Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2017 11:08:03 AM EDT
I got into a convo with a guy at a party last night that has a .300 blackout pistol he made from an 80% lower. Overall length is well under 26". Anyway, he was carrying it concealed in a case in his car with a magazine inserted and a round in the chamber. When he showed it to me I asked how he registered it to be able to carry it under his CPL and he said he didn't have to due to the 80% lower. I told him I was pretty sure that if he was going to claim it as a concealed pistol it had to have serial numbers and be registered as such, and he disagreed. I admit I don't know 100%.......but I believe he's going to get loved tenderly if he ever gets stopped with it.

What are the laws in Michigan for building a pistol from an 80% lower and then carrying it concealed?? What do you have to do to legally be able to do this?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
He is in violation of the law..................period. If it's under 26" and has a stock it's a SBR which requires a federal tax stamp prior to assembly. Ten years in the federal pen and $10,000. Under Michigan law he has an unregistered pistol and that's only if it doesn't have a stock. Again SBR laws will kick in if it does.

Your friend is mistaken and wishful thinking does not the law make.

He is required to inform every Law Enforcement Officer that he is carrying concealed should he get pulled over. Failure to do so is a violation. 80% lowers, once completed into a firearm are firearms and all the laws regarding them remain on the books. That includes the obligation to register all handguns under Michigan Law.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't read anywhere in his post about this thing having a stock . . . so lets not make up our own facts here.  We're talking about a pistol. NOT an SBR.

I do agree that while 80% builds are completely fine at a Federal level, he is in violation of State law because MI requires pistol registration.  All he needs to do is add some sort of identifying marks to the lower, and send in an RI-060.  Now it is a registered pistol.

He may end up fighting with his local sheriff because they won't recognize the "manufacturer" or the "model". I would recommend stopping in and having a conversation about what ID marks will go through the system without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't read anywhere in his post about this thing having a stock . . . so lets not make up our own facts here.  We're talking about a pistol. NOT an SBR.

I do agree that while 80% builds are completely fine at a Federal level, he is in violation of State law because MI requires pistol registration.  All he needs to do is add some sort of identifying marks to the lower, and send in an RI-060.  Now it is a registered pistol.

He may end up fighting with his local sheriff because they won't recognize the "manufacturer" or the "model". I would recommend stopping in and having a conversation about what ID marks will go through the system without a hiccup.
View Quote
Yes, definitely not an SBR. He's under 26" and built it out as a pistol. It has a pistol buffer on it without a stock.....just the buffer.

I agree with your premise that it has to be registered, which is why I was trying to get him to look into it a little more. I don't want him to get in legal trouble if he gets stopped with it, but I also don't know 100% what the laws are regarding 80% lower builds into pistols. My reasoning in saying it's a no go is that he is required to carry a lawfully registered pistol as part of his CPL......and the 80% lower build has never been registered.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Like others have said, 80% lowers built into a pistol configuration (no buttstock) still require registration as a pistol, whether concealed or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top