Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2016 3:11:03 AM EDT
Looking specifically laws on having loaded mags and a ar.  Would the mags being in cab of the truck require the file to be locked in a case in the bed?  Can I even do it being from out of state?  Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Unfortunately, the DNR has no legal reference to backup the unloaded magazine statement, but you probably don't want to be the guy that fights that to prove them wrong. If you're not planning on hunting/fishing (or other activity where you'll run into DNR) you can keep the magazines loaded as long as they're not in the rifle.

ETA: There was another thread about this recently. I'll see if I can dig it up later.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That DNR rule on magazines is ment for a permanently attached magazine not a detachable.  But a 'uninformed CO'  could still give you a hard time.

From DNR

At all times when carried in or on a motor vehicle, including snowmobiles:

Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.
View Quote

Michigan Law

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:

(a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

(iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

Michigan State Police Legal Update 66

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._66_238184_7.pdf

Transporting ammunition and long-guns
MCL 750.227d describes the lawful way to
transport a shotgun or rifle. While they must
be unloaded, they may be transported in the
same case as ammunition (including loaded
magazines).
View Quote

Also note 750.227d will allow you to have a 'Taken Down' AR unloaded and on your passenger seat, no case required.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the truck a standard cab or crew cab?  I used to own a standard cab s-10, and there was just enough room behind the bench seat to lay a rifle.  With the position of the seat, there was no way I could access it unless I pulled over and flipped the seat forward.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#5]
By MI law a loaded gun is a gun with a magazine that has rounds in it or a round in the chamber.  Both are the same thing in the eyes of the law.

Your magazines can be loaded, but they need to be out of the rifle.   They can not be inserted with rounds in them.

I prefer to toss my mags in another box or bag, not the same case... mainly for simplicity reasons. But it does help remove intent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
By MI law a loaded gun is a gun with a magazine that has rounds in it or a round in the chamber.  Both are the same thing in the eyes of the law.

Your magazines can be loaded, but they need to be out of the rifle.   They can not be inserted with rounds in them.

I prefer to toss my mags in another box or bag, not the same case... mainly for simplicity reasons. But it does help remove intent.
View Quote

Last I saw there was case law to back this up.  I can't remember where I saw it, I think migunowners?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top