Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/3/2015 3:39:08 PM EDT
The World Series is now over, and The Team Who Shall Not Be Named are the Champions. The disappointment of 2015 is now behind us, soon the free agents will be on the market and the hopes of the 2016 season will now begin.

The Tigers now have a new general manager in Al Avila, a new pitching coach in Rich Dubee, Daniel Norris is cancer free and our veterans have had an extra month to reset, relax and prepare for their 2016 World Championship Run!

Which free agents or trade targets do you want to see the Tigers go after?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to see them pick up Jeff Samardzija.

However, from what I read, he's looking for a long contract and I don't think the Tigers should get so heavily invested in another 30+ year old pitcher.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd love to see them pick up Jeff Samardzija.

However, from what I read, he's looking for a long contract and I don't think the Tigers should get so heavily invested in another 30+ year old pitcher.
View Quote

for sure, we really have to start looking at some younger arms and players, we have enough veterans, need to pay big money for a closer or 2
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't mind if they went after an older veteran on a cheap contract for a year or two, say Bartolo Colon or John Lackey to fill a low rotation, innings eater kind of role while Boyd, Greene and Fulmer developed, and then maybe trade for a pitcher from a team that has a surplus of pitching.

I wouldn't want them to go out and sign another veteran closer. I would see if they can target a trade or if they can develop one of the current guys into a closer. I also wouldn't want them to go after any free agent relievers. There is going to be a contest in spring training between Norris, Boyd, Greene, Lobstein and maybe Farmer to fill the 5th starter role. I would put three of the losers in the bullpen with Wilson, Hardy and Ver Hagen. If you need someone else then try and trade or maybe take a flyer on someone.

Guys I think are trade bait are Igleias and Jacoby Jones. Maybe Shane Greene too.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the Tigers going to stick with Rondon after way his season ended?  Is he trade bait?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are the Tigers going to stick with Rondon after way his season ended?  Is he trade bait?
View Quote

He could be. Apparently he is playing Winter ball in Venezuela and he was the first player to sign up for the Tigers winter caravan. Al Avila says that Rondon is showing that he realizes his mistake and is trying to make up for it. We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Was waiting for this thread.Now to wait even longer! haha
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]
And it look like we're off to a good start already!

The Joe Nathan era with the Tigers officially ended Tuesday, when the team declined the injured closer's $10 million option for next season and added pitching prospectLuis Cessa to the 40-man roster in his place.

Under terms of Nathan's contract, the Tigers will pay him $1 million to buy out the option. He immediately becomes a free agent.

The decision was pretty much a formality once Nathan underwent Tommy John surgery in April, ending his 2015 season after one outing, one batter, one strikeout and one save -- all on Opening Day against the Twins. Nathan, who turns 41 later this month, spent the rest of the season rehabbing and has said he hopes to pitch again at some point next season, though being ready for Spring Training might be difficult.

The Tigers signed Nathan to a two-year, $20 million contract as a free agent in December 2013, hoping to lock down ninth-inning save opportunities after watching bullpen struggles help doom them in the 2013 American League Championship Series against Boston. Nathan was coming off a dominant 2013 season in Texas, but he never found that form in Detroit and instead encountered some of his toughest times since undergoing his previous Tommy John surgery in 2010.

Nathan saved 35 games in 2014 but suffered seven blown saves and posted a 4.81 ERA along the way. He gave up 60 hits over 58 innings, walked 29 batters and struck out 54. His 8.4 strikeouts per nine innings marked his lowest rate since he was a starter with the Giants in 2000.

Nathan changed his offseason workouts, designed to strengthen his arm and feel younger overall. He felt better, but he still dealt with his share of offensive damage during Grapefruit League. He went into the season as the closer before his elbow betrayed him.

Cessa was part of the return package the Tigers received from the Mets in the Yoenis Cespedes trade July 31. The 23-year-old right-hander was a standout in the Mets' system at Double-A Binghamton, going 7-4 with a 2.56 ERA in 13 starts, but he struggled at Triple-A, both at Las Vegas before the trade and Toledo afterwards. He ranks sixth on MLB.com's Tigers prospect list.

Detroit needed to add Cessa to the 40-man roster at some point this month to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft in December.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

And it look like we're off to a good start already!http://m.mlb.com/news/article/156395102/tigers-decline-closer-joe-nathans-option

The Joe Nathan era with the Tigers officially ended Tuesday, when the team declined the injured closer's $10 million option for next season and added pitching prospectLuis Cessa to the 40-man roster in his place.

Under terms of Nathan's contract, the Tigers will pay him $1 million to buy out the option. He immediately becomes a free agent.

View Quote

The decision was pretty much a formality once Nathan underwent Tommy John surgery in April, ending his 2015 season after one outing, one batter, one strikeout and one save -- all on Opening Day against the Twins. Nathan, who turns 41 later this month, spent the rest of the season rehabbing and has said he hopes to pitch again at some point next season, though being ready for Spring Training might be difficult.

The Tigers signed Nathan to a two-year, $20 million contract as a free agent in December 2013, hoping to lock down ninth-inning save opportunities after watching bullpen struggles help doom them in the 2013 American League Championship Series against Boston. Nathan was coming off a dominant 2013 season in Texas, but he never found that form in Detroit and instead encountered some of his toughest times since undergoing his previous Tommy John surgery in 2010.

Nathan saved 35 games in 2014 but suffered seven blown saves and posted a 4.81 ERA along the way. He gave up 60 hits over 58 innings, walked 29 batters and struck out 54. His 8.4 strikeouts per nine innings marked his lowest rate since he was a starter with the Giants in 2000.

Nathan changed his offseason workouts, designed to strengthen his arm and feel younger overall. He felt better, but he still dealt with his share of offensive damage during Grapefruit League. He went into the season as the closer before his elbow betrayed him.

Cessa was part of the return package the Tigers received from the Mets in the Yoenis Cespedes trade July 31. The 23-year-old right-hander was a standout in the Mets' system at Double-A Binghamton, going 7-4 with a 2.56 ERA in 13 starts, but he struggled at Triple-A, both at Las Vegas before the trade and Toledo afterwards. He ranks sixth on MLB.com's Tigers prospect list.

Detroit needed to add Cessa to the 40-man roster at some point this month to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft in December.

Bye.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm fucking done with MLB Network. They just can't pass up a chance to kick the Tigers.

Tonight they did a little segment on Petco Park because they have it turned into a golf course for some charity event where 1,500 golfers are going to play the holes there. So they have a little segment where they ask who would be your baseball foursome? So that fucking degenerate psychopath shit head nobody Eric Byrnes says well my foursome would be Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio and Lou Gehrig.and they show a photoshop with these guys playing golf with this California sissy asswipe...and then he says, "but I'd also have Ty Cobb be my caddy" and they show a photoshop of this brain damaged nobody, this subhuman degenerate, this fucking piece of horse shit, this drugged out California pervert, this degenerate fucking psychopath fucking monkey ass, candy ass, cockgobbling dipshit out playing golf with Ty Cobb as his caddy.

This fucking nobody, that no one will ever remember for anything has the goddamn stones to say that the greatest baseball player of all time would be his fucking caddy? Ty Cobb would rip his fucking nuts off, beat him half to death and then fuck his wife. But this fucking asshole just can't NOT kick the fucking Tigers. Fucking cocksucker.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Well that about sums up your feelings, eh
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
JD Martinez won a Silver Slugger.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Miggy won a Silver a Slugger too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The Tigers got K-Rod, Francisco Rodriguez, from the Brewers in return for Single A Infielder Javier Betancourt and a player to be named later.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#14]
So is that good? I played AABC next to Olympia and I wasn't worth shit
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So is that good? I played AABC next to Olympia and I wasn't worth shit
View Quote

Well, they got an All Star, strike out per inning closer with a very low walk rate who has blown 7 saves in 89 chances over the last two seasons in exchange for someone no one even knew was in our farm system. I'd say that's pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
The Tigers traded Ian Krol to Atlanta for Cameron Maybin.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:26:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Alex Avila went to Chicago!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Alex Avila went to Chicago!
View Quote

YAY!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Heard that on MLB , kept surfing without it sinking in, but yeah!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#20]
"Jordan Zimmermann, Tigers reach 5-year, $110 million deal"

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14249237/jordan-zimmermann-detroit-tigers-reach-free-agent-deal

"The 29-year-old Zimmermann was 13-10 with a 3.66 ERA in a career-high 33 starts for the Nationals last season. The 6-foot-2, 225-pounder won 19 games in 2013, tied for most in the National League."

Great, another big contract to an aging pitcher...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#21]
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/11/analysis_first-year_gm_al_avil.html

"That's not to say the Tigers got a steal in Zimmermann. That remains to be seen. There are signs that suggest Zimmermann, who will turn 30 in May, is starting to trend downward.

Zimmermann is coming off the worst full season of his career after posting a career high in ERA (3.66) and allowing career-highs in hits, runs and home runs. He also displayed a dramatic dip in velocity this past season, with only 296 of his total pitches touching 94-plus miles per hour.

For comparison's sake, 928 of his pitches touched 94-plus mph in 2014."
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a feeling Doug Fister will be invited to Tigers spring training if no one picks him up. I like him, fun pitcher to watch. Too bad he had a bum season last year.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/11/analysis_first-year_gm_al_avil.html

"That's not to say the Tigers got a steal in Zimmermann. That remains to be seen. There are signs that suggest Zimmermann, who will turn 30 in May, is starting to trend downward.

Zimmermann is coming off the worst full season of his career after posting a career high in ERA (3.66) and allowing career-highs in hits, runs and home runs. He also displayed a dramatic dip in velocity this past season, with only 296 of his total pitches touching 94-plus miles per hour.

For comparison's sake, 928 of his pitches touched 94-plus mph in 2014."
View Quote

Lets find some undetectable roids for this guy!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the deal. Still young enough for a five year deal.

Always a little worried about a NL pitcher coming to the AL but
Comerica should help him out.

Still like to see them get one more short term starter just so we can give Norris some time and not rush him.

If not a pitcher..........how about Alex Gordon!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#25]
hes had TJ surgery
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Also got Saltimachia(Sp?) to back up McCann...

Al Avila is going OFF!!

Best part is, they still have a good budget to work with, have made nothing but positive gains, and have some built in equity with several that can be swapped quickly.

Nope. Not missing Dombrowski. Not a bit.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Al Avila is going OFF!!

Best part is, they still have a good budget to work with, have made nothing but positive gains, and have some built in equity with several that can be swapped quickly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Al Avila is going OFF!!

The best part is to see his name wrapped around his back on his jersey. lol :)

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Something is odd with the Saltalamacchia signing. I know he's a switch hitter but he was so bad Miami cut him and is still paying him 16M over the next two years.

Plus we have Holaday. Saltalamacchia has a higher SO rate that Alex Avila!

Switch hitter and all that I know and they got him for league minimum so we'll see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://m.tigers.mlb.com/news/article/158976458/tigers-announce-two-year-deal-for-mike-pelfrey

Mike Pelfrey -- $16 million contract  2yrs

Al Avila is going OFF!!

Something is odd with the Saltalamacchia signing. I know he's a switch hitter but he was so bad Miami cut him and is still paying him 16M over the next two years.

Plus we have Holaday. Saltalamacchia has a higher SO rate that Alex Avila!

Switch hitter and all that I know and they got him for league minimum so we'll see.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Salty had a bad year last year, and has never been more than a contact hitter.

I am thinking they moved off the roster because they have an option on a younger Catcher, with better OBP.

Either way, he was CHEAP, and makes good trading fodder and a developmental tool if he gets dropped to Toledo.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Salty had a bad year last year, and has never been more than a contact hitter.

I am thinking they moved off the roster because they have an option on a younger Catcher, with better OBP.

Either way, he was CHEAP, and makes good trading fodder and a developmental tool if he gets dropped to Toledo.
View Quote

Yes. I can see that. Now I'm hearing that with AA gone they wanted a mentor for McCann which makes sense.

Might not fair too well for Holaday.

Anyway it's good to see we are getting more starting pitching. That should give guys like Farmer more time to develop.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Tigers add left-handed reliever Justin Wilson

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Well it looks like Avila is going all in! Per Mr. Ilitch

It's great to see!

I was not going to  Tigerfest  this year the first time in 11years
But I can not stay away!!! Tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10am. Season ticket holders
get early access passes. Going to the batting cages first!!!!!

If your a big fan and have never gone to Tigerfest your really missing out on a great day!

GO TIGERS 2016
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:21:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It's great to see!

But I can not stay away!!! Tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10am. Season ticket holders

If your a big fan and have never gone to Tigerfest your really missing out on a great day!

GO TIGERS 2016
View Quote
Never been.And may have to fix that!!

Do you know how many tics they sell?

And If I lived closer,I'd definitely be a season holder! They call me about it every year.But as I tell them..a 5+ hour round trip can be a pain in the ass!
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Tigers add left-handed reliever Justin Wilson

View Quote

YES!!!

The Pen is already 100% better than it was last year, and the year before.

Starting rotation is almost as good as 2014.

Defense is better than 14 or 15.

Offense is as good as 14 and 15.

A couple more good prospects for depth, and some investment in the farm, and it's gonna be a good year!!

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And If I lived closer,I'd definitely be a season holder! They call me about it every year.But as I tell them..a 5+ hour round trip can be a pain in the ass!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's great to see!

GO TIGERS 2016

They never release ticket numbers but it is always very crowded.

If you can not get the early entry passes your best bet is to be there by 8am.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like Rondon won't be with the Tiger's for too much longer with this type of behavior. :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/bruce-rondon-involved-in-bench-clearing-in-winter-ball-050522435.html

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#39]
1-year deal w/ Mike Aviles.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks like Rondon won't be with the Tiger's for too much longer with this type of behavior. :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/bruce-rondon-involved-in-bench-clearing-in-winter-ball-050522435.html

View Quote

Got a hijacking alert on that video so I closed it out, but not before seeing that Rondon was clearly the troublemaker and started the altercation
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Did Motown get banned or something?
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Did Motown get banned or something?
View Quote

I wondered the same thing.  Searched a little and couldn't find anything.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

That sucks!!!
I liked Rajai...
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or not:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/12/20/al-avila-bruce-rondon/77672100/

Must be desperate to keep him.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or not:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/12/20/al-avila-bruce-rondon/77672100/

Are you being facetious?

"...he will have to show significant improvement on his 5.81 ERA this past season and, off the field, on what he displayed in order to have any chance at cracking the club out of spring."
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Are you being facetious?

"...he will have to show significant improvement on his 5.81 ERA this past season and, off the field, on what he displayed in order to have any chance at cracking the club out of spring."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or not:

Are you being facetious?

Yes and No:

“That’s not exactly what we want,” Avila said about Rondon’s involvement. “But at the same time, I’m sure he’s going to take it as a learning experience.”

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#48]
When you throw 100 MPH + you get special treatment
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When you throw 100 MPH + you get special treatment
View Quote

True.  Just look at Zumaya when we had him here.  Drew fans to the ballpark to watch him pitch.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#50]
today that the club has traded LHP Kyle Lobstein to the Pirates in exchange for cash considerations.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top