Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 9:07:08 PM EDT
Thinking of something fun to do with the girlfriend for Sunday. She loves going up to Silver Lake during the summer so I know she would have a blast this time of year too. But I got to thinking about Sleeping Bear tonight. Would it be worth the extra drive up? I've never been to them and it's already a two hour drive to Silver for us. Any thoughts?

Squatch
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Never went in the winter, been there in the summer.  Very worth it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Lake Effect Snow and cold
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been to Sleeping Bear 3 times now I think. It's a lot of fun during the summer, but I can't imagine it being much fun in the winter. It's purely hiking and there's nothing to rent like at Silver Lake.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks fellas. I'll probably pass on the dunes until springtime. Thought maybe it would somehow be a winter wonderland.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks fellas. I'll probably pass on the dunes until springtime. Thought maybe it would somehow be a winter wonderland.
View Quote

One piece of advice when you go though:  There are signs that warn that the dunes are steep, sandy, and difficult to climb so avoid trying to do so; they are not lying.  You may be tempted to climb one for the view or think you can get down to the water then just walk back up, I advise against it.  They are easy to walk down, and fun to run down, but walking back up is a bitch, even if your in decent shape, it will suck all the wind, energy, and stamina right out of you, most people finish crawling, literally, because they no longer have the strength to stand.  You've been warned.  If you feel the urge, just do mountain climbers till you puke, you'll get the same feeling when your done.  If you stick to the trails though it's a pretty place to visit and a nice place to spend the afternoon, but I wouldn't recommend it if it's really hot though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

One piece of advice when you go though:  There are signs that warn that the dunes are steep, sandy, and difficult to climb so avoid trying to do so; they are not lying.  You may be tempted to climb one for the view or think you can get down to the water then just walk back up, I advise against it.  They are easy to walk down, and fun to run down, but walking back up is a bitch, even if your in decent shape, it will suck all the wind, energy, and stamina right out of you, most people finish crawling, literally, because they no longer have the strength to stand.  You've been warned.  If you feel the urge, just do mountain climbers till you puke, you'll get the same feeling when your done.  If you stick to the trails though it's a pretty place to visit and a nice place to spend the afternoon, but I wouldn't recommend it if it's really hot though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh definitely, we go up there all the time during the warm months both walking/jogging and with 4x4s. Basically our second home lol. It will probably be too cold to really want to venture too far anyways. Thanks for the reminder though, it brings back memories of my first time going out there. Jello legs for days.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
-1 windchill at Ludington now
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
-1 windchill at Ludington now
View Quote

Fuuuuck I was just out ice fishing. Sitting on a bucket, no shanty. Winter ain't got nothing on the squatch.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Sit on a bucket all day and you may get a sore back, my ice fishing subculture group Around Lake St Clair  called it BucketBack.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit I climbed the big dunes at 15 years old and it sucked big time.  Bring extra water for the climb back up.  Climbing them with no water is painfully dehydrating.
Would not attempt to this time of year snow and ice on a 80 degree incline sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top