Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2017 8:43:54 AM EDT
http://fox17online.com/2017/02/06/2-armed-open-carry-advocates-arrested-inside-police-station/

DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) — Two men wearing body armor and carrying firearms and cameras have been arrested at a suburban Detroit police headquarters in a confrontation livestreamed on the internet.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#1]
"I WILL PUT A ROUND IN YOU SIR"

I like how polite the officer was lol
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
He should have done it. If anyone deserves the Darwin Award it would be those two idiots.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there anything illegal about carrying into the police station? It's absolutely stupid and the response they received was expected, but was it illegal prior to ignoring the officers' commands?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew that they would be from around Jackson.  They are lucky to not have gotten shot.   You show up dressed for a fight you had better be ready for the incoming fire.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there anything illegal about carrying into the police station? It's absolutely stupid and the response they received was expected, but was it illegal prior to ignoring the officers' commands?
View Quote
There is nothing illegal about walking around the East side of Detroit in black face but I'm not doing that either. 
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is nothing illegal about refusing to pull the ripcord on a parachute either. People who act in this manner have put their sanity in question and may in fact be legally insane and therefore prohibited from owning firearms. Their actions have intentionally put themselves in harms way, being "a danger to oneself"  and they have presented themselves as being "a danger to other people". They qualify as being insane under both definitions. Anti-social behavior is a form of insanity.

Nobody (I know) would have second guessed the police officers if they would have cut them down. This non-sense is not acceptable on any level, especially in the age of terrorism. Dearborn is home to the largest middle-eastern immigrant population in the USA. What the hell do you think the police felt when these jackasses showed up?

If it's not against the law, then we may need to look at legislation to make it so. Is that what you want? It's actions like these that drive anti-gun politics. It only takes a couple of nut jobs to get restrictive laws enacted. I would like to see the prosecutor put both of these men through a mandatory mental health evaluation prior to trial. Neither of them should own firearms from this day forward, they are obviously incapable of making good choices.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope I meet that dude some day so I can cunt punch him right in the junk. I don't want that assclown to ever speak for me as a gun owner like that again... there is a time, place, and way to open carry a weapon and that fucktard fucked up all three.

What if he had done that in a bank? Would a security guard have been justified in ventilating his ass?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What if he had done that in a bank? Would a security guard have been justified in ventilating his ass?
View Quote

Probably not, but I wouldn't convict him if I was on the jury. The morons would need CPLs to carry into a bank.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
were they charged with anything?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Three charges each, all misdemeanors. $1500 bail that they had someone create a go-fund-me page to help them get out. I'll donate money to keep them there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Three charges each, all misdemeanors. $1500 bail that they had someone create a go-fund-me page to help them get out. I'll donate money to keep them there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have any info on what the 3 charges are?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you have any info on what the 3 charges are?
View Quote

It seems like the charges were wearing a mask on public parade, refusing to obey police commands, creating a public panic or disorderly and obstructing or interfering in the booking process. Both men did not get the exact same charges. The exact charges used were hard to follow on the TV, but this basically sums it up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm all for open carry, but these two shit birds are fucking morons just looking for attention
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Should of smoked them as they walked through the door.

Morons.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is nothing illegal about refusing to pull the ripcord on a parachute either. People who act in this manner have put their sanity in question and may in fact be legally insane and therefore prohibited from owning firearms. Their actions have intentionally put themselves in harms way, being "a danger to oneself"  and they have presented themselves as being "a danger to other people". They qualify as being insane under both definitions. Anti-social behavior is a form of insanity.

Nobody (I know) would have second guessed the police officers if they would have cut them down. This non-sense is not acceptable on any level, especially in the age of terrorism. Dearborn is home to the largest middle-eastern immigrant population in the USA. What the hell do you think the police felt when these jackasses showed up?

If it's not against the law, then we may need to look at legislation to make it so. Is that what you want? It's actions like these that drive anti-gun politics. It only takes a couple of nut jobs to get restrictive laws enacted. I would like to see the prosecutor put both of these men through a mandatory mental health evaluation prior to trial. Neither of them should own firearms from this day forward, they are obviously incapable of making good choices.
View Quote

No!   Clearly they used bad judgement. What Police Officer would not pull a gun on them?    I think there is too many people already who think people who are Second Amendment Advocates are Knuckle Dragging Neanderthals.  I would hate to see some very arbitrary  and sliding scale standard of who can own or carry established.  Too many Governor Blageoviches  ( now a Federal Prisoner )who will sell you a permit for exercising their rights.  What they did was legal but very foolish.  

As much as I hate to say it we need to all stand together or they will come at us and chip away our rights piece meal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Should of smoked them as they walked through the door.

Morons.
View Quote

We arm chaired this one at work, we all came up with well articulated arguments on why lighting them up would have been a good and justified shoot.

Fucking idiots are lucky the guys in Dearborn were willing to give them the benefit of doubt upon first sight.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It seems like the charges were wearing a mask on public parade, refusing to obey police commands, creating a public panic or disorderly and obstructing or interfering in the booking process. Both men did not get the exact same charges. The exact charges used were hard to follow on the TV, but this basically sums it up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

More info on the incident
The attorney for two open carry advocates arrested this week at a Dearborn police station says his clients were ambushed by police officers who knew they were gun-toting activists and met them with weapons drawn.

"They wanted to teach them a lesson and that is not their job," said Nicholas Somberg, who is representing Brandon Vreeland, 40, of Jackson and James Baker, 24, of Leonard.

Baker and Vreeland commonly "audit" law enforcement authorities to determine whether they recognize citizens' rights to openly carry guns - there is no law prohibiting this.

Oh man, the lawyer is ridiculous with this one. He even likens this to Rosa Parks at the end of the article. I'm sure he will file a suit to sue the officers involved as well.

James Craig Baker, 24, of Leonard, MI, has been charged with breach of peace, masks/disguises while parading, and failure to cooperate during booking proceedings.

Brandon Brent Vreeland, 40, of Jackson, MI, has been charged with breach of peace, failure to obey police officer's direction or order, and resisting an officer's demands.

I doubt they'll be able to have any of the charges dropped.

These are what I have found as the applicable MCL citations for their charges. I think the only state statute they were charged with is the masks while parading and that only applies because they were also charged with breach of peace.
MCL 750.170
Disturbance of lawful meetings—Any person who shall make or excite any disturbance or contention in any tavern, store or grocery, manufacturing establishment or any other business place or in any street, lane, alley, highway, public building, grounds or park, or at any election or other public meeting where citizens are peaceably and lawfully assembled, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

MCL 750.396
A person who intentionally conceals his or her identity by wearing a mask or other device covering his or her face for the purpose of facilitating the commission of a crime is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.

MCL 750.81d
(1) Except as provided in subsections (2), (3), and (4), an individual who assaults, batters, wounds, resists, obstructs, opposes, or endangers a person who the individual knows or has reason to know is performing his or her duties is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.
This is the state resisting charge which they were not charged with.

It would appear that they were actually charged with violating Dearborn city ordinances and not MCL statutes.
Dearborn 14-38 Resisting police officer
(a) An individual who assaults, batters, wounds, resists, eludes or attempts to elude, obstructs, opposes, or endangers a person who the individual knows or has reason to know is performing his or her duties is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Dearborn 14-38.1 Failure to obey police officers' direction or order
Any individual who is given direction or order by hand, voice, emergency light, siren, or other visual or audible signal by a police officer acting in the lawful performance of his duty, and who willfully disobeys and/or disregards that direction or order, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Dearborn 14-38.2 Failure to cooperate with booking process
Any individual who has been arrested and who fails to cooperate during the booking process, is guilty of a misdemeanor. The "booking process" shall include, but is not limited to, request for identification, request for information, and fingerprinting photographing.

Dearborn 14-131 Breach of peace
Any person who shall make or assist in making any noise, disturbance, trouble or improper diversion, or any rout or riot, by which the peace and good order of the city are disturbed, shall be guilty of a breach of the peace, and disorderly conduct.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd charge them with being fucking stupid.  "auditing" the police
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Not siding with these guys,  but half of those charges are "We have nothing to charge them with" crap.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some videos on Youtube from Vreeland. He does this a lot,  but never to this extent.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not siding with these guys,  but half of those charges are "We have nothing to charge them with" crap.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some videos on Youtube from Vreeland. He does this a lot,  but never to this extent.
View Quote

Yea, Vreeland runs the Cop Block Jackson, MI channel I think. Whatever it is, I think the article mentioned it.

And yea, all of those charges were the type of "Hey rookie, we got nothing, but need to teach them a lesson! Go look through the book and find some charges for them. I think they breathed wrong while we were booking them..."

Not saying I agree with what they did, but the charges are haphazard.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Facing multiple felony counts

They are now facing felony charges, including carrying a concealed weapon, resisting arrest, and disturbing the peace.
View Quote

http://michiganradio.org/post/open-carry-activists-face-felony-charges-dearborn-police-station-incident
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Another article

“I for one, don’t think that for a group of relatively strange people to come into a city and get all armed-up and walk down a street is a projection of your Second Amendment rights – but rather, I think, it’s an intrusion onto the safety of a  community,” Police Chief Ronald Haddad told WWJ’s Zahra Huber.

Haddad says he’ll ask legislators to review and possibly amend Open Carry laws in Michigan.
View Quote

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/02/23/dearborn-police-chief-wants-review-of-michigan-open-carry-law/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top