Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2014 8:12:18 PM EDT
I am looking for something to normally be plugged in around the house, but that is easy to throw into a bag for when I'm on the road or camping.

I don't care for attached flashlights or being able to communicate.  I just want to be woken up when the tornado is supposed to be on its way and be able to know when enough of the nasty has gone by that I can go back upstairs and go back to sleep or leave the park's restroom and return to the tent.

Solar or crank rechargers would be nice, but they are a tangential priority because 99% of the time it will be plugged in next to my bed, with the radio off.

Something like this seems to be what I am looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-HH54VP2-Portable-Emergency-Weather/dp/B003FGWF04

So, are any of you extensively familiar with this type of product?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I had that model Midland and it was a POS. The battery didnt take charge after only a couple months and it gave an error. That is my experience and they might otherwise be OK?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Baofeng radio picks up noaa weather freq
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a an Oregon Scientific SAME radio picked up at Target 10 years ago.

Highly recommended because of the alerting function.That isn't just a listen frequency - it is a wake you up when a warning is issued in your ZIP code.
Unless you are totally tuned into the weather threat 24x7, you're foolish not to have an alert radio in the house, especially the bed room.

The example I'd use is Parkersburg-new Hartford EF-5 tornado in May 2008. It was obvious tornado weather and even with a 20-minute warning, too many people were surprised. The death toll of 8 people was a mix of luck and smart Iowans.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had that model Midland and it was a POS. The battery didnt take charge after only a couple months and it gave an error. That is my experience and they might otherwise be OK?
View Quote

Thanks.  What are you using in its place?

I thought that it took 3 AA batteries.  Am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Highly recommended because of the alerting function.That isn't just a listen frequency - it is a wake you up when a warning is issued in your ZIP code.
Unless you are totally tuned into the weather threat 24x7, you're foolish not to have an alert radio in the house, especially the bed room.

The example I'd use is Parkersburg-new Hartford EF-5 tornado in May 2008. It was obvious tornado weather and even with a 20-minute warning, too many people were surprised. The death toll of 8 people was a mix of luck and smart Iowans.
View Quote

Which model do you have?  
Oregon Scientific WR-601

WR601N

In short, what does the "N" in the name denote?

The reviews mention it was hard to program.  Did you find this to be so?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The one I had too a rechargeable battery pack. It looked like three AAA;s shrink wrapped together. I now just use a cheap desktop model that the County had at a reduced price

I too am looking for a portable model to take camping and out doors
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing you might try would be to check with meterologists at a TV station to see what they might recommend.
The guys at KIMT in Mason City are more than happy to answer questions like this.
They also go around to Hy-Vees in the viewing area and sell and program weather radios frequently.
Also could check with your area Weather Service office to see if they have a recommendation.

And to throw out an answer you basically said you don't want, you could consider getting your ham radio license.
Another fun hobby into which you can sink untold amounts of currency.
Many handhelds and vehicle portables have weather alert monitoring.
I can attest to the fact that when you're driving down the road minding your own business and enjoying the view and the weather alert unexpectedly goes off full volume, it just about causes a "fouling" issue.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One thing you might try would be to check with meterologists at a TV station to see what they might recommend.
View Quote

Great idea.  This is exactly what I did. I will post up when I get a response.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
We use Marine band hand held radios as weather alert radios.. and if something were to happen, our families know what channel we all run on so it would double as emergency communication also, our cell phone coverage is spotty out here in the sticks and only gets worse in severe weather.  And so far they have proven to be pretty durable, they are dead simple to use.. they automatically pull in local weather channels.   We also use CB radios mounted in the vehicles that are WX-enabled.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We use Marine band hand held radios as weather alert radios.. and if something were to happen, our families know what channel we all run on so it would double as emergency communication also, our cell phone coverage is spotty out here in the sticks and only gets worse in severe weather.  And so far they have proven to be pretty durable, they are dead simple to use.. they automatically pull in local weather channels.   We also use CB radios mounted in the vehicles that are WX-enabled.
View Quote

What brand/model are you using?  Do they turn on to alert you so that you don't have to listen to them (ie. will they wake you up)?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Baofeng radio picks up noaa weather freq
View Quote

I am looking at the deals thread over in the Survival Gear forum.  I am trying to figure out whether it is worth figuring out Ham radios.  Which Baofeng do you have?  Can you set it to wake you up when those alerts go off?  What is your battery life when it is off the charger?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Which model do you have?  
Oregon Scientific WR-601

WR601N

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which model do you have?  
Oregon Scientific WR-601

WR601N

Mine is WR103N - it looks like the Scamazon WR601. I'd suspect the model numbers have changed more than a bit in a decade.
On programming, I don't recall it being an issue. Look up the SAME on web, program it, wait to go off.

One thing to remember is it was only in the last ten years or so that Iowa got all 99 counties covered with NWS transmitters. Based on the fact the transmitters are placed on leased towers where space and limited funding allows, don't put too much stock in them working in a hollow or in much of NE Iowa. Mine works well on the second floor of a new house in a flat area.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The local meteorologist I contacted emailed back and said he uses the above Midland and gets "several days" of battery life while off charger.  IA Jack, I'm hoping you just got one at the low end of the spectrum.  I have read negative comments about battery life in reviews, so my guess is that there just isn't one out there that goes for as long as people who buy portables would like them to.

Low50s, you made me peek into the rabbit hole that Ham seems to be.  I see a license for myself and my wife, as well as a couple of handhelds in my not too distant future.  I think you are pretty cool.  She doesn't.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]
The entry level (Technician) Ham exam is pretty easy.
The question pools for each of the levels (Tech, General, & Extra) is available online.
The exams are not actually administered by the FCC, but by the ARRL; actually, there are 2 or 3 or 4 organizations that do them, but ARRL is most common.
They change the question pool every 4 years and rotate which tests change each year.
The FCC does not set the price for taking the test, but currently recommends that clubs charge no more than $15.
Most will charge you that much; some may not.
Some (large) clubs may give them for free.
For the price, you can take as many tests as you can pass.
By this I mean if you take the tech and pass you can then take the general for no additional cost and if you pass that you can try the extra.

You can find classes here.

Exam dates, times, & locations here-

Tech questions that go into effect on July 1st.
The correct answer is in parenthesis after the question number, ie, Question T1B02 (A).

Graphics for those questions.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks.

I had a pretty good time reading through threads in the Ham Radios forum last night.  After reading until full of the tacked threads, I found a link to flashcards that ate up much more time than I initially thought I'd spend at the computer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What brand/model are you using?  Do they turn on to alert you so that you don't have to listen to them (ie. will they wake you up)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wife's is a cheapo Midland Nautico 3, mine is a Uniden.. both can be set for WX alerts, but the switch has to be "on" to receive, that's the biggest crutch, though mine will last four days or more with the switch on and the radio in "low power" mode if I'm not talking on it a lot.. and it lasts about two days if I am talking on it a lot.  Both have cigarette lighter plugs so they can be recharged easily, we take an automotive jump box with us that has a cigarette lighter plug built-in, so we can charge things and jump a vehicle if needs be.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks.
I had a pretty good time reading through threads in the Ham Radios forum last night.  After reading until full of the tacked threads, I found a link to flashcards that ate up much more time than I initially thought I'd spend at the computer.
View Quote

There are a lot of on-line places to study and you'll get all kinds of recommendations.
My person recommendation is hamtestonline.com.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#18]
What did you ever end up with here?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#19]
After hearing back from the local meteorologist I purchased the one in my first post since that is what he used.  It has worked well around the house and has been fine in its limited time off of the charger - like when I head out to hunt in the morning and want to know wind/sunrise/precipitation info. while in route.

I also earned a general license for ham radio and picked up a Baofeng UV5R radio.  I like it because, while it doesn't have the SAME alerts, it allows me to both check the weather and tune into DMPD dispatch when they are on holiday in my neighborhood.  So far, this has happened about four times - last Saturday being the most recent.

Also, the batteries for the Baofeng are easily replaceable/changed out, and I can use the rechargeables for my predator calls/game cameras in it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Zero to general, nice.
Do you check into any of the weekly nets in the DM area?
Used to be one I checked into via linked repeaters, but the link is and has been down for like a year now, so no more.
I get the feeling that there are quite a few people in the area willing to help people out if you have questions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't do much with the license simply because I don't have/take the time.  As my wife says, I already have enough hobbies.  I have a feeling that HF could easily cost me some significant money if I looked at it too closely.  At the end of the day, the license works for my purposes, which are being able to transmit legally should I be so inclined.

I do lurk in the ham forum here, and they seem like a pretty good group of guys.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Took and passed my ham test last week, still waiting on my call sign.  My dad is setting up 3 repeaters in the north central Iowa area.  One is sort of up and running on 443.750mhz.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After hearing back from the local meteorologist I purchased the one in my first post since that is what he used.  It has worked well around the house and has been fine in its limited time off of the charger - like when I head out to hunt in the morning and want to know wind/sunrise/precipitation info. while in route.

I also earned a general license for ham radio and picked up a Baofeng UV5R radio.  I like it because, while it doesn't have the SAME alerts, it allows me to both check the weather and tune into DMPD dispatch when they are on holiday in my neighborhood.  So far, this has happened about four times - last Saturday being the most recent.

Also, the batteries for the Baofeng are easily replaceable/changed out, and I can use the rechargeables for my predator calls/game cameras in it.

View Quote

Did you buy programming cable?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Chirp is pretty user friendly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you program mine? I just listen no license here but I try to listen I'm in DSM also. I don't have a computer so I never bought cable
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Found a link to the group my dad is part of and well I guess I will be too.  They are looking for more people to join the group and attend the meetings etc.  They do a check in on Sunday nights at 8:30 on 444.325 mhz.

Iowa Warn
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Can you program mine? I just listen no license here but I try to listen I'm in DSM also. I don't have a computer so I never bought cable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know which frequencies you want programmed in?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Idk I don't have any In mind just listen to local pd I don't know if I have tone set right
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]
email me your phone number and we'll set something up after next week.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top