Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2017 9:58:30 AM EDT
MI Gas and Plate Tax Increases

MI now the 5th highest in the Nation for gas tax. The kick in the balls is it wont even work to fix the roads. I'm sure there will be a few projects done but its gonna be the typical money shell game. This money goes here, then that money goes there, and this money go to me (or Detroit, Flint, Saginaw). They gotta cover the costs of the Flit water debacle some way. I'm sure we will see raises again for our elected officials.

"The state tax on unleaded gasoline will increase from 19 cents to 26.3 cents per gallon on New Year’s Day

Fees levied annually to register cars, vans, light trucks and commercial trucks will rise 20 percent. The average fee statewide is $120, so the average increase would be $24 to $144, said Secretary of State spokesman Fred Woodhams.

The complicated strategy — the result of a compromise plan the Republican-controlled Legislature and Snyder struck over a year ago — includes an eventual general fund revenue shift that promises to create budgeting challenges for future lawmakers. But the new taxes and fees are what will catch the immediate attention of drivers and businesses.

“It’s a reasonable increase that’s shared by those who drive more, pay more,” said state Sen. Wayne Schmidt, a Traverse City Republican who voted for the tax increases. “We’re going to see those dollars put into local roads.”

Transportation officials warn the higher taxes won’t translate into better roads for years to come because the Legislature is gradually diverting $600 million in income tax revenue from the state’s general fund to repairing roads. Michigan won’t be spending the full additional $1.2 billion annually on roads and bridges until 2021.
"

2021? By that time there will be some other crisis they will have to divert the money to.

Oh yea, don't forget, these increases will cause an increase in shipping costs which will translate to increase cost at the cash register. Companies wont eat this increase, they will pass it on to us. Which in turn also generates increases sales tax, which will go God knows where.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Wish I could say "Amen", but this isn't finished by any means
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#2]
My 2015 Winter property tax bill (due Feb, 2017) already went up which I believe is to pay for the DPS rescue deal that was worked out in 2015.  Please, tell me that I'm wrong and that I'll really be getting something for the tax increase.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Gas in my area went up 20 cents yesterday .... and I bet the roads will be great soon ...
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]
We live in a state that is ran by a GOP that is drunk on tax and spending that lacks the intestinal fortitude to do what is right.

I seriously am looking forward to being able to move...few more years, few more years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You forgot to mention that the Republicans passed the tax increase after we all voted against it in May and the deal included an earned income tax credit increase (i.e. more welfare) to get Demoncrat support to pass the bill. 

Thanks Michigan Republicans and Gov. Snyder. 
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You forgot to mention that the Republicans passed the tax increase after we all voted against it in May and the deal included an earned income tax credit increase (i.e. more welfare) to get Demoncrat support to pass the bill. 

Thanks Michigan Republicans and Gov. Snyder. 
View Quote

Glad important shit like "Hunters Pink" is having tax dollars spent on..here is a list of some of the new bills and "funds" : HERE
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Tricky Rickie, a rino, has yet to meet a tax he doesn't like, but he hasn't met a spending cut he likes. Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
One dumb nerd, that dude is a disgrace for a Republican.  
He also is giving nerds a bad name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top