Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 4:48:22 PM EDT
Hello, a couple of months ago I posted about the wife and I moving back to MI. As the move comes closer I have a few questions I'm hoping you fine folks can help me out with, almost all dealing with the Handgun Registration requirement.

I do own several handguns and as a former service member I see that I have 30 days after I move back to MI to obtain a license for the pistol. So here are some questions:

1) Do I need to fill out some form that lists all of the handguns I own and have that turned into the State? Or is getting the MI CPL a "catch all" that bypasses an individual handgun & just tells the state "this guy is good to go to own handguns and can carry concealed."??

I do plan on getting my CPL shortly after we make the move, but at the moment we are still trying to figure out where exactly we are going to move to because I know the CPL has to filed for in that particular County.  

2) I'm considering selling one or two of the handguns I currently own, is it a painful process to sell/trade a handgun in MI? In other words, is it my responsibility as the "former owner" to inform the State I no longer own a handgun that was previously registered in my name regardless if I make that transaction through an FFL or not (If I were to ship the handgun from MI to say Florida)?

What I really want to know is should I just sell these handguns while I'm in AL in order to avoid a bunch of paperwork?

Thanks a head of time for your responses.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
1) yes, I had to get all of mine done when I retired and moved back

2) sell them now, otherwise you will have to register them, to them turn around and sell them, to someone with a purchase permit, and you will than have to take your copy of the paperwork to your local PD and file it to show that you legitimately sold it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Redleg, thanks for the input, really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a Alabama CPL?

I'm asking because I believe you can buy handguns in States that don't have registration requirements on their CPL, and own them here without having to also register them here.
I am not a lawyer and MI gun laws are overly complicated, but I'm quite sure I read a thread on the MGO Forums about someone being able to (legally) do this with a Arizona CPL.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2) sell them now, otherwise you will have to register them, to them turn around and sell them, to someone with a purchase permit, and you will than have to take your copy of the paperwork to your local PD and file it to show that you legitimately sold it.
View Quote

I've never heard this before.

I would say it's a good idea to hang on to your copy of the RI-060 when you sell, JIC.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm asking because I believe you can buy handguns in States that don't have registration requirements on their CPL, and own them here without having to also register them here.
I am not a lawyer and MI gun laws are overly complicated, but I'm quite sure I read a thread on the MGO Forums about someone being able to (legally) do this with a Arizona CPL.
View Quote

Another 1 I've never heard of.

OP, you'll have to fill out, and turn in, a purchase permit for each pistol.

In this case, you'll keep both sellers and buyers copies, for at least 30 days.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, tread carefully in this thread. Both Redleg and sca have some incorrect information in their posts.

First, I always like to point out that CCW is MI is carrying a concealed weapon and is a criminal charge. CPL is the concealed pistol license. Just to keep things clear around here.

Quoted:

View Quote
Ignore #2. The part in red is not true.

Quoted:

View Quote
Totally ignore this part. All pistols must be registered.

Now that we've debunked some false information, let's get you off on the right track with actual legal citations and links to forms.

MCL Chapter 28, Act 372 of 1927 contains laws relating to CPLs and pistol registration. It is the collection of laws related to things that are managed by the MSP.

MCL Chapter 750, Act 328 of 1931, Chapter XXXVII contains all of the firearms laws and their penalties.

The RI-60 form is what is used to register your pistols. You'll need one for each pistol. Without an MI CPL, you will need to visit your local PD and obtain a pistol purchase permit. While you're there for that, just fill out and turn in the RI-60s.

If you have an AL concealed pistol license, you may waive the 6-month residency requirement when you apply for an MI CPL according to MCL 28.425b:
Beginning December 1, 2015, if the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established, the county clerk shall waive the 6-month waiting period and the applicant may apply for a concealed pistol license at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm surely not trying to lead the OP astray, but here are 5 pages of light reading on the subject that I mentioned above;

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?358335-Received-AZ-Permit-Game-On&highlight=arizona+cpl+registration

MI has the 2nd highest paid State Legislature (after CA), and the messy firearm laws they give us are the best that they can do?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would say it's a good idea to hang on to your copy of the RI-060 when you sell, JIC.
View Quote

I've been told both, and honestly between the man on the street and the fucking mouth breather at the pd clerks office im not sure who's right,
If and when I ever sell one I'll drag it down there just to see if they really do need it or not.

As far as the cpl stuff goes, I have several out of state, ks, ga, wa, and none of themare good to bypass nics with here, nor are my retired Leona creds.

I love living here, but mi laws concerning pistols are a racist archaic asspain.

When I retired and moved back I went to the pd to register,,,, I mean "get saftey inspected" all of the fun stuff I had acquired while living out of state, and I thought the guy was going to stroke out trying to figure out what he was supposed to do
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, tread carefully in this thread. Both Redleg and sca have some incorrect information in their posts.

First, I always like to point out that CCW is MI is carrying a concealed weapon and is a criminal charge. CPL is the concealed pistol license. Just to keep things clear around here.

Now that we've debunked some false information, let's get you off on the right track with actual legal citations and links to forms.

MCL Chapter 28, Act 372 of 1927 contains laws relating to CPLs and pistol registration. It is the collection of laws related to things that are managed by the MSP.

MCL Chapter 750, Act 328 of 1931, Chapter XXXVII contains all of the firearms laws and their penalties.

The RI-60 form is what is used to register your pistols. You'll need one for each pistol. Without an MI CPL, you will need to visit your local PD and obtain a pistol purchase permit. While you're there for that, just fill out and turn in the RI-60s.

If you have an AL concealed pistol license, you may waive the 6-month residency requirement when you apply for an MI CPL according to MCL 28.425b:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beginning December 1, 2015, if the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established, the county clerk shall waive the 6-month waiting period and the applicant may apply for a concealed pistol license at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established.

Thanks brother man,
I'll take your word for it since it makes sense
The recent changes really hosed my 15 year old understanding of the pistol rules
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Gentleman, again thanks for the input, I originally called the MSP firearms division & the kind lady on the phone originally told me that I would have to send all of my firearms through an FFL here in AL to an FFL in MI...after I blurted out to her "you mean to tell me that I have to transfer handguns that I already legally own through FFL's in order to register them?!"

This caused her to put me on hold for ten minutes to tell me I need to check particular state laws between AL & MI and transport them in accordance to those state laws... needless to say all she did was confuse the shit out of me & then tell me something I already knew.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Rjbergen posted the info you are seeking.   As far as moving them here, I moved here and then I registered my handguns and took the CPL class.  Google RI-60 and you find the fill-able .pdf.  List yourself as the seller and buyer and turn them in to the clerk for your county, usually the Sheriff's office.  We have been making great progress on gun laws over the last 10 years so hopefully we can get this registration crap eliminated.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been told both, and honestly between the man on the street and the fucking mouth breather at the pd clerks office im not sure who's right,
If and when I ever sell one I'll drag it down there just to see if they really do need it or not.

As far as the cpl stuff goes, I have several out of state, ks, ga, wa, and none of themare good to bypass nics with here, nor are my retired Leona creds.

I love living here, but mi laws concerning pistols are a racist archaic asspain.

When I retired and moved back I went to the pd to register,,,, I mean "get saftey inspected" all of the fun stuff I had acquired while living out of state, and I thought the guy was going to stroke out trying to figure out what he was supposed to do
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No argument there.  This shit is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rjbergen posted the info you are seeking.   As far as moving them here, I moved here and then I registered my handguns and took the CPL class.  Google RI-60 and you find the fill-able .pdf.  List yourself as the seller and buyer and turn them in to the clerk for your county, usually the Sheriff's office.  We have been making great progress on gun laws over the last 10 years so hopefully we can get this registration crap eliminated.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm surely not trying to lead the OP astray, but here are 5 pages of light reading on the subject that I mentioned above;

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?358335-Received-AZ-Permit-Game-On&highlight=arizona+cpl+registration

MI has the 2nd highest paid State Legislature (after CA), and the messy firearm laws they give us are the best that they can do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, that's a very interesting forum thread. IANAL, but IMHO, it is not a loophole and here's why. Tread carefully and test this at your own risk.

MCL 28.422 defines the pistol purchase permit and registration. For non-CPL holders, this is through the RI-011 Pistol Purchase Permit.

MCL 28.422a provides exemptions to MCL 28.422 for those licensed under MCL 28.425b (MI's CPL), but still requires registration through the RI-60 Pistol Registration.

The loophole starts with MCL 28.432 which says:
(1) Section 2 (This refers to MCL 28.422)does not apply to any of the following:
(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.
MCL 28.432 only provides exemption for MCL 28.422 (applicable to those without MI CPL) and not for MCL 28.422a (applicable to those with MI CPL).

MCL 28.432a states:
The requirements of this act for obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol do not apply to any of the following:
(h) A resident of another state who is licensed by that state to carry a concealed pistol.
This allows residents of other states to legally carry concealed in MI. It also indicates that MI does not recognize non-resident permits (those permits which are issued by a state other than that which you claim residency in) for carrying concealed in MI.

It is of my opinion that the "loophole" in MCL 28.432 is intended to allow non-residents to possess a pistol in MI if they hold a concealed carry permit from another state. Non-residents without a concealed carry permit are subject to MCL 28.422 subsection 9:
(9) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.
It is also my opinion that MCL 28.432 does not apply to MCL 28.422a which requires MI CPL holders to submit registration paperwork (RI-60).

Therefore, it is my conclusion that a MI resident who does not hold a MI CPL and holds a non-resident CPL from another state may possess pistols in MI that are not subject to registration. However, it is also my opinion that a MI CPL holder is always subject to registration per MCL 28.422a.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top