AI AX Chassis)
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do I need to bring an assortment of ammo...?  I wanna shoot  ...or is the ammo included in the $20 fee?

Will there be thermal to play with as well?  Any chance to shoot some warmed up AR500 targets?
View Quote

Most of the night shooting will be .223, some .308. During the day will be most likely 6.5 Creedmor, 6.5 Grendel, .308 Win and my .300 Win mag

That same thermal will be there that you shot last time, I have a thermal target method that works pretty well actually...
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Check out Ryan with the big brain.   I am gonna bring my 13.7 ar and see how well clip ons work with the acog so I can shoot coyotes in their smug faces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the night shooting will be .223, some .308. During the day will be most likely 6.5 Creedmor, 6.5 Grendel, .308 Win and my .300 Win mag

That same thermal will be there that you shot last time, I have a thermal target method that works pretty well actually...

Check out Ryan with the big brain.   I am gonna bring my 13.7 ar and see how well clip ons work with the acog so I can shoot coyotes in their smug faces.

We shall call you Roadrunner and you shall outwit all those smug little bastards...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Is this something we can bring our own guns to?  I would really like to try my own rifle out at that range.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is this something we can bring our own guns to?  I would really like to try my own rifle out at that range.
View Quote

yup.  of course the range fee applies, but you can bring your own goodies.  no problem.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would especially recommend bringing your own gear if you would like to see how YOUR setup would work with a Clip-On Night Vision Device. I can't guarantee that you will be able to shoot it at night but just seeing how your rifle and optics works with a clip-on can be a very good experience. I buy and build my setups a little different now that I do lots of Night Vision shooting to allow for the best all around package.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#30]
If you guys are planning on coming please RSVP here: Nightlong Industries Facebook Event

We look forward to seeing you guys out there and please feel free to ask any questions about the event here on the forum!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:49:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#32]
if you folks are coming and going to participate, we'd love to have you RSVP.  we're getting some pretty big numbers and we want to be able to manage this thing well.  so having an accurate headcount will help us.

the RSVP is set up on Nightlong's FB page.  if you can't hit that, then send an email to ryan or myself through our websites and we'll keep the talley.  an "i'm in" on threads on a dozen sites can be tough to calculate.  

thanks!

-michael
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I would love to say "I'm in" but after my own personal cluster that happened during the IHTF 3 gun event I don't want to make myself look like a complete ass hat. For now I think I'll keep it on my radar and once closer I will RSVP if I can. Sounds like a great chance to try out NV.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would love to say "I'm in" but after my own personal cluster that happened during the IHTF 3 gun event I don't want to make myself look like a complete ass hat. For now I think I'll keep it on my radar and once closer I will RSVP if I can. Sounds like a great chance to try out NV.
View Quote

Don't worry about any of that! This is an open house event for people to come out and see some great rifles , learn about some good training and test out all kinds of different quality gear. There is no competition to it nor any obligation to shoot.

Have you wanted to get into long range shooting? Come see some great setups and compare optics, learn more from some really smart guys and hear about the training CCA has to offer.

Interested in checking out night vision? Come out and get some hands on time with a variety of different devices, from monoculars to binoculars and clip on night vision.

Want to hang out with some ARFCOMMERS? Come out and talk to people, see what they bring, talk guns and enjoy your evening hanging out with other shooting sport enthusiasts!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Don't worry about any of that! This is an open house event for people to come out and see some great rifles , learn about some good training and test out all kinds of different quality gear. There is no competition to it nor any obligation to shoot.

Have you wanted to get into long range shooting? Come see some great setups and compare optics, learn more from some really smart guys and hear about the training CCA has to offer.

Interested in checking out night vision? Come out and get some hands on time with a variety of different devices, from monoculars to binoculars and clip on night vision.

Want to hang out with some ARFCOMMERS? Come out and talk to people, see what they bring, talk guns and enjoy your evening hanging out with other shooting sport enthusiasts!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no kidding...  this is a 'meet and greet' event.  no knowledge of the items is necessary.  you can pull up a lawn chair and watch and listen for that matter.

don't feel like you have to be proficient with any of this to participate.  the event is primarily focused on those folks who aren't up to speed.  

we'll see you there!

-michael
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Me checking out all the gear...
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#38]
more and more folks are getting in on this.

don't be the lazy dick who doesn't show up and then says "i shoulda went"
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:44:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I was just at the searsboro range last night testing a new load.  What a great facility and the RSO was a great guy.  I was the only one shooting at the 500 yard range.  I told the RSO I was testing a new load and wanted to confirm my range card I created for it so I would like to start at 300 yards and then move out to 500.  He said no problem and even drove down and set up my target for me so I didn't have to walk.  I shot a 5 round group at 300 yards had 4 rounds within an inch and a half, but a flyer opened the group up to about 3".  My range card I created was one mil off in elevation.  I then moved out to 500 yards and he drove me down to the firing line.  After that he asked if I would like to shoot steel.  I said sure I've never shot steel before and was actually in the process of buying some for my regular shooting location.  So he drove me down and helped me set up a gong.  First shot I saw the gong wiggle through my scope and a second later ding!

I'm a lucky guy...I have a public range ten minutes from my house...brownells range 30 minutes from my house...and my long range spot 15 minutes from my house in the other direction.  It was nice to test a load without having to walk through weeds as tall as I am and over and down hills to set up a target and back and forth between my shooting location and target to check it.

I think I may come out to this event, but leave when it comes to the night vision stuff.  I think it's super cool, but out of my price range and I also would never be able to use it or have a need for it as a civilian.  White light is quick and works for me in my home.  I'm all about the long range stuff though
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I would add that when we setup there was a 7 mph wind from the north west, but inside the range with the berms on 3 sides I saw zero effect from the wind on my bullets.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Only two weeks to go, RSVP here is you are planning on coming: The Great Iowa Long Range and Night Vision Open House Facebook Event

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I just might have to come out.
I've finally got a good 168 gr HPBT load for my savage model 10 FPSR and I've been dying to try it further than 200 yards away!
I could probably whip up a range card real quick and be ready.

I'm a little scared of looking through gen 3 night vision, I don't want to have to "need" it.
I work third shift (out of preferance) and that's my night off.
it's like you guys set this up just for me... um... thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Do it... you will enjoy it!

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Man I cant wait to get together and do some cool stuff not available to many of us. Thanks to the Avilas for providing a great site where local people can get together and organize events to learn and do cool things, like shooting at night with awesome sights.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#46]
This is a pretty awesome event. Wish I could be there, but I close on my house and have a meeting in IL all on that same day. Fun!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is a pretty awesome event. Wish I could be there, but I close on my house and have a meeting in IL all on that same day. Fun!
View Quote

home owner huh?  i reckon iowa has grown on you then huh?

glad to hear it sam!  we'll catch you at the next one if folks want to participate another time after this one.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone in Des Moines want to car pool out to this?

I drive a Ford Ranger, so I can take 1 passenger, if someone else wants to drive that has more seats, I'll throw in gas money.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I plan on going from DSM I got room for 4 in my tundra
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I plan on going from DSM I got room for 4 in my tundra
View Quote

If we get more than you and me heading out from Des Moines, save me a passenger spot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top