Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2017 5:55:01 AM EDT
I recently bought a pistol which ended up being defective. This pistol was purchased through my "local" FFL (about 50 miles away), and I of course filled out an RI-60 as part of that transaction. After discovering the pistol's defect, I contacted the pistol's manufacturer. I was told that since they cannot fix the problem, they will ship me a replacement pistol, which will obviously have a different serial number. The manufacturer tells me that a replacement pistol can be sent directly to me, rather than needing to transfer through an FFL. This is probably true for Federal Law, but I don't know if it's true for Michigan Law, due to our required pistol registration.

This brings me to my question:
IF I have the manufacturer ship a replacement pistol to my house, what would I then do about filling out a new RI-60? Specifically, what would I fill in for the "Seller Information" section? The only subsection that I could see being a problem is that of the "Seller's Signature". The "Seller's FFL Number" I can most likely obtain from the manufacturer. In addition, since I have a CPL, the NICS subsection is left blank.

On a potentially related note, I once registered a Remington 870 as a "Michigan Pistol" prior to adding a folding stock, which reduced its overall length to less than 30". For that RI-60, my local Sheriff's Office instructed me to write my name and information on the form as BOTH buyer and seller. Who knows, maybe doing that would work for the replacement pistol scenario as well? I really have no idea...

I'm kind of at a loss here as far as how to proceed. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, please let me know.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
When I had a defective pistol replaced I had it shipped through the FFL.    Since it replaced the pistol that I bought from that same FFL they transferred it to me without hitting me with an additional transfer fee.    Now getting the old pistol out of my name was another adventure.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in this situation currently.

Sent the defective pistol back tot he manufacturer, they're sending the new 1 to the dealer.

Said they can't send it directly to me, due to the new serial #.  New 1 is due tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I recently bought a pistol which ended up being defective. This pistol was purchased through my "local" FFL (about 50 miles away), and I of course filled out an RI-60 as part of that transaction. After discovering the pistol's defect, I contacted the pistol's manufacturer. I was told that since they cannot fix the problem, they will ship me a replacement pistol, which will obviously have a different serial number. The manufacturer tells me that a replacement pistol can be sent directly to me, rather than needing to transfer through an FFL. This is probably true for Federal Law, but I don't know if it's true for Michigan Law, due to our required pistol registration.

This brings me to my question:
IF I have the manufacturer ship a replacement pistol to my house, what would I then do about filling out a new RI-60? Specifically, what would I fill in for the "Seller Information" section? The only subsection that I could see being a problem is that of the "Seller's Signature". The "Seller's FFL Number" I can most likely obtain from the manufacturer. In addition, since I have a CPL, the NICS subsection is left blank.

On a potentially related note, I once registered a Remington 870 as a "Michigan Pistol" prior to adding a folding stock, which reduced its overall length to less than 30". For that RI-60, my local Sheriff's Office instructed me to write my name and information on the form as BOTH buyer and seller. Who knows, maybe doing that would work for the replacement pistol scenario as well? I really have no idea...

I'm kind of at a loss here as far as how to proceed. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, please let me know.
View Quote

You will just fill out a new RI60 with you being both the buyer and seller along with your CPL number.  Keep copy of old registration along with repair form (mfg will send most likely a atf form along with the shipment for proof of legit transfer).. keep all that stapled together for your own record.

As for your shotgun comment, the law is now 26", not 30", keep that in mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top