Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2015 9:54:59 PM EDT
Ok never thought I would say this, but considering moving back to the mitten. The looters and lunatics out here in Seattle are too much

as it stands now we can have SBRs but can not make or manufacture them, they have to come from a supplier

what is the story in MI?

I have an MP5 clone that needs a stock and a new PS90 that needs to be SBRed

How difficult is it to do that for a MI citizen?

BTW if you liked Atlas Shrugged the book, the real life version is happening in WA state....it would be amusing if it did not cost me money
anyway thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing to special here in Michigan with 1 exception. You can file a form 1 and when approved turn it into an SBR.

All the normal federal stuff applies and you can decide if you wish to file the Form1 as an individual or as a Trust. Normal NFA/SBR stuff.

The only thing to be aware of, if the SBR is less than 26" overall, the state of Michigan considers it a pistol, and Michigan has pistol registration. Of course you would have already registered the mp5 pistol when you moved into the state so that's a moot point, but it's important for people building SBR's from stripped receivers or chopping something like a PS90, once they are bult they are Federal SBR's. but state pistols and need registered if less than 26".

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll be hit and miss for LEO sign off depending on where you move to. A trust is the easy way to go.

Plenty of Class III/NFA dealers in state. Several gun shops and engravers also to help set them up if needed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing to special here in Michigan with 1 exception. You can file a form 1 and when approved turn it into an SBR.

All the normal federal stuff applies and you can decide if you wish to file the Form1 as an individual or as a Trust. Normal NFA/SBR stuff.

The only thing to be aware of, if the SBR is less than 26" overall, the state of Michigan considers it a pistol, and Michigan has pistol registration. Of course you would have already registered the mp5 pistol when you moved into the state so that's a moot point, but it's important for people building SBR's from stripped receivers or chopping something like a PS90, once they are bult they are Federal SBR's. but state pistols and need registered if less than 26".

View Quote

I never considered the pistol exist ration portion to be burdensome with SBR's and SBS's because it allows them to be carried loaded on your person or in your vehicle on your Concealed Pistols License. When details for the new law were being ironed out, this was mentioned to the State Police and they weren't concerned about it because they didn't think too many people would actually be doing it. I know I would, same as the rifles I bought back when the limit was 30".
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I never considered the pistol exist ration portion to be burdensome with SBR's and SBS's because it allows them to be carried loaded on your person or in your vehicle on your Concealed Pistols License. When details for the new law were being ironed out, this was mentioned to the State Police and they weren't concerned about it because they didn't think too many people would actually be doing it. I know I would, same as the rifles I bought back when the limit was 30".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have an SBR less than 26", it's okay to carry it loaded with a CPL? I've been told rifle mags loaded in the car are a no no, but if it's registered as a pistol that's okay?

I'm thinking about SBRing an SLR106UR and would love to be able to throw it in the car with CPL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:If you have an SBR less than 26", it's okay to carry it loaded with a CPL? I've been told rifle mags loaded in the car are a no no, but if it's registered as a pistol that's okay?  

I'm thinking about SBRing an SLR106UR and would love to be able to throw it in the car with CPL.
View Quote

All correct.

Except the loaded mags part, that's BS
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

All correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:If you have an SBR less than 26", it's okay to carry it loaded with a CPL? I've been told rifle mags loaded in the car are a no no, but if it's registered as a pistol that's okay?  

All correct.

Yes, you can carry an SBR with an OAL under 26" as a concealed weapon under your CPL. There is not restriction on loaded mags in MI. You can have all of the loaded mags you want. They just can't be in the rifle unless it's an SBR with an OAL under 26" and you have a CPL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you have an SBR less than 26", it's okay to carry it loaded with a CPL? I've been told rifle mags loaded in the car are a no no, but if it's registered as a pistol that's okay?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will have to be registered as a pistol, it's not an option, and loaded rifle magazines are fine in a vehicle if they aren't in the rifle. An SBR is not a rifle in the context of the law that bars you from having a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
When did they legalize SBRs in MI?

I knew they legalized machine guns several years ago. What about silencers?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
All are good to go.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When did they legalize SBRs in MI?

I knew they legalized machine guns several years ago. What about silencers?
View Quote

Suppressors are good to go now too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top