Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2014 12:49:42 PM EDT
The wife and I went out this morning to go shooting and the park was absolutely teeming with gnats and mosquitoes. While some bug spray will generally keep the majority of the mosquitoes away the gnats just swarm and swarm. I probably had a good portion of my days protein intake from inhaling the little bastards.

Any tips/tricks/ideas for bugs in general but especially gnats?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard dryer sheets but never tested
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
For the gnats, Tea Tree Oil dabbed around the face, neck, and ears works real good! You can get it at WalMart in the vitamin and mineral aisle. Also Lemon Grass (aka Citronella) Oil works great used the same way, if you can find it. Don't confuse with the lamp type oil!

I was amazed at the results, but you'll need to reapply after a couple of hours.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Fire, lots of fire will usually do the trick
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Another method that I'm trying out again today is Vanilla. I previously tried it using the imitation Vanilla and got mediocre results. Not a great success by any means.........

Today, doing some web searching, I came across a simple Vanilla recipe. It said to add 1ablespoon of Vanilla to a cup of water put into a spray bottle. I tried this using 2 tablespoons of pure Vanilla to a cup of water in the spray bottle. So far it seems to work great! Maybe the difference is in using pure Vanilla instead of the imitation? I put the pump sprayer on the finest mist setting, and gave myself a good coating. Didn't have 1 gnat bother me in an hour! Vanilla smells a bit better too!
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Might sound strange but we use Absorbine jr to keep the gnats away. Works really well,just keep it out of your eyes
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you looked into a jam boy? I read the british used to have an Indian boy march with them covered in jam so all the bugs attacked him. Might still be able to buy one in africa for golf. Jeremy Clarkson on top gear used a stuffed teddy bear.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the cheapest bottle of green mouthwash you can and spray it around the area.

If I have time I get a plug or pouch of chewing tobacco. I put it in a cloth pouch and boil it in so e water and then add that to the mix.

This combo,makes the little bastards disappear.

Also a bat house is a good thing too if you are allowed to.put one up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
To put on you there is supposed to be some spray that makes you invisible to them? I always found the highest concentrate of Deet I can get?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I've tried the dryer sheets and the vanilla with little to no difference to show for it. Haven't tried the citronella or mouthwash/tobacco idea. If it was my own land I'd burn every last inch of grass I could, but unfortunately that's not an option nor is the jam boy, unless someone here wants to volunteer.

We have a bottle of nearly 100% deet and it works for most thing, but the gnats just won't go away, almost need a bee keeper helmet to shoot without them getting in your face.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Back in the day when Muskol was 100% deet I got some on my lips.
They swelled up HUGE.
Couldn't even close them.
'Twas goofy looking.
I know they say that a block of dry ice placed off a bit will attract mosquitos going after the CO2; not sure if it would work with gnats or not, but you might try it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always just doused myself in Repel 100 (100% deet).

When not shooting and just camping I've found that consuming fair amounts of whiskey, especially around a fire, makes them go away.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another method that I'm trying out again today is Vanilla. I previously tried it using the imitation Vanilla and got mediocre results. Not a great success by any means.........

Today, doing some web searching, I came across a simple Vanilla recipe. It said to add 1ablespoon of Vanilla to a cup of water put into a spray bottle. I tried this using 2 tablespoons of pure Vanilla to a cup of water in the spray bottle. So far it seems to work great! Maybe the difference is in using pure Vanilla instead of the imitation? I put the pump sprayer on the finest mist setting, and gave myself a good coating. Didn't have 1 gnat bother me in an hour! Vanilla smells a bit better too!
View Quote

It is the pure you want. Imitation doesn't do squat. The pure by itself should work pretty well. Just dab some here and there. That was how we did it many years ago when I was younger.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Bug Soother, brand name gnat repellent. Casey's around here, SE, sell it in pump spray bottles.

I have found nothing better. Made in Columbus Junction, IA.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Any idea, from the label, what's in it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Dettol!! Its antiseptic made in the UK.  One dab behind each ear is all you need to keep the bugs away.  Dettol
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Might sound strange but we use Absorbine jr to keep the gnats away. Works really well,just keep it out of your eyes
View Quote

I have found this works the best they also sell something made local called bug soother it works and smells good but you have to keep putting it on
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any idea, from the label, what's in Bug Soother?
View Quote

Lemongrass oil, vanilla, and lemon for the repellant, plus water, castor oil, lechithin, and tocopheryl acetate.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a nagging woman u could use as a "jam boy"
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bug Soother, brand name gnat repellent. Casey's around here, SE, sell it in pump spray bottles.

View Quote

This stuff works very well on these fucking gnats. And it smells great.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have heard dryer sheets but never tested
View Quote

They work!

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Absorbine Jr. or Dettol.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for dettol
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I've heard rumors of the old cajuns down south swallowing a tablespoon of diesel...YMMV
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Cedarcide.

This is all I've been using for flea/tick control on my dogs for over 4 years. Haven't had any issues. Also works great on me when I take them out to the park or hiking.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:31:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Cedar oil is a great natural bug repellent, we use it in our BnB and around the house. It smell good to, its a little pricey for the pure stuff.  
Quoted:
The wife and I went out this morning to go shooting and the park was absolutely teeming with gnats and mosquitoes. While some bug spray will generally keep the majority of the mosquitoes away the gnats just swarm and swarm. I probably had a good portion of my days protein intake from inhaling the little bastards.

Any tips/tricks/ideas for bugs in general but especially gnats?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#27]
We managed to find some bug soother at a local hyvee. Bought some and only got to use it outside the house a bit, but it seemed to drive them away pretty well. Still haven't made it back out to the range.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#28]
repellant update:

Well we got bug soother and practically bathed in it this morning as soon as we got to the range and............. it didn't work worth squat

It seems to work well enough just in town with a few mosquitos here and there but my god I had dozens of the little bastards swarming every part of my body. I was itching and burning so bad from the bites after 10 minutes we just packed up and left. It is starting to really suck that we can't go out shooting and have an enjoyable day.

I'll have to try one of the other suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#29]
You could try one of those handheld propane powered bug foggers right before you shoot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Are you talking about Gnats or Mosquitoes? There's a big difference in the ways you repel the two. The stuff you tried usually works great for Gnats, and that was the subject of the original post. Mosquitoes are another thing altogether. The only things I've seen that work are Avon Skin So Soft sprayed on, bug repellent that contains lots of DEET, or one of  the Thermacell devices. The stuff that repels Gnats seems to attract Mosquitoes!

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're going to use a repellant, DEET or Avon Skin So Soft.  You can also use unscented bar soap and unscented deodorant the day of, it helps more than you would think It does.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#32]
comparing the two at this point the gnats are a nuisance, but the mosquitoes were beyond bearable.

I'll give the skin-so-soft a try if I can find it. I've never heard of a hand held propane fogger so that's an interesting idea.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Wally World has the Thermacell hand unit in the camping section. It's worth every penny, and if you get one, get the refills as well.

The regular repellents with DEET are in the same section. As I mentioned, we've had good luck with them too.

Working in the garden makes the true test for us as to how well the things work.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Not to late to build a flame thrower
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not to late to build a flame thrower
View Quote

If it was my land I'd probably cut down every tree for 50 yards and burn every last blade of grass up and down the berm. Alas I cannot.

I don't think my local walmart carries the thermacell units. We tried one of the small blue off ones that clip on your waste and they were a complete waste of time. Really wish the range wasn't in the woods.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#36]
You can get them online as well. I know the Sportsman's Guide carries them & the refills too...........

There's lots of other online retailers too...................

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#37]
yeah I know, and I don't have a problem buying online, except when it does't work returns can be a hassle. I'll most likely buy from walmart so I can return it if it doesn't work.

The funnier part is my local walmart has the refills, carriers, and accessories, but they don't sell the actual units themselves.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#38]
If they have the other stuff, they've likely sold out of the main units. Ask a clerk, sometimes they have them in more than one area in the store..................
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I'll be checking the 2nd walmart near me for them since it says they are in stock.

On a side note.... they had no thermacells but they did have 20 - 225rd packs of golden bullets. Bought my share.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like an honest store, not like the one around here. 22s seldom make it out to the case..............
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sounds like an honest store, not like the one around here. 22s seldom make it out to the case..............
View Quote

Yeah I think the guy that was doing it at that particular store got canned. Haven't seen him for months. Incidentally it is also the first time I've seen 22lr since..... so I may be on to something.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I see Menards also has the Thermacells and refills too!

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top