Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2016 2:05:26 AM EDT
My beat partner, who doesn't have an account here, sent a couple pistols to this guy for work over a year ago and all communication stopped about 7 months ago.  Does anyone know this guy or have used his shop? Did he go out of business?  Die?  He has already contacted the ATF but they seem...less than interested in his missing guns.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Its Todd Mckechnie customized creationz and he has done some work for me, few years ago.

He posted on FB as recent as 4-9-16, maybe try there. Good luck.
https://www.facebook.com/Customized-Creationz-116535888398539/?fref=ts
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Heard some good things, some bad things, and some horror stories.
Hope your friends experience turns out to be the first example
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive had great expierence with him doing my SBR engraving. He is still there as of a few months ago. I live about 10mins from his shop.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried checking over at migunowners.org?   I was involved in a failed AK group build deal and it was a real hassle getting the money back, took the involvement of the mods here and a bunch of time.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like the MGO lower fiasco with Barretone on the lead
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I know him.  It is my opinion that he is a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I love your brutal honesty Doug

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know him, but I will add this.  A general rule I have learned along the way in life is if the business you are dealing with has extra or cutesy letters added or switched out with the normal letters (especially x or z), the odds you will be confronted with a high level of douchebaggery greatly increases.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know him, but I will add this.  A general rule I have learned along the way in life is if the business you are dealing with has extra or cutesy letters added or switched out with the normal letters (especially x or z), the odds you will be confronted with a high level of douchebaggery greatly increases.
View Quote

It's funny you say that.  When I was asking him the name of the guys business I started laughing at him when he "corrected" my spelling.  I agree with you wholeheartedly!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Prepare your anus.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
It appears that after some involvement from local LE the guy called my partner and the work is getting done.  There is a reason that I source locally for work to be done, and it's stories just like this one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's funny you say that.  When I was asking him the name of the guys business I started laughing at him when he "corrected" my spelling.  I agree with you wholeheartedly!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have also added that the rule I mentioned above generally only applies to male business owners.  A womans business with a funny name usually is no worse than any other in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was wondering if Doug would see this thread
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#14]
It's pretty bad that you have to sick the law on someone to get them to do what they should.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I had some work done by CC once. Once.

Now, Doug, I've had work on multiple guns.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It appears that after some involvement from local LE the guy called my partner and the work is getting done.  There is a reason that I source locally for work to be done, and it's stories just like this one.
View Quote

I wouldn't count on it. I had a similar experience YEARS back, guess he is still at it. He stopped answering emails, but I found an ad by him on gunbroker or something. Lo and behold, he WAS answering emails, just not to the people he was screwing with. I had sent him my AK parts kit and some amount of money. Ultimately, I got the MI attorney general involved and FINALLY got some action after 3 months of trying to get resolution on what was supposed to be a "few minutes" job for $10. I got my AK kit sent back, a refund of my money and the original shipping as well when I got the MI AG complaint form filled out. This guy has plenty of history of this. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23482&highlight=Todd+Mckechnie&page=2

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, this guy has a long history of screwing over locals.  For a while he had a fairly vocal following defending him, even here.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

...that makes second rate copies of others original work.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#19]
He engraved a lower for me a few months ago, was not aware of the bad rep. He won't engrave another. I hear veritas does great work,
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He engraved a lower for me a few months ago, was not aware of the bad rep. He won't engrave another. I hear veritas does great work,
View Quote

Yes. If I lived across the country I would still send to Veritas.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:11:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I used him once to laser engrave my fathers badge and refinish his model 36 in nickle plate no issues. Didn't care for his office guy but think he quit or got fired
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top