Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2017 8:45:54 AM EDT
They just built a new one in Lansing, not sure it that one is on the blocks or not.  I've only seen a short list of closures, 25-30 none in MI but I've here that are at least 100 more.  Not that I remotely like GM, but if there are deals to be had, I might stop in one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The one in Kalamazoo/Portage has signs up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Just got this email a few minutes ago, so all GMs are gone I guess.  Even at "up to" 30% off, they are still over priced...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just got this email a few minutes ago, so all GMs are gone I guess.  Even at "up to" 30% off, they are still over priced...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/153483/Gander-Mountain-eBlast2e-02-206765.JPG
View Quote
It sounds like that may not be the complete case...

http://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index.ssf/2017/05/some_gander_mountain_stores_in.html
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The one in Kalamazoo/Portage has signs up.
View Quote
Yep, although their prices have always been inflated.

D&R Sports on Westmain has always done well for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#5]
With the prices they charge I am surprised anyone goes there. I did get really good deals there years ago, but that was years ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Last time I checked they are closing ALL the stores.

And will reopen 16 in the entire US.  They will be flagged under the camping world ownership so they most likely will not have any firearms.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Last time I checked they are closing ALL the stores.

And will reopen 16 in the entire US.  They will be flagged under the camping world ownership so they most likely will not have any firearms.
View Quote
Nope

https://bearingarms.com/beth-b/2017/05/10/gander-mtn-bankruptcy/

Keeping at least 70
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
So the number is higher at least now.   Says they may keep more.   Still closing the majority.

Either way I am not excited for the sports athority 2.0 to come.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I stopped in the one in Lansing, you know the new one they just built from scratch, a lot of stuff at 5-10% off, a few at 20% and only outerwear was 30% off.   Firearms were only 5% off.  Even at the liquidation prices, everything was at or at a higher price than most anywhere else.  As posted above, I'm not looking forward to what the sporting goods retailers of the future will look like for us.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I was at the Novi store, last Saturday. The discounts hadn't gotten to the gun counter, yet, but everything was roughly 5-10% off their normally high prices. There were a lot of people in there looking, but very few people buying.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Most up to date thing I have seen yet.
Link
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I was listening the Wild Michigan on the radio this weekend and Duran Martinez stated that the Lansing store will remain open.  Who really knows at this point?  I got from the article referenced above this post that nothing is set in stone at this time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a friend who works there and he says the Flint and Saginaw stores will remain open.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a friend who works there and he says the Flint and Saginaw stores will remain open.
View Quote
Big Going out of business sign on the Flint store.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Lansing store has a going out of business sign, but the rumor is it is going to remain open. I think it is going to become a Camping World. I'm not sure if Gander Mountain will exist anymore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I was just down by Knoxville. Same crap. Minimal discounts on jacked up prices. On top of it, no employees to ask anything and one cashier that was not in any hurry to do anything. I dropped the soft plastic fishing lures I was going to buy and left. I'm not sure I've ever purchased anything from GM so I sure won't miss them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Stopped by the 44th street mountain in GR friday. Nothing stuck out to me. Prices were still higher than everywhere else even with the sale.

ETA. I loved the "We are hiring" sign plastered in the entrance with the "store closing" banners right behind it. Would have been a perfect picture if i thought of it at the time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Stopped by the Portage one this morning just to see if anything had actually gone to sale prices yet...they haven't.  Still 15% higher than anywhere else.  Maybe they will close out some ammo soon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Stopped by the Portage one this morning just to see if anything had actually gone to sale prices yet...they haven't.  Still 15% higher than anywhere else.  Maybe they will close out some ammo soon.
View Quote
I went yesterday as well and nothing is worth the price tag.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I read Marcus Lemonis's explanation of what is going to happen. All of the inventory at all of the stores is being "liquidated". He said that there will be at least 70 of the most profitable stores left open, but they are going to be changing their identity. There is a separate company handling the liquidation of the merchandise, and they are going to try and renegotiate the leases with the landlords. To me, it sounds like he just bought the name, and is going to merge Camping World, Overton's and Gander Mountain under a single banner.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I swung into the Novi store today to see if there were any deals to be had.

If you're in the market for $40 Glock 19 mags, they've got you covered.

As stated before, everything was still overpriced, even after the discounts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top