Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2016 7:55:08 PM EDT
This happened pretty close to where I live.  Close enough that the deer may have wandered through my yard before.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/rochester-hills-family-says-man-shot-deer-in-their-backyard

"We've had him around for a couple of years," Tammy Trudeau said.

A buck made himself at home in the Avon Estates subdivision and especially liked hanging out at the Trudeau's home.

"Our neighbor noticed it first thing early in the morning," Tammy said.

Tammy's husband, Mark, went to look at the buck, which was lying on the ground.

"He was laying on the ground, so I walked back about 100 yards behind our house and it had been shot," Mark said.

The sheriff said the buck was shot by a .22 caliber rifle. The Trudeaus called police and the DNR to investigate. But before police could show up and before the DNR could get the deer's body, a man driving a blue SUV showed up.

The Trudeaus said the man drove right around back on their grass, picked up the deer and drove off.

Tammy got a picture of the man.

"I saw the guy, saw him pick this thing up," Tammy said.

She captured the suspected shooter while loading his deer up on what they said was a 2000-2004 blue Nissan Xterra with spoke wheels.

So, my question is, to what extent can you go to keep the guy off your property?  I've been wondering about this since I saw the article the other day.  Pretty sure it wouldn't be the greatest idea to shoot the guy and I'm not saying that I would but would it be legal?  Getting video of the guy and his license plate is probably a lot better and less costly idea.

How would anyone know if it was shot with a .22 if the deer was gone before the police showed up?

The police have caught the guy.  He's from Holly.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be illegal to shoot the guy unless he was threatening you and your life or grave bodily harm was at risk. We aren't Texas and we can't shoot people just for being on our property. The only thing you can do is tell him to leave and call the cops to trespass him.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#2]
What law did he break?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What law did he break?
View Quote

Discharged a weapon in city limits.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What law did he break?

Most likely a city ordinance against hunting and discharging a firearm too close to inhabited buildings. He most likely broke a number of laws. It's possible he was legal and that's just where the deer ran to and died, but I wouldn't put my money on that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How would anyone know if it was shot with a .22 if the deer was gone before the police showed up?

Thanks
View Quote

I've read accounts of DNR checking carcasses at taxidermists tagged as archery kills where they ID the cause of death as gunshot, and "enforcement action was taken."
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've read accounts of DNR checking carcasses at taxidermists tagged as archery kills where they ID the cause of death as gunshot, and "enforcement action was taken."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

They do check at processors also.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It would be illegal to shoot the guy unless he was threatening you and your life or grave bodily harm was at risk. We aren't Texas and we can't shoot people just for being on our property. The only thing you can do is tell him to leave and call the cops to trespass him.
View Quote

That's pretty much what I was thinking too.  Thanks for confirming it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Most likely a city ordinance against hunting and discharging a firearm too close to inhabited buildings. He most likely broke a number of laws. It's possible he was legal and that's just where the deer ran to and died, but I wouldn't put my money on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What law did he break?

There's no hunting or discharging of firearms allowed in Rochester Hills.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#9]
So, my question is, to what extent can you go to keep the guy off your property? I've been wondering about this since I saw the article the other day. Pretty sure it wouldn't be the greatest idea to shoot the guy and I'm not saying that I would but would it be legal? Getting video of the guy and his license plate is probably a lot better and less costly idea.
View Quote

Is your property posted with No Trespassing signs? If you don't want to argue with an armed hunter, call the State Police. Tell them someone is trespassing and you're willing to prosecute the guy
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What law did he break?

Plus, rifle caliber's are prohibited for hunting in that area too.  Isn't a .22 prohibited hunting round also?

Poaching would be another charge.

Shooting a deer from a road way would be another charge.

Trespassing would be another charge.

Destruction to private property would be another charge.

Reckless driving would be another charge.

I hope they throw the book at the asshole.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Update:  http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2016/11/10/deer-poaching-michigan-rochester-hills/93611956/

Sounds like it ended up being a crossbow, not a .22.  That should be the area near city hall with the Clinton River and the old railroad tracks.  Not surprised the guy thought he could get away with it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a picture I took from my yard a couple years ago.  There are a lot of deer around here.  Some are rather large.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
My mom and sister live up off Adams road.  Dozens of deer wandering across their six acres every afternoon. No hunting as far as I know, lotta vegan hippie PETA types up there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a to of deer in my yard. I don't know if I should be feeding them or letting them migrate naturally as I like watching them out my window. Not sure the neighbors would agree as they eat all the flowers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't even want to know how much my wife has spent on flowers and bushes.

Best salad bar anywhere for the deer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#16]
but the DNR has learned that he fired a crossbow loaded with a high-velocity hunting arrow

WTF?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top