Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2016 7:32:24 AM EDT
....to Michigan and go shooting at my friends property?  FYI, I'm an Ohio resident and can legally own firearms. My understanding is that
Michigan has pistol licensing requirements: We have no such foolishness here in Ohio....
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have an Ohio CPL?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Edit apparently Michigan laws are more complicated than I remember.    This has come up before, should've remembered you do need your  CPL for a non resident handgun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have an Ohio CPL?
View Quote

No: I don't carry. I do transport my firearms unloaded & cased when I go to the range here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Short answer either way is yes.

If you don't have your conceal carry license then you just need to have the gun unloaded and cased in your trunk for transport.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you have an Ohio CPL?

Short answer either way is yes.

If you don't have your conceal carry license then you just need to have the gun unloaded and cased in your trunk for transport.

Thanks! Was sifting thru the various links to Michigan law, and could not figure-out about non-resident possession.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#5]
MCL 28.422:
(9) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

(10) An individual who is a nonresident of this state shall present the license described in subsection (9)(a) upon the demand of a police officer. An individual who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
View Quote

By my reading of the law, you are not allowed to posses a pistol in MI. You do not have an Ohio CCW license, and Ohio does not provide pistol licenses; therefore, you do not meet the requirements of 9a.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Rjbergen nailed it.  Get your Ohio Concealed Handgun License, and all your difficulties with pistol possession in Michigan go away...
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:41:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Send an email to [email protected]. Jim is a good guy and well versed in MI firearms law. He should be able to give you a quick answer pro-bono. Most local law enforcement are not fully up on our firearms laws so he'd be your best bet, if something were to go wrong at least you'd have the right guy on your side.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MCL 28.422:

By my reading of the law, you are not allowed to posses a pistol in MI. You do not have an Ohio CCW license, and Ohio does not provide pistol licenses; therefore, you do not meet the requirements of 9a.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
MCL 28.422:
(9) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

(10) An individual who is a nonresident of this state shall present the license described in subsection (9)(a) upon the demand of a police officer. An individual who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

So how did all the out of state pistol shooters legally bring their pistol to Michigan for matches before CPL's were the norm?  
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: So how did all the out of state pistol shooters legally bring their pistol to Michigan for matches before CPL's were the norm?
View Quote
Just spitballing here, but the current MCL 28.422 provides an exemption while engaged in certain activities at a range:

(13) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.

I don't know if the federal Safe Passage provisions of the FOPA would apply to transporting the pistol in Michigan to-and-from the range, that may open up a whole other can of worms.  MCL 28.422 has been amended several times, it's possible it read differently before shall-issue handgun licenses became commonplace.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top