Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2015 8:03:51 PM EDT
The title sums it up. I don't have a reason to leave it as a pistol, can I make a rifle out of it without SBRing?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep. Just put a 16" or longer barrel and stock. You can never change it back though as it will then be a rifle. You can send a letter to MSP firearms division in Lansing if you want to remove it from the pistol registration. Not that it really matters at that point.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, it's the letter part that I was most curious about. Is it a form letter or simply a statement about what I've done to pistol snxxxx and that it is no longer a pistol?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep. Just put a 16" or longer barrel and stock. You can never change it back though as it will then be a rifle. You can send a letter to MSP firearms division in Lansing if you want to remove it from the pistol registration. Not that it really matters at that point.
View Quote

This. As long as it has a 16"+ barrel and a 26"+ OAL, you're fine. As for the letter, the MSP probably won't even bother to remove it from the database. If it were me, I wouldn't bother sending a letter.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:30:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
....You can never change it back though as it will then be a rifle......
View Quote

Not true.

As long as a firearm starts out life as a pistol, you can convert to a rifle and back to a pistol as often as you like. Just make sure you assemble in the correct order so you don't accidentally make an SBR in the process.

Pistol -> Rifle: Remove pistol upper, install rifle upper, install buttstock
Rifle -> Pistol: Remove buttstock, remove rifle upper, install pistol upper
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the correction. That's right I forgot about the TC Contender ruling.
ATF 2011-4
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate reading BATFE documents, between the legalese and the lack of comon sense it just hurts, but thanks for the link. It told me what I needed to know in the wordiest possible way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top