Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2015 9:27:30 AM EDT
What does it take to own a SBR in Michigan?

I read the sticky thread but was lost in all of the political mumbo-jumbo.

Is there really a $200 fee to own a SBR?  That's what I've read around the Internet.

Any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Michigan has the 2nd highest paid legislature in the Country (behind CA), and while we're making some headway.....our gun laws are still way too complicated.
This of course, only hinders the law-abiding who have to sort through the mess in order to be in compliance.

[rant off  ;-]

A SBR needs to have a NFA-registered lower, and pay the $200 tax stamp.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
To own an SBR in Michigan is the same as to own in anywhere. You do have to follow all federal laws.

To build or buy an SBR you must register it with the ATF per the National Firearms Act. (NFA)

As an individual you must

Fill out a form 1 (build) or form 4 (buy), have your sheriff or chief LEO sign it. Then have your fingerprints taken. Send in the completed form, your fingerprints, a check for $200 dollars, and wait about 5-7 months right now, and once approved you may take home or build your SBR.

If your sheriff won't sign or prefer to have the benefits of a trust.

Go to a lawyer or use a service to create a trust for that trust to own the gun. Go have it notarized. Fill out a form 4 to buy or form 1 to build a SBR, pay $200 tax stamp, wait 5-7 months.

With both options if you choose to build and not buy a factory SBR you must engrave the firearms with your name and city and state. If its a trust you engrave the trust name, city and state.

Check the class 3 section in the armory section of the site.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
^ That's it all in a nut shell^
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done the finger print route and the Trust route. Trust is the way to go. You can E-File your Form 1 with the ATF. Takes about 3 months for approval. Real easy to do.

I used the build your trust from Silencer Shop. Easy to fill out. Works without a problem. Same wording as other "Lawyer" trusts. Plus only cost $130.00 to do. Well worth it if your going build/register more than one. If your thinking about NFA firearms, your gonna wind up doing more than one. A SBR is lonely without a suppressor.

Plus, with a trust your beneficiaries take them over when you die. No transfers needed.

To answer your other question, either way you have to pay the $200 tax per form.

If your concerned about doing it yourself, any Class 3 dealer can help you also.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^ That's it all in a nut shell^
View Quote

And to add....

If you buy (Form 4) or make (Form 1) an SBR that is 26" or less in it's shortest operable configuration (non-pinned muzzle device removed and buttstock collapsed), then you are required to register it as a pistol with the State of Michigan.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Trust is the way to go. I have done personal and trust and the trust is by far less work.

If you are looking for the easy route for SBR you can either buy a pistol and add the stock (i went that route with my AK SBR) or if doing an AR, buy the rifle lower and pistol upper. After the approved Form 1 is received of course. I know wait times have gone up but my E-Filed Form 1 for my trust came back in 37 days. It would have been sooner but I did it over a holiday break.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My route to an SBR in Michigan was to buy a Sig 556 Pistol, 10 1/2 barrel, and did the form 1 route to register it with the ATF.

While I was waiting on my stamp, I found a Sig factory lower with a Magpul CTR stock. Got the upper engraved.
When the stamp came back, I installed the lower.

Vola, my SBR, which is under 26'' OAL with stock collapsed, but since it was already a pistol, and registered as one, so I'm good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My route to an SBR in Michigan was to buy a Sig 556 Pistol, 10 1/2 barrel, and did the form 1 route to register it with the ATF.

While I was waiting on my stamp, I found a Sig factory lower with a Magpul CTR stock. Got the upper engraved.

Vola, my SBR, which is under 26'' OAL with stock collapsed, but since it was already a pistol, and registered as one, so I'm good.
View Quote

Huh? The lower is the registered piece of the SBR. Are you sure you did that correctly? Sure doesn't sound like it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Hope he meant lower and not upper. Typo?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure doesn't sound like a typo... How could he have filed the stamp and be waiting on it prior to buying the lower he used in the SBR?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Boys, AR's including Sig 516, the lower is the registered part.

On the 556, not an AR, the upper is the registered part. And yes, I did it right.

At work, so I can't access any pictures to upload. Their server blocks this kind of activity.

On edit:

Go to this sub forum and scroll through the pictures, you should see some showing the serial number on the left side above the parting line

I can't link to a particular posting as the pictures will not download here at work.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_45/225183_SIG_556_Photo_Thread__just_pics_please_.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]
This picture belongs to member fustercluck
You can clearly see the serial number on the upper portion of that Sig 556.
Not on a lower receiver like AR's .
That is an Sig NH US manufactured upper on a Swiss manufactured lower.
He posted in this thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_45/225183_SIG_556_Photo_Thread__just_pics_please_.html&page=29

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top